S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

wideband afr -- AEM or Innovate?

Old 01-24-2008, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoolin,Jan 24 2008, 05:38 PM
Then the Innovate must be 9:1 to 20:1 because it was about 2 points difference. Unless AEM changed theirs, they have never went below 11:1, I just couldn't remember how high it went.
AEM reads down to 10:1
Old 01-24-2008, 02:00 PM

Maybe part of the problem is that you have to calibrate the AEM UEGO with the EMS...if you don't, it will read slightly off.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:24 PM

ive used just about every wideband sensor out on the market.

i did a write up awhile back comparing them all, ill see if i can dig it up...

in short, im not a big fan of aem's widebands. I do not like to trust them, ive found handfuls of times where they were well off where they should be.

Some of the better widebands IMO: FJO, Motec, Autronic, PLX (most affordable too)

the zetronix wideband is ok, works quite well, accurate, yet im not a fan of the display for some cars

Innovate are hit or miss, some work decent, some are touchy and a pain in the ass to calibrate.

AEMs like to burn up sensor, stop working, or read so far off, its not even funny.

however, the aem is better than no wideband...

my favorite is either the fjo or plx. plxs are very affordable and they are always accurate from what ive seen.

Mase
Old 01-26-2008, 06:05 AM

Again, there are going to be instances where people have an AEM UEGO that works fine. That's not the issue.

The issue is that the failure rate is so incredibly large. And unless you have another, better, AFR with which to compare - you'd never know in most cases.

So, if you're a big fan of Russian Roulette - the AEM is the one for you.

If you'd like one that always works, I've been told that the NGK AFX (which is under $300 with display) is an excellent, reliable unit.

It's what I should have gone with, but I got fooled by AEM's market presence.

Again, my standalone UEGO that feeds into my EMS (and thus into my Serial Gauge) is fine.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:48 AM

ive used just about every wideband sensor out on the market.

i did a write up awhile back comparing them all, ill see if i can dig it up...

in short, im not a big fan of aem's widebands. I do not like to trust them, ive found handfuls of times where they were well off where they should be.

Some of the better widebands IMO: FJO, Motec, Autronic, PLX (most affordable too)

the zetronix wideband is ok, works quite well, accurate, yet im not a fan of the display for some cars

Innovate are hit or miss, some work decent, some are touchy and a pain in the ass to calibrate.

AEMs like to burn up sensor, stop working, or read so far off, its not even funny.

however, the aem is better than no wideband...

my favorite is either the fjo or plx. plxs are very affordable and they are always accurate from what ive seen.

Mase
Mase-

Seeing as you are going to be tuning my S as soon as this freakin turbo kit gets delivered (they put me off again until next week ). I have ordered the AEM UEGO AFR gauge as well as their serial gauge. Were you able to confim what Kondor999 said regarding the accuracy of the serial vs. UEGO? I am going to be running both. If you think another WBO2 would be better, I will order another one and sell the AEM one.

I am just wondering if you think the UEGO WBO2 is worth replacing with one of the other units you recommended, seeing as it is redundant with the serial gauge...

Thanks

Also, please PM me your phone #. I lost a BUNCH of PM's a few months back when my membership reset, and our correspondence was one of them.

John
Old 01-26-2008, 08:07 AM

Well, shouldn't a respected tuner like Mase contact AEM and let them know their product is substandard? They should know if their product is inaccurate or if they have an inordinate rate of failures.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by CourageOO7,Jan 26 2008, 09:07 AM
Well, shouldn't a respected tuner like Mase contact AEM and let them know their product is substandard? They should know if their product is inaccurate or if they have an inordinate rate of failures.
The have to be aware of the problems, since the AEMpower forums are chock full of complaints. They delete a lot of those posts, however. The fact that they can't get them all says something.

One thing to remember is that any decent tuner is *not* going to use a shitty AEM gauge-type UEGO to do the actual tune. It's just there to keep you (hopefully) informed.

I have to say that, once I figured out that the A/F R was fine under all conditions, I sorta lost interest in looking at the thing. That might be different with a turbo, however. I'd want an EGT gauge as well on one of those.

OK, enough. I'm rambling
Old 01-29-2008, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by CourageOO7,Jan 26 2008, 12:07 PM
I am sure they are well aware of their issues.

AEM is a great company, however, some of their products are not top notch in terms of reliability and quality. With that being said, it does seem like they are always trying to improve, which is a great thing. it just seems they release products too soon without enough testing.

I keep an open unbiased opinion on products. One of the reasons I dont flirt with all the companies like some people might think. I do however from time to time test products for certain companies, but they know i share my honest opinions and get down to the nitty gritty, so it can be good or bad for those depending upon what kind of product they are offering and how well they perform
Old 01-29-2008, 04:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

so is it true that the PLX wideband o2 replaces the stock narrowband? so i can just screw the sensor in to where my stock one goes on my test pipe?
Old 01-29-2008, 04:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It's no more true of the PLX than others UEGOs with a supplementary 1V output (including the AEM).

Yes it can replace the narrowband O2 sensor. Yes the 1V signal from the controller can be fed to the ECU. And yes, with any of these set ups you need to put a resistor on the narrowband heater circuit to stop the car throwing a CEL.