S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Water Injection with CTSC

Old 04-27-2009, 09:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Water Injection with CTSC

Ok so I recently installed my ctsc so happy with it! Gonna get an ap2 pulley asap. Anyways I am curious about the water injection since my ctsc doesn't have the aftercooler and I don't have the money nor the want to shovel out the money for what their asking for one. I'm looking to cool my intake temps and have been looking at the aem kit. I have done searches etc and keep seeing about hecash and fperra haved used water injection but can't find any def. answers to my ?'s and would like to get some fresh thoughts on the subject anyways.

1st. Can you inject JUST water or does it have to be water/meth. I understand you can get hp gains with meth but I'm not interested in that since I don't have any management yet and would rather not worry about having to buy it all the time besides water is free!

2nd. Besides hydolock is there any other risks injecting JUST water into the engine?

3rd. I was thinking I could fab up some type of cooler to make the water in the tank colder but would this affect atomization or anything else?
Old 04-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Community Organizer

Received 552 Likes on 504 Posts

After some research of my own I decided to go with the AEM water/meth injection kit. This is 100% bolt in and comes with everything you need for only $400. Several guys on S2ki use this kit.

Yes you can inject just water, it is the majority of what cools the intake temp 100+ degrees, but the water/meth combo is more effective in overall performance, further increasing your octane and preventing detonation tendency, further increasing your ability to maintain your stock timing under boost for max power. If your worried about cost, peak -20 windshield washer fluid is 30% meth and 70% water and its just a couple bucks a gal. Ideally most go for the 50/50 ratio. You can add 3 bottles of HEAT to the peak fluid to get this mix.

No, other then hydro lock I have not heard anything negative, only positive. The AEM comes with 3 injector size tips which you select for the amount you need to spray, spraying to much could be an issue there so go conservative with the small tip first. The AEM kit also has a manual computer which allows you to set what boost pressure you want to have the system introduce the fluid and then another adjustment setting which tell the system to inject the full 100% amount. There is a progressive ramp up in between these two settings. If you want no ramp up and just 100% all at once then set both settings to the same boost level. You or your tuner will have to figure out which injector tip to use and when you want to introduce the spray.

I don't think that is necessary nor do I think it would be any more effective then just dropping in ice cubes into the supplied water/meth bottle.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You wont gain any power with the water/meth combo, you might lose a tiny bit, you have to tune for it, but running just water is a great idea, the best detonation suppression on a F/I setup is race gas, or water injection, just use distilled water, I did a little experiment the other day I put a gallon of my mix in the freezer then poured it in and went for a ride, it felt stronger and the charge pipes were ICE ICE cold, but unless you bring a water cooler around with ice in it, it will turn warm very quickly.

even if the meth is warm, when it atomizes it will turn whatever it touches cold, pour some on your hand and youll see what I mean
Old 04-28-2009, 06:12 AM

Well I'm leaning more towards just water injection like I stated before no management yet and if I were to run out the temp would just go back to normal instead of always having to worry about it being full etc and mixing the water/meth. Then like you said with the water/meth i would need a tune I'd prefer just to cool the temp with water for now and if I were to run out it wouldn't have any effect on the driveability. So after reading both your posts to my understanding now it is possible to run just water which will give cooler charge temps just not as cool as if it was water/meth correct?
Old 04-28-2009, 06:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

exactly the METH cools the charge much less then water alone, the METHANOL burns water does not, it strictly drops CHTs & IAT's which in turn creates less EGTS, so all around cooler combustion cycle, and you get to steam clean valves etc..........
Old 05-09-2009, 10:56 PM

Another quick question to make absolutely sure...I know I haven't posted here for awile but with JUST WATER injection no meth I don't have to tune that do I? Or even a 25/75 or a 10/90 of meth/water mix would that have to be tuned or just run it like that?
Old 05-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Community Organizer

Received 552 Likes on 504 Posts

I have not finished the install on mine yet since I am still in the middle of my motor swap, so I don't have any definitive info as of yet, but with any percentage of water/meth mix I am fully expecting my afr to drop significantly, there for tuning will be involved.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:34 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

So if a meth injection kit is $400 bucks, how much is an aftercooler?
Old 05-11-2009, 05:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am interested too. more info!!!!!
Old 05-11-2009, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandMasterKhan,May 11 2009, 12:34 AM
So if a meth injection kit is $400 bucks, how much is an aftercooler?
I think it's at least $800+ if they still sell it. The FMIC from UR is almost $900 shipped on e-bay. I'm running an AP2 pulley on my CTSC non-aftercooled also and it's starting to get a little more sluggish since it's getting warm out. This an interesting solution.

Quick Reply: Water Injection with CTSC