S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

2005 AP2 S2000 - High Beam Adjustment (not low beam)

Old 07-29-2016, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 AP2 S2000 - High Beam Adjustment (not low beam)

Hello all, this is my first post so forgive me if I'm in the wrong section of the forums. Anyways, I am trying to find out if I'm able to adjust the HIGH BEAMS (not the hid low beams) on my S2k. I have literally read over 20 forums and haven't found much/any info on to adjust the high beams. My low beams are both fine but my passenger side high beam is about 6-8" lower when compared to the driver's side. The passenger side High Beam is even a few inches lower than my low beam... I get super annoyed with little stuff like this, I appreciate all of your help in this matter. Thank you!

*FYI i know about the low beam adjuster which you can adjust the low beams from the hole under the hood, but I can't seem to find/locate any adjustment screw/nut for my HIGH BEAMS... I live in the country where at night theres absolutely no lights on the road, and a lot of danger of deers/other animals crossing the road and i would love to shine my high beams as far as possible. 99% of the time there's no one around for miles so don't worry about me blinding anyone, since everyone turns off their high beams when close to oncoming traffic.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:04 AM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

According to the shop manual there is no separate adjustment for the high beams,.

-- Chuck
Old 07-30-2016, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
According to the shop manual there is no separate adjustment for the high beams,.

-- Chuck
I see, so what if i adjust the headlight (low beam) with a long philips (using the washer/bolt w/teeth), would that also change the height of the high beam?
Old 07-30-2016, 07:50 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Have you checked to make sure the bulb is correctly installed? since it's off by so much it seems like something else is the issue
Old 07-30-2016, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by afzan
Have you checked to make sure the bulb is correctly installed? since it's off by so much it seems like something else is the issue
As far as i can tell, it is. But i did change the bulbs at night time. Theres a rainstorm out today so probably couldn't check until day light tomorrow. The bulb change opening are quite narrow and my somewhat big hands don't help... it is possible that I installed it improperly.

Will update tomorrow thanks
Old 07-30-2016, 10:18 AM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

The adjustment moves the whole housing and all the lights are in it so they all move at once. No provision to move them individually I can see. This is pretty standard practice these days with those big light housings with all the bulbs.

The internal reflectors are set to a cut off pattern depending on which side of the road traffic runs. Someone re-opened an old thread last night regarding modifying RHD (UK, Japan, etc.) to LHD (the rest of the world). Only feasible way to do it is just buy the whole housing although there are a couple of sources that state they can open them up, change some reflectors, and reseal them. That's an option for you as well but it will require a bit of engineering as to where to put the beam.

Watch the visibility if you're thinking about brighter high beams. The Sylvania Silverstars seem to work well. If the wavelength is too white you not only look like a fool but there's even less light projected down the road. The eye sees colors better toward yellow than white. There's sure to be a technical article somewhere. Not sure which Silverstars I have but they work well for my region. Decades ago when I had to travel areas nearly devoid of interstate highways I ran a set of 5" 12v aircraft landing lights for high beams. These drew so many amps I had to wire the low beams to shut off when they came on. They fit right in the stock housings (this is waaaaaaay before HIDs!) so the looks of the car were preserved.

But something like this would work too!

-- Chuck
Old 07-30-2016, 12:12 PM

Chuck, Thank you for the explanation! I bought the yellow Sylvania 55w H1, same as stock but yellow. And yes you're correct about the human eye seeing better with yellows than white. I already have white low beams, so I always use the yellows for Highs/fogs. and loll, that would be perfect to see far down the road. Maybe even over kill. Also i don't want to go down the road of me opening headlights in order to change out reflectors either. I will try and raise the low beams a bit and see if it improves the Highs as well. Thank you very much for those details. I truly appreciate it. If this works out, I will post the results tomorrow as we are having quite the storm today. Cheers
Old 08-06-2016, 06:15 AM

So, I finally had the chance to play around with the adjuster screw/nut. Chuck is right. When you raise or lower the low beams, it also raises/lowers the High Beams as well! But I know for a fact that my passenger side high beam shoots a little bit lower than the driver side. I guess this is something i have to live with. Also, yes i know that the passenger side needs to be a tad higher than the driver side, and even with the passenger side being higher than the driver side the high still sits a bit lower but at least it shoots the light farther than it did before and I'm happy about that. Hopefully if anyone else has these issues they can learn from this thread. Thanks again for everyones help. Cheers!
Old 08-06-2016, 11:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I know you already have it figured out but have you considered one of those real thin light bars that all those lifted truck guys buy off of amazon?
I saw a youtube vid of a guy demonstrating one and it was insanely bright.

Considering you need more light for your id think about mounting one of these at the top of the opening of the bumper. Good luck
Old 08-06-2016, 07:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the bulb does not sit perfectly when you installed them that would cause your problem. I had same issue as you on a different Honda vehicle. Re-seating the high beam bulbs should fix your problem.

Quick Reply: 2005 AP2 S2000 - High Beam Adjustment (not low beam)