S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

3D Printed Front Bumper Brake and Intake Cooling Air Ducts

Old 11-27-2019, 03:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry for the lack of updates on the printed parts. I'm still working on these; just haven't had anything interesting to post in a while.

Here's something new for my S2000. I wanted to see if I could make a 3D printed version of this factory prototype intake snorkel:

This is a under-hood pic of a 1998 or 1999 S2000 prototype car. As you can see, the snorkel on the OE airbox was originally extended over the radiator, which is what I set out to replicate.

... and this is the 3D printed proto-snorkel on my blue car! I'm going to be testing this separately, and then in conjunction with the side intake tube mod I posted earlier this year.

I've also been running these new honeycomb pattern intake scoop grills. They're holding up surprisingly well, for just being clip-in designs with no adhesive or silicone used!

The following 2 users liked this post by VSki:
Live Fast (11-29-2019), New2the2K (06-16-2022)
Old 11-27-2019, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
I have a rougher, non 3d printed version of this airbox mod. I didn't originate it, been around a while. Mine is a 3" hole in roughly same place on passenger side of airbox. I added a 3" bulkhead duct to the hole, so I could attach an elbow and a 3" flex hose running to that same fender opening.

The plan was to eventually connecting hose to a scoop in radiator opening area. But connecting to a real vent where the fake one is now would be much better.

But I'd prefer if it were a 3" opening instead of just 2.5".

It does seem to make a difference with heat soak and throttle response. It also adds some nice induction noise. Kinda like a toned down version of lidless. Same sound, less volume. Like maybe 40% of the lidless volume (lidless gets old after a week or so of daily use
Just too loud.)

My other eventual plan was to add a flapper valve to the existing stock rectangular airbox opening. That way if engine needed the extra duct, it could pull air from there. But if more air was coming in from cold duct on side of airbox than engine could use, when it tried to blow the excess backwards through the stock rectangular opening, it would just force the flapper valve closed. A simple plastic plate hinged at the top, on the inside of airbox.

That would seem like another ideal part to 3d print. The right rectangular shape and curve to perfectly close against inside of airbox duct. With holes premade to match an appropriate size home depot hinge. No need to spring load it. Let gravity hold it shut.
Thanks for the input on this! I'm glad to hear you had a similar experience with the airbox side intake mod. I agree about the nice change in induction noise.

I like your flapper idea for the stock opening. I'm going to try to incorporate it into the next prototype snorkel design. I'm also going to see if I can comfortably increase the side intake hose diameter to 3".
Old 11-27-2019, 03:43 PM
Community Organizer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very cool stuff you got going on here, what material are you 3d printing with?
Old 11-27-2019, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by pawpaw504
very cool stuff you got going on here, what material are you 3d printing with?
We're mostly printing in PETG plastics. That's what most of the parts I posted here are. It has similar strength to ABS, but doesn't warp or produce fumes while printing. I've also experimented with printing in polycarbonate, kevlar, and various carbon fiber infused filaments for parts I'm planning on using longer term.
The following users liked this post:
treimche (11-28-2019)
Old 11-29-2019, 04:18 PM

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by VSki
Sorry for the lack of updates on the printed parts. -snip-
​​​​​
That snorkle looks really good! I'm interested to see how well it does work but I do like it. All I have really done is 3D-Printed a spacer for the Seatbelt holders to get them a bit higher from the seat to avoid squeaking as much and they do well but I don't like how they look currently.
Old 11-29-2019, 06:32 PM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

I modified a CT cold air intake to pull right fender air into my SOS supercharger intake. It works just fine but I think that a fully custom cold air intake for the SOS supercharger system might be a product to consider. There ought to be a few thousand of the SOS superchargers already installed.

512S2k (01-11-2020)
Old 11-29-2019, 06:35 PM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

BTW, you may want to take a look at fitting rear brake cooling 3D printed parts as well.

Live Fast (12-10-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 07:08 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Love it. Keep up the good work and sharing.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These look great! Any updates? Any closer to producing some kits for sale?
Old 01-10-2020, 10:53 PM

Received 126 Likes on 109 Posts

YAGI makes rear ducks too: https://yagicarbon.com/collections/h...ts-honda-s2000
I have a few YAGI products, all are very strong and a great value.

Quick Reply: 3D Printed Front Bumper Brake and Intake Cooling Air Ducts