S2000 Interiors Stock or totally custom, if it's inside the cabin talk about it here.

Soft top strap problem

Old 06-16-2014, 03:19 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Soft top strap problem

Sup guys, I have a question about the rivets on the soft top that the Modifry straps utilize. I went to replace mine today and noticed the rivets were not hollow. They actually have metal inside of them. Bob from Modifry said maybe they didn't punch em through when top installed (replaced with oem top, Holman Honda 2010). Anyone ever seen or heard of this? I might use a punch to hollow them out because the old straps are useless due to deterioration. Just odd to me...

-Mike
Old 06-17-2014, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just about to post about the same exact thing. Exactly half of the rivets are hollowed and half still have metal inside them. I would also like to know what options I have other than the dealer.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:49 AM

MY front two rivets were replaced with screws when I had my top replaced. started to wear a small hole in my top after about 6 months. I removed the screws and had to replace the rivets with a kit from Lowes. then modifrys strap worked fine. I have no idea how to remove the rear rivets though!? attempting to drill would be risky. good luck
Old 06-18-2014, 04:31 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The piece in the inside is the shank that the rivet gun pulls on to tighten the rivet. The shank breaks when the rivet is tight and the inside piece (the piece you're seeing) usually falls away leaving the inside of the rivet hollow--in this case, it didn't fall out. This is a common occurrence on pop rivets and most folks just leave it that way because it doesn't hurt anything. But when you want to install the Modifry straps, the center needs to be open-----

Just take a small punch (or small nail) and put it in the center of the rivet and gently tap the punch (or nail) and the center shank piece will be pushed inside and you will have the rivet open to accept the Modifry straps
Old 06-18-2014, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by jetboater
The piece in the inside is the shank that the rivet gun pulls on to tighten the rivet. The shank breaks when the rivet is tight and the inside piece (the piece you're seeing) usually falls away leaving the inside of the rivet hollow--in this case, it didn't fall out. This is a common occurrence on pop rivets and most folks just leave it that way because it doesn't hurt anything. But when you want to install the Modifry straps, the center needs to be open-----

Just take a small punch (or small nail) and put it in the center of the rivet and gently tap the punch (or nail) and the center shank piece will be pushed inside and you will have the rivet open to accept the Modifry straps

thanks dude. im borrowing a punch from a buddy tonight and will do this tomorrow morning.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:38 AM

ok so i was able to push the rivet studs out almost all the way. The rears were a PITA since the angle sucks, so those only went down about 50% but still enough to get the MODIFRY straps to be utilzed. so i hope it works perfect even after some use. Not i have a slight tear in on the top on right at the cross bar on the driver side. I added some black silicon adhesive to try and fill the slit. After it dries for a day or so ill test it out. The wind noise through the cut was pretty noticeable. Anywyas, thanks again guys.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:37 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad you were able to get the straps on! As long as the clips on the Modifry straps went down into the hols far enough to make the straps flush, that's perfect and will last as long as the straps do.

As far as adhesive to use to glue the top, lots of folks on here have used this--E6000 adhesive. I tried it and it works great---it's sort of like silicone but it's a glue (most silicone you can buy is designed to be more of a sealant and not a glue)--I took an old knapsack made out of black nylon and cut several small pieces about 2x4inches and glued them to the inside of the top where it wears. Was lucky and was able to reinforce it before it wore thru. This glue worked really well gluing the nylon patches to the inside of our nylon top. The two pieces are now one---won't come apart. If you do a search, you may be able to find the threads where folks have used it-- that's how I found about it. If you need it, almost any fabric store (like a Jo Ann's) has black nylon to make patches from and it's really cheap--a few bucks for yard length of it at least a yard wide--a lifetime supply of top patches!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-19-2014, 06:25 PM

yea, hope the strap u-clips went down enough. Seem to work so far. But as far as my small cut in the top, its right where the fabric is glued or attached to the cross bar so i cant sneak a patch under it if that makes sense. I added some black silicon sealant from Advanced auto and hope that works. If not ill have to step up to the E6000 and/or think of something else. I ordered some Raggtop cleaner and protectant, i just hope when i wash the top it doesnt re-open the cut. Lets see...

Thanks
Old 06-21-2014, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been through this issue and for those who haven't gotten to the fix I recommend giving that bar a helping hand by pushing backward when lowering the top. Besides reducing a chance of damage it allows the top to lower another inch or two which makes putting on the cover a breeze.

Sent by carrier pigeon
Old 06-22-2014, 01:18 PM

I flattened the inside of the rivets just enough to get those clips in. Some werent flush but i was worried about putting a hole in my top. Its been a few days and maybe a dozen times that i put the top down with no problem. Thanks guys.