S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Acceleration improvements with 4.77 gears.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weird. I guess all the videos of cars with gears walking away from cars without is just coincidence.
The torque available at the drive wheels is the engine torque multiplied by the transmission ratio multiplied by the final drive ratio. Let's just use some hypothetical numbers to make the math easy. Let's say for an example that the engine has 200 lb-ft of torque all across the usable speed range (a gross oversimplification); let's have a final drive ratio of 3:1, a rolling radius of 1.25' (15" radius, 30" diameter tire); and let's say that the transmission ratios are 3:1 (1st), 2:1 (2nd), 1.5:1 (3rd), 1:1 (4th), and .75:1 (5th). So, the torque available at drive wheels in first gear is 200 (engine torque) x 3 (first gear ratio) x 3 (final drive ratio) = 1800 lb-ft. (The force at the point where the drive wheels contact the road is a total of 1800 lb-ft / 1.25 ft (rolling radius) = 1440 lb.) If we change the final drive ratio to 4:1, the first gear torque will be 200 x 3 (first gear ratio) x 4 (final drive ratio) = 2400 lb-ft. This is a 33% increase in drive wheel torque, and it will result in dramatically improved acceleration. (It will also increase engine speed on the highway, resulting in lower fuel mileage, increased noise & engine wear, and a lowered top speed of the vehicle.) The final drive ratio has no effect on the horsepower of the vehicle, but it does affect the torque available to the drive wheels.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:25 AM

4.77S FTW! http://youtube.com/watch?v=OI_kBC9konU
i know you guys have probably seen that before , I have posted it up many times. But you will notice a huge improvent in the way the car drives with 4.77s. I drive 10 miles on the highway everyday, Even passing a car at 60 I do not have to downshift anymore. Car is 10x more fun to drive and yes it is faster, up to 100. It keeps up with a modded 350z HR in this video (2nd race) http://youtube.com/watch?v=mDdQhrx1Mfw yes I got the jump but it was also while my valve is bent/burned

The car has no dead spots anymore. I can take off in 2nd gear with ease. I let my buddy (lpfan on here) ride in mine, his is stock. His first words were "Holy shit, I know my next mod!" You will NOT be dissappointed! Enjoy your gears and your new S feels like you get a new one

edit: 0-60 times will be around the same but....

your 0-10, 0-20, etc. will be alot faster. You will pull off the line 10x faster and be about 3-4 cars ahead of a stock one, you will stop pulling, but you are already ahead. Think of it just like an evo. An Evos 0-60 time lets say is 4.0 (to keep it easy) and say its racing a C5z06 whos 0-60 is also 4.0 seconds. Which one will be ahead? the AWD because of the 0-10 , 0-20 etc is faster. But the difference in that race is the Corvette will pull down the 1/4 mile due to it having more HP. But s2k vs s2k. Yes it is faster in the 1/4 mile. I ran stock gearing a 14.4@98. Even with low compression in #4 with the gears I ran a 13.9@99. Because the 4.77s helped with my 60ft.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Jul 2 2008, 03:21 AM
I'm sorry, but you don't seem to have a clue. Of course you will go through the gears faster -- you have shortened them up.

That's what most people on this board seem to fail to understand.

The reason the shorter gear ratios have an advantage in drag racing is all about the launch. You get into the powerband quicker. Once in there, you stay there (no matter what gearing you have). So you get an advantage right off the line and retain it until you top out.

But in any situation where you start out already in the power band, it's basically a wash.

That's why these short gears are all the rage for the street racers and drag racers, but they are worth little or nothing (or, in fact, are a detriment) on a road course.
My mistake in what I said. I will record it and check the time to which speed it gets to, not the gear. Tired posting got the better of me. Meant from 5 mph to end of first and see what speed I get and then check the before tapes to see how long it took to that same speed from 5 mph.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Jul 1 2008, 11:21 PM

That's why these short gears are all the rage for the street racers and drag racers, but they are worth little or nothing (or, in fact, are a detriment) on a road course.
I disagree, 4.77s are perfect for a road course. Why does J's Racing use 4.77s then over the stock 4.10s? Because when you shift your in more of your powerband then comming out of a turn at 6k , opposed to 7 or 8k with the gears
Old 07-02-2008, 05:58 AM
Former Sponsor

^^ Agreed. Many people use 4.77 if they are tracking there car. 1/4 mile is where I have read it might not gain you any performance since you have to make one more shift. Besides that extra shift though you are accelerating quicker.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:00 AM
Former Sponsor

CRX. With the gears installed, can you just punch it at say 5-10 mph in first and really take off? Does it give you more of the pushed back in your seat feel?
Very excited about getting them. Seem like it is the perfect mod for me.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:10 AM

yes... even if you do a roll race out of the powerband, like 4-5k, it will throw you back like if you started in vtec

edit: just make sure you get the speedo fix when you get them installed, still havent got mine due to problems with the car. i have put about 1k "fake" miles on it..
Old 07-02-2008, 06:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Awesome sounds like what I am hoping for. Yeah I have a speedo calibrator coming as well with the diff.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:25 AM

you will love them. Most people who talk bad about 4.77s have never had them on there car, or driven a car with them.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by CRX2nr18,Jul 2 2008, 10:25 AM
you will love them. Most people who talk bad about 4.77s have never had them on there car, or driven a car with them.
Yeah that is what I see all the time. People who don't have them always will complain about the mileage or how they are obnoxious at high rpm's or don't do anything significant performance wise. Most posts I have seen by people who have them are nothing but praise for how awesome they are.

Quick Reply: Acceleration improvements with 4.77 gears.