S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Turbo install questions

Old 02-12-2007, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo install questions

I have a v-band t3/t4 "o" trim ball bearing Turbo. I have read where some people use an oil restrictor on their turbos but some dont. I have function 7 oil lines (didnt come with the turbo) with a built in restrictor. I was wondering if i should drill it out or just use it like it is.

What kind of oil temps are you guys running. I used a water temp gauge(i thought temp would be temp no matter what the liquid) but its constantly reading +260F and thats at idle after just a min or two after a cold start-up. There is plenty of oil in the crank case so I think the gauge is AFU, unless the s has some really high oil temps. Im putting the turbo on later this week so right now the only modifcation to my car is the oil cooler.

Also where did some of you guys run your oil feed line from. First i was going to do it from the pressure sensor. But now im thinking about going from the relocator since its right after the oil cooler hopefully that would mean cooler oil going to the turbo.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:40 AM

Old 02-16-2007, 01:07 PM

If no one knows, could someone let me know of a anyone who would know? A shop another forum, anything.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:15 PM

I'm running the feed from the oil line. It seams to be working ok but my car has only run a few times since the turbo has been on. The bushing failed on the turbo and im waiting for another one.

timq is online and I would trust him with all things turbo. Kane.S2K also knows what he's talking about. But they frequent this section and may have already declined comment here.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:32 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RedAP1S2K,Feb 12 2007, 06:00 PM
I have a v-band t3/t4 "o" trim ball bearing Turbo. I have read where some people use an oil restrictor on their turbos but some dont. I have function 7 oil lines (didnt come with the turbo) with a built in restrictor. I was wondering if i should drill it out or just use it like it is.

What kind of oil temps are you guys running. I used a water temp gauge(i thought temp would be temp no matter what the liquid) but its constantly reading +260F and thats at idle after just a min or two after a cold start-up. There is plenty of oil in the crank case so I think the gauge is AFU, unless the s has some really high oil temps. Im putting the turbo on later this week so right now the only modifcation to my car is the oil cooler.

Also where did some of you guys run your oil feed line from. First i was going to do it from the pressure sensor. But now im thinking about going from the relocator since its right after the oil cooler hopefully that would mean cooler oil going to the turbo.
The restrictor shouldn't hurt anything. For ball bearing turbos, they are highly recommended. For journal bearing turbos, they really aren't necessary. If the lines come with it, you're probably better off leaving it in.

I can't comment on oil temp. If you have an oil cooler, 260 degrees F after only a few minutes does seem a bit high.

My oil feed came from the oil pressure sensor. There is the possibility of damaging the block by tapping the oil feed into the oil pressure sensor location if you run them all on a "street T". However, that's what I have done for years on both of my cars with no trouble. Also, it is very common practice. IIRC, some people who run without restrictors have had issues with having enough oil pressure to engage VTEC when they tap into the pressure sensor. You should be able to tap into the relocator. Some have ports designed just for an oil feed. If yours has the built in threads for a turbo oil supply, I would use them.

I hope that helps. Good luck.

Tim
Old 02-16-2007, 08:16 PM

Thank you so much thats all i needed to know.