S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

2020 review of Ebay buddy club seat rails.

Old 01-06-2020, 03:08 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I mean, comparing them to the original welds these do look A LOT better, I'm referencing this thread https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-mo...t-rail-703146/
This old thread shows extremely neglectful design and manufacture, at least the welds look much better on this newer piece. I have Nagisa seat rails because I thought all buddy club rails looked like this old thread.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:52 AM

Received 139 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Still don't see the problem, maybe it's the quality of the pics I took, but the welds look fine to me in the 3 places they put their blobs. I used washers to level the rails so they all have equal pressure against the chassis.. Either way I'm a buck forty soaking wet, so I doubt they'll be an issue.
For safety's sake, I'd echo the recommendation to have the welds re-done. What @B serious was trying to point out with the FBD is that the placement of the spot welds makes it act like a hinge point. Even if the welds penetrated, they will eventually fail from stress-cycling, i.e. being flexed back and forth. You may weigh a static 140lbs but when in motion, you/car bouncing around puts a lot more force on those welds than just 140lbs (the classic demonstration of this is to stand on a bathroom scale and read the max weight, then try a small jump on the scale and see the max weight spike much higher).

It's a PITA but your life is worth more than the ~$100 or so to re-weld. Just do it.

Edit: this isn't just a bad weld job by the production factory, this is bad engineering on BC's part. They have the ability to specify the welds be put on the sides.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:26 PM

Received 419 Likes on 349 Posts

Honestly there's 3 obvious blobs that penetrated the metal. They apparently re-did the welds on these ~3 years ago. I don't know how long ago B broke his seat, but these don't look bad to me. If they break I'll get them rewelded, if they don't I won't.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:00 AM

Received 433 Likes on 368 Posts

Hope it's just a slowcrash when the welds fails then
Old 01-07-2020, 04:23 AM

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Listen to these guys man. They just don’t want you to get hurt. Sliders experience a variety of forces like front and back, side to side, and twisting as well. You can’t really tell the penetration or porosity of a painted over weld like this, but since this is a known common issue and the fix is quite documented you have the power to do something about it. When it’s your life it’s no joke.

Reinforcing the welds is inexpensive insurance so you are as safe as possible. You made the OP to educate but got educated, don’t let pride get in the way, we all learn something new everyday.

update: I also strongly doubt Buddy Club’s commitment to actually put in work to rectify issues after a product is released. Just look at their tail light problem. I’ve never heard of a set not to leak here locally, and subsequent replacements do the same thing. I have a colleague on his 3rd set...he is just going to sell them now. They seem to have a habit of just replacing or putting out junk hoping the next time the guy doesn’t care or notice.

Last edited by clubhopper; 01-07-2020 at 04:31 AM.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:01 AM

Received 1,276 Likes on 962 Posts

Originally Posted by clubhopper
Listen to these guys man. They just don’t want you to get hurt. Sliders experience a variety of forces like front and back, side to side, and twisting as well. You can’t really tell the penetration or porosity of a painted over weld like this, but since this is a known common issue and the fix is quite documented you have the power to do something about it. When it’s your life it’s no joke.

Reinforcing the welds is inexpensive insurance so you are as safe as possible. You made the OP to educate but got educated, don’t let pride get in the way, we all learn something new everyday.

update: I also strongly doubt Buddy Club’s commitment to actually put in work to rectify issues after a product is released. Just look at their tail light problem. I’ve never heard of a set not to leak here locally, and subsequent replacements do the same thing. I have a colleague on his 3rd set...he is just going to sell them now. They seem to have a habit of just replacing or putting out junk hoping the next time the guy doesn’t care or notice.

Buddy Club sells aftermarket parts . The quality of most any aftermarket part is questionable. They're not meant to function as OEM. They're "for off road use only".

Some improvement may be required to make them perfect...which shouldn't be surprising. Their taillights aren't the only aftermarket ones that leak, for example.

To be fair....Their prices reflect their "some user improvement required" products.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:29 AM

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Buddy Club sells aftermarket parts . The quality of most any aftermarket part is questionable. They're not meant to function as OEM. They're "for off road use only".

Some improvement may be required to make them perfect...which shouldn't be surprising. Their taillights aren't the only aftermarket ones that leak, for example.

To be fair....Their prices reflect their "some user improvement required" products.
agreed.

but their tails can be found for $550 new which is a lot to ask for a user to be sealing themselves LOL

to be fair to good aftermarket parts manufacturers; it isn't unheard of for the aftermarket part to perform better or equal to OEM...in fact many aftermarket part manufacturers make OEM parts...just kindly pointing that out, but I hear what you are saying

still doesn't change the fact OP is rolling the dice.

Last edited by clubhopper; 01-07-2020 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:46 AM

Received 1,276 Likes on 962 Posts

Originally Posted by clubhopper

but their tails can be found for $550 new which is a lot to ask for a user to be sealing themselves LOL

to be fair to good aftermarket parts manufacturers; it isn't unheard of for the aftermarket part to perform better or equal to OEM...in fact many aftermarket part manufacturers make OEM parts...just kindly pointing that out, but I hear what you are saying
I don't want to get too far off track...

But honestly, If someone could make a part that was even *as* good as the one Honda sold thru its dealers, it would be MUCH more expensive than buying the one from Honda.

The aftermarket can't afford to design, test, and manufacture to spec like an OEM....and then sell the part for the same cost as a factory part.

99% of aftermarket parts are vastly inferior in terms of safety and quality.

Just my observation as an insider

And $550 is cheap for a set of LED tail lights of that kind. Factory tails are a combination of LED and incandescent lighting. And they're MUCH more expensive. Know what I mean?

Last edited by B serious; 01-07-2020 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:51 AM

Received 139 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Honestly there's 3 obvious blobs that penetrated the metal. They apparently re-did the welds on these ~3 years ago. I don't know how long ago B broke his seat, but these don't look bad to me. If they break I'll get them rewelded, if they don't I won't.
One last point to consider. you only have three points of contact with the car: your hands, your feet and your butt. Your butt is arguably the most important point since it helps counteract all the other forces needed to control your car. You wouldn't drive the car with a potentially bad throttle or steering linkage. Why do the same with the seat?
Old 01-08-2020, 06:29 AM

Received 618 Likes on 423 Posts

PCI ftw

Quick Reply: 2020 review of Ebay buddy club seat rails.