S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

AEM EMS vs Gready e-manage

Old 01-01-2008, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM EMS vs Gready e-manage

What are peoples thoughts on the two.

in terms of

1 user friendlyness

2 software flexibility

3 data logging

4 effectiveness
Old 01-02-2008, 08:09 AM

Bump for info
Old 01-02-2008, 09:02 AM

I'm not going to say anything too technical, I don't have the experience in tuning with either to do so but I think most people are going to tell you that AEM EMS is a much better tuning solution than E-manage. A lot more features and tuning ability with the EMS from what I hear. Bump for more solid info!
Old 01-02-2008, 09:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grocerystore_ninja,Jan 2 2008, 02:25 AM
What are peoples thoughts on the two.

in terms of

1 user friendlyness

2 software flexibility

3 data logging

4 effectiveness
It's hard to answer your question w/o knowing your tuning background. The AEM EMS is a very powerful, extensively developed EMS. The resolution of the injector duty cycles and timing advance isn't as fine as a MOTEC, but should be more than you'll find with the EMU.

1. The AEM is user friendly if and only if you know what you're doing in there. If you don't know the terminology and lack the intimate knowledge of what's really going on inside that engine, the AEM can be a little intimidating. The learning curve is not steep, unless you don't know what you're doing, then you have no business being in there. I learned it from watching my tuners over and over again, reading the manuals, and researching as absolutely much as I could before I even plugged it in myself.
2. The software that comes with the AEM EMS is very powerful, offering you literally dozens of different tables and drop down menus and tuning parameters. You have absolutely complete control over every parameter of the engine management.
3. Data logging with the AEM is great, providing you with any possible parameters you might want to look at after data logging.
4. The AEM EMS was the first performance modification I did, and with good reason. My car baselined at 186/122 when it was stock. After the install and tune of JUST the AEM EMS, I dyno'd 208/138. I'm running ITB's now, and I could not run them if I didn't have the AEM EMS to begin with. With enough time behind the laptop I've gotten my car to run absolutely great, start up as good if not better than stock, and idle silky smooth. It can be anywhere between 20 degrees and 110 degrees and I can go out and hop in my car, fire it up on the first crank, and drive off w/o any reliability issues to speak of (unless I fill up with a tank of watered down gas, but that's a different story).

I have no experience with the EMU. I believe the AEM EMS is an exceptional engine management system.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:06 PM

I've heard only good things about the AEM EMS, but we have yearly smog checks here in Nevada and i needed something that will retain my OBDII port, so i went with the Emanage. I have no problems with it so far(been about 4 months now). whichever one you get, just make sure you find a "good" tuner.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:39 PM

Finding a good tuner is the biggest part with either of them. I would say it depends what mods are in your future. If you plan to run FI or ITB's than stand alones should be your choice. If you are going to stay NA with boltons E-manage will work just fine.

I am getting e-manage as I dont have plans to go to far with my motor mods. I will get tuning on 1/12/08 and will post my thoughts here after its complete if you would like
Old 01-03-2008, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Enthralled,Jan 2 2008, 01:06 PM
I've heard only good things about the AEM EMS, but we have yearly smog checks here in Nevada and i needed something that will retain my OBDII port, so i went with the Emanage. I have no problems with it so far(been about 4 months now). whichever one you get, just make sure you find a "good" tuner.
i currently have the aem ems but have been looking at a piggyback system for the specific reason of smog testing. based on what you said a piggyback would still give me obd2 and would be good news for me. i just had my car tested this past october so i have some time to see what or if i will switch. thanks.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:25 AM

you cannot compare the two. They are different animals with different purposes. One is a stand alone and the other a piggyback.

The emanage would be better compared to things like the Apexi Neo and other piggy backs. As far as piggybacks, I believe the emanage is superior. But it does not have the features that you would find in stand alones.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:35 AM

AEM is the better complete tuning choice. The piggy back systems are easier to learn, good for lightly modified cars with bolt ons, it will alow you to extract that extra power, aswell that it can be easily unpluged if there is a problem with, start-up, bogging or anything of that sort.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's no comparison.

AEM EMS all the way. Only thing better would be the Motec. Nemesis and F-con would be slightly below AEM EMS.

AEM is the way to go. The E-manage isn't even in the same league as AEM.

it's worth the money, if you live where Emission testing isn't required.

Quick Reply: AEM EMS vs Gready e-manage