S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Trying to keep a/c cool

Old 04-24-2014, 09:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trying to keep a/c cool

Ok ive been logging my coolant temp these past couple of day now, My coolant never goes above 180-185 sitting in bumper to bumper traffic with 97+ ambient temp. Pushing the car ive yet to see anything over 190 with 97+ ambient. Ive never over heated, Nor have i ever seen my temp gauge get to 4 bars (ap1)

Im running stock fan, stock radiator. SOS super charger aftercooled with a frozen boost heat exchanger. (aem v2)

Problem:

A/c only blows cold when moving. A/c fan and engine fan coming on like normal. When you sit at a light for more than a minute it gets hot again. Coolant temps are still in check. (both fans remain on ive checked)

My theory is that the stock fans aren't pulling enough air through the exchanger to cool it down. Being that i don't really need a upgraded radiator, Would something as easy like the mishimoto fans and shroud fix my problem? My only fear is that are rated at 1150cfm which i think is right around stock fan cfm.

If im going to have to upgrade to a custom spal extreme setup i might as well upgrade radiators and drop it in all at once. Im trying to avoid this route.

My other option was maybe adding one fan in a push configuration in front/on the condenser. To aid in pulling air through. Ive also seen the mustang guys set up smaller fans on the heat exchanger... i dont think this will work as AIT and coolent temps are in check its only when sitting at a stand still that the a/c will start to get hot. Has anyone attempted this?

-Thanks
Old 04-24-2014, 10:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, air has to go through a heat exchanger, a radiator, then the ac condensor, soooooooo....its kinda tough to send ambient air through all three, remove heat from each, and get the effect needed.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:17 AM

I thought it was... Exchanger, condensor, radiator. Flow going -->

Hence I thought of adding a fan in front of the condenser to emulate the car moving

I maybe wrong
Old 04-24-2014, 11:32 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you confirmed that both your fans turn on when you turn on your AC? Your passenger-side fan might not be coming on for some reason...

And you're right, the AC condenser is in front of the radiator and behind the HX.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:48 AM

Was it blowing cold before you added the exchanger.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:02 PM

both fans coming on.

I never used the standard heatexchanger Ive always used the frozen boost heat exchanger.

Ever since i put the blower on its done this just not as pronounced. Now that its really starting to warm up is when its un-bearable. Its only when its 90+ ambient.

If its night time when its nice and cool out (74-80) it will never do this. I can let it idle in my drive way all night and it wont be a problem. it only does this at a stand still when its very hot outside. I live in south florida. Now that "winter" (if you can call it that) is over a typical day is 95+ degrees outside with with 100-95% humidity.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:34 PM

More powerful fans or as you said the better option is add a couple of blowing fans to the condenser if you have space.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the last time i had symtoms like that it ended up being a tad low on gas, had it toped off and it stayed cool when id be stopped
Old 04-27-2014, 07:54 AM

I wanted to update ya on my experience today. I am a sfl'r also and I cruised the strip in Delray beach today. It's hot as f@#k out. I had the top down and ac on full blast. It stayed cold. Not ice cold but cold even in stop and go bumper to bumper traffic. However engine Temps soared. I saw 220 lol. Still within the operating range of the motor so no sweat but Def the highest I have ever seen. Clicked the ac off and they dropped to 200 in a few mins still in horrible traffic. Hope that helps.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:06 AM

What kind of fans do you have Camuman?

Quick Reply: Trying to keep a/c cool