S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

swapping 07 into my 01 with CT kit

Old 03-19-2009, 11:15 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts
Default swapping 07 into my 01 with CT kit

Hey guys, I am considering doing a F22 swap from a low mile 07 drive by wire in my 01, it is fully complete swap out of another car. It will be be boosted with my igzisting CT kit. A few things come to mind about how strait forward this swap is going to be for me and just wanted to get some input from some of you that either may have done this swap before or can think of some issue that I may need to deal with that I am not. Right now these are the things that cross my mind that are different but may or may not be a problem, let me know what you think about these and if you can think of anything else. Thanks in advance!

- My stock 01 ecu will be used until a full EMS is used, I may need to drive with this configuration for some time, even take emissions, I know I will need to be carefull of over revving the F22 do to the Ap1 ECU. Is there anything else?

- Its a drive By wire set up, I will want to convert to my current cable configuration to work with my ecu, whats involved in this? maniflod swap and a few sensors? I would like to remove manifold anyway and add hondata gasket.

- The trans comes intact with the F22 but I will crack it open and swap out the flywheel with my igzisting 8 pound findanza and swap out the clutch since mine has over 100k

Thanks guys
Old 03-19-2009, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should save yourself a headache and get an 04/05 swap w/ ecu
Old 03-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Community Organizer

Really? Is that your experience becuase of the drive by wire? There is no 04/05 available currently, not with only 8k miles on it anyway. How difficult is swapping out my cable set up from the drive by wire? Just braketry or maybe the whole manifold? I'm thinking it would be pretty strait forward but I dont know for sure. I wonder if my 01 ecu will throw CEL with that motor and not be able to pass emissions... or will the redline just be the only thing to watch out for? I guess those are the two biggest questions. The only thing diffent between the motors internally is the rod length, I figure as long as I get the drive by wire removed and all related sensors etc that the different ecu would operat the same, unless timing/fueling is really different? But I have heard of guys swapping the ecu before just to get the extanded rpm range.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:58 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

do some research mang. A guy recently did this, and its a bunch of work. You need to change cam sensors, crank sensors, DBW. You also need to change the intake plenum. You also won't pass emissions because the DBW doesn't have the air injection system built into the head.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:08 PM

Someone correct me if I am wrong but the easiest way (if you are really intent on using this particular f22c swap from an 07) is to use your current head with the new bottom end.

The F20c ECU with the F22c should work, because as you mentioned many AP2 owners have done the ECU swap for the redline.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Soul Coughing,Mar 19 2009, 11:58 AM
do some research mang. A guy recently did this, and its a bunch of work. You need to change cam sensors, crank sensors, DBW. You also need to change the intake plenum. You also won't pass emissions because the DBW doesn't have the air injection system built into the head.
Wouldnt all this be transferable from my motor? easy to do once they are both out? Do you think its still complicated to perform the swap with a 04/05 or is it pretty much the same as an F20? I figure on the 06+ I would need to swap the manifolds to conver the driv by wire, but once both motors are out that should be a snap, I want to do the hondata gasket anyway.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:19 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by devs2k,Mar 19 2009, 12:08 PM
Someone correct me if I am wrong but the easiest way (if you are really intent on using this particular f22c swap from an 07) is to use your current head with the new bottom end.

The F20c ECU with the F22c should work, because as you mentioned many AP2 owners have done the ECU swap for the redline.
yeah thats what I thought... and shouldnt matter if its a drive by wire motor since anything related to that would be removed. The question is what all does that mean. Crank sensors as mentioned? Not sure whats involved there. Is it just something easy to unplug or swap?
Old 03-19-2009, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky,Mar 19 2009, 04:19 PM
yeah thats what I thought... and shouldnt matter if its a drive by wire motor since anything related to that would be removed. The question is what all does that mean. Crank sensors as mentioned? Not sure whats involved there. Is it just something easy to unplug or swap?
As long as you don't use the 07 cylinder head, then you are fine. No need to change any sensors.

However, this does opening up that nice stock motor
Old 03-19-2009, 12:29 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky,Mar 19 2009, 03:13 PM
Wouldnt all this be transferable from my motor? easy to do once they are both out? Do you think its still complicated to perform the swap with a 04/05 or is it pretty much the same as an F20? I figure on the 06+ I would need to swap the manifolds to conver the driv by wire, but once both motors are out that should be a snap, I want to do the hondata gasket anyway.
if your goal is to run stock ECU's and pass emissions, you can't use the stock 01 ecu with a 06+ head. The air injection ports in the head are missing. This is the opposite of a hondata swap. So research what needs to be changed with that.

If you want to use the bottom end, swap your head from the ap1 and call it a day.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:33 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Soul Coughing,Mar 19 2009, 12:29 PM
if your goal is to run stock ECU's and pass emissions, you can't use the stock 01 ecu with a 06+ head. The air injection ports in the head are missing. This is the opposite of a hondata swap. So research what needs to be changed with that.

If you want to use the bottom end, swap your head from the ap1 and call it a day.
Yeah I dont want to swap heads, and I do want to be able to use the ap1 ecu to pass emissions. Thanks for that information!

So I want to be clear, and 04/05 if I want to use a f22 and that should be strait forward same as f20 with no issues?

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: swapping 07 into my 01 with CT kit