S2000 Interiors Stock or totally custom, if it's inside the cabin talk about it here.

Seat cushion needs work

Old 08-02-2017, 10:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seat cushion needs work

My drivers seat left side 'bolster' is getting flat, as if the foam inside is giving out. What is recommended to fix this? Can I do it myself? Are there instructions here somewhere that would help me?

Seat is leather, 2006 model.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:40 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed_Rington
My drivers seat left side 'bolster' is getting flat, as if the foam inside is giving out. What is recommended to fix this? Can I do it myself? Are there instructions here somewhere that would help me?

Seat is leather, 2006 model.
I recall seeing a DIY on here somewhere, where someone repaired their bolster. G/L
Old 12-10-2017, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem here

I found a DIY on swapping driver and passenger seat bottoms, that's what I'm going to do until I can decide or reupholstering vs race seats.... try google "driver seat swap s2000" I think that's how I found it.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I repaired the bolster in my driver seat last winter. It's not terribly difficult, just time consuming. I removed the seat from the car, then separated the back from the bottom. Then I removed all of the hog rings holding the leather over the bottom section (search on here for heated seats and you can probably find more details on this step). In my case, not only was there a huge hole worn into the foam, but also the bolster foam was folded over 90 degrees. I used a garment steamer on the foam to bring it back to it's original shape. I couldn't believe how well it worked, it's seriously like magic. Then I used an electric knife (like you'd use to cut turkey) to notch a uniform section out of the foam. I purchased some high density foam at a local classic car upholstery shop and cut it to fit and used glue to attach it in place. Then I used the electric knife to shave it down smooth and finally some gaffer tape over the whole bolster to provide extra strength. Then I reassembled, using zip-ties in place of the hog rings.

Not sure how to get these to show up in the post without being huge, but you can find all the pictures in my user gallery. Hope this helps.

https://www.s2ki.com/g/picture/6842020
https://www.s2ki.com/g/picture/6842036
https://www.s2ki.com/g/picture/6842037
https://www.s2ki.com/g/picture/6842038
https://www.s2ki.com/g/picture/6842039
https://www.s2ki.com/g/picture/6842043
The following users liked this post:
THMotorsports (12-19-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 08:31 AM

Received 1,568 Likes on 932 Posts

I just had two seat cushion bottoms replaced on my wife's 2004 MDX. I found an upholstery shop that several dealers recommended (that is the key: ask around for what they use).

The 2 seats were removed (air bag seats) and cushions with the covering replaced. Went with a vinyl this time instead of leather; the vinyl was identical in color. (The seats that failed had those micro holes in it just like the S does) It looks brand new now like it came that way. No goofy do it yourself look to it.

Cost was about $500. Sacramento.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Swapping the seat bottoms left to right is easiest. The trans hump will now push up the flattened bolster while you have a fresh one on the outside. I've also rebuilt the bolsters by gluing on new foam and shaving it back down into the desired shape.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:24 PM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitroturtle
I repaired the bolster in my driver seat last winter. It's not terribly difficult, just time consuming. I removed the seat from the car, then separated the back from the bottom. Then I removed all of the hog rings holding the leather over the bottom section (search on here for heated seats and you can probably find more details on this step). In my case, not only was there a huge hole worn into the foam, but also the bolster foam was folded over 90 degrees. I used a garment steamer on the foam to bring it back to it's original shape. I couldn't believe how well it worked, it's seriously like magic. Then I used an electric knife (like you'd use to cut turkey) to notch a uniform section out of the foam. I purchased some high density foam at a local classic car upholstery shop and cut it to fit and used glue to attach it in place. Then I used the electric knife to shave it down smooth and finally some gaffer tape over the whole bolster to provide extra strength. Then I reassembled, using zip-ties in place of the hog rings.
I did this several years ago and followed pretty much the same process except that I bought high density from from local regular upholstery shop and cut out a fairly large arc constituting most of the bolster, itself. The bolster was formed to a size slightly larger than the original construction. The bolster was then fully covered with a plastic sheet made from a supermarket plastic bag to allow the bottom cover to slip back on efficiently. Amazing result! Six years later it looks like it did on the day that the work was done.

The photo below is from this summer when the seat belt guide was being replaced. Still looks new!

Old 12-24-2017, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classio's

Classio's seat cover has plastic bolsters for sides. Maybe some foam underneath would do the trick. They have a little foam in them. A little pricey, but damn they look nice and fit like a glove.