S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Axialflow Shortshifter review and problems - Will shift knob fix the issue?

Old 10-09-2012, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axialflow Shortshifter review and problems - Will shift knob fix the issue?

I recently purchased an Axialflow short shifter because of all of the positive reviews that I read on S2Ki. I purchased it about 2 weeks ago the install was very easy. I would recommend buying Honda Urea grease and greasing up the shifter before install. The only issue I noticed right away was the fact that the shifter did not pop up in its own to disengage your ability to shift into reverse. The shifter had to be manually (and forcefully) pull the shifter up, it was annoying but nothing horrible. After a couple of day of driving I have definitely noticed the shifter poping up on it's own, and after 2 weeks the shifter would always return to the normal position except for when the car has been driven for a long period of time. My guess is that this is a breaking period for the shifter. The grease probably need to work into all of the nooks and crannies of the shifter and the plastic piece around the shifter ball needs to be woren in a little. I anticipate the shifter to be fine about a little more use. As for the actual performance of the shift, I have definitely noticed a differences. The shifting feels more "sure" in other words, I can make the gearbox go into the gear I want with less effort. I think with the throws being shorter you are able to feel the gearbox our a lot better which makes misshifting a lot more difficult. In daily driving I have noticed a couple of changes there is a delightful click when shifting into a new gear, I think this is the shaft of the shifter hitting the metal retaining ring, it is the kind of feedback that makes you feel that the car is telling you "yes you picked the right gear" even if that isn't the case. The downshifting feels a lot more effortless when going from a mid third to a high second I often felt that I needed to force the shifter into second, not with the Axialflow, it feels as effortless as if I was upshifting. The next and final piece is a more effortless seamless shifting between gears. It is now much easier to go from one gear to the next without having the traditional jolt that comes with engaging the next gear, I think this has to do with the fact that the shifting becomes faster which doesn't give your RPMs a chance to drop so the engine doesn't need to catch up in RPMs when the next gear is engaged. This effect becomes harder to perform the harder you drive your car, but less so than if you had a stock shifter on.

Now we get to the problem with the shifter - the vibration. Although the vibration on it's own doesn't really effect the fun factor of the shifter, it's effect on the shift knob and consequential noise does. I am currently running an OEM CR knob -

The knob turns into a speaker and transmit irritating noise throughout the cabin at anything above 4k, When you hit vtec the shift knob turns into a school bell. It is literally louder than my radio. When placing my hand on the shifter I can change the tone of the vibration to sound more like a hum but I cannot eliminate it. I know what you are thinking the s2000 isn't a quiet car, but that doesn't mean that I would want it to be any louder, right? When a bell is going off in your ear on a 3 hour road trip, it starts to change your mind about how important noise is in your car. After my first 3 hour road trip with the shifter I decided to call Axialflow and see if I could get any recommendations on how to get rid of the noise. They suggested Teflon tape around the thread of the shifter or to go to a different stock shifter. I tried that as well as putting the factory locking nut back on, which raises your knob higher a little -

The results were disappointing. I did not notice any significant change in noise. I still have not given up on the shifter I think that either getting a plastic shifter or a heavier shifter will get rid of the vibrations or even the stock leather wrapped shifter will do the trick. I figure that Plastic will probably transfer less sound. But something heavier may also do the trick.

Here are the shifter knobs I have found:

Moddiction Anvil - Steel - Weight: over listed as "over 1 lb" - $70

TWM - Piston - Not sure of material - Weight: 520 grams - $135-$184

TWM - Phantom - Plastic/Steel - 320 Grams - $155

TWM - A6 Leopard - Not sure of Material - Weight : 485 - $120-$175

Team Voodoo Magnum - aluminum- 175 Grams - $45

OE - Leather Wrapped - $120

If anyone has had experience with this problem and was able to solve it, I would love to hear from you.

I am open to any ideas.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:58 AM

I dont have any noise from mine with an anvil and extension from moddiction and I have 75A engine, trans, and diff mounts
Old 10-09-2012, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Abide
I dont have any noise from mine with an anvil and extension from moddiction and I have 75A engine, trans, and diff mounts

Do you have any pics? How big is the extension? How is the knob secured down to the shifter?
Old 10-09-2012, 11:35 AM

did you buy your shifter used?I had all the same problems with my old one, after they fixed the shifter all those issue have been resolved NO more buzz or locking in the reverse position for me at least. locking lower is the cup expanding and not coming back though the hole if that makes since at the lowest point the nipple on the bottom of shifter.

Aftermarket shift knobs
The stock CR knob only made noise in my car when in vtec before the updated shifter
I have the modiction ball original knob also love the way it feels but it made more noise then the CR knob by far in my car 04 AP2
Old 10-09-2012, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by corrado_driver
did you buy your shifter used?I had all the same problems with my old one, after they fixed the shifter all those issue have been resolved NO more buzz or locking in the reverse position for me at least. locking lower is the cup expanding and not coming back though the hole if that makes since at the lowest point the nipple on the bottom of shifter.

Aftermarket shift knobs
The stock CR knob only made noise in my car when in vtec before the updated shifter
I have the modiction ball original knob also love the way it feels but it made more noise then the CR knob by far in my car 04 AP2

First of, yes that makes sense. I was wondering what caused it to get stuck.

Really?! I bought my shifter directly from Axialflow last month. Maybe they sent me an old version. Do you know how you can tell if it is the updated one or not?
Old 10-09-2012, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
Originally Posted by Abide' timestamp='1349798328' post='22069704

Do you have any pics? How big is the extension? How is the knob secured down to the shifter?
its the one available on his site. no pics but you can see it in this video

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmjP0irufJU[/media]
Old 10-09-2012, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Abide
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson' timestamp='1349800165' post='22069789
[quote name='Abide' timestamp='1349798328' post='22069704']

its the one available on his site. no pics but you can see it in this video

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmjP0irufJU[/media]
[/quote]

Wicked!
Old 10-09-2012, 03:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I fixed the buzz on the old AxialFlow shifter using a TWM shift knob with a rubber insert. See my post below.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/751...t__p__21051005

I really should return it to them for a retrofit so I can use a different knob, can't seem to part with it for the fix though.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by mister x
I fixed the buzz on the old AxialFlow shifter using a TWM shift knob with a rubber insert. See my post below.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/751...t__p__21051005

I really should return it to them for a retrofit so I can use a different knob, can't seem to part with it for the fix though.

Sweet! this is really good stuff. So according to your other post the Moddiction ones already come with a rubber insert, do you know if those need to be modified at all i.e. adding tennis racket grip tape to them or are they good out of the box? If so then I will order mine today and report back.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
Originally Posted by corrado_driver' timestamp='1349811326' post='22070370

Aftermarket shift knobs

First of, yes that makes sense. I was wondering what caused it to get stuck.

Really?! I bought my shifter directly from Axialflow last month. Maybe they sent me an old version. Do you know how you can tell if it is the updated one or not?

The updated version doesn't come with a rubber boot you reuse the stock one

Quick Reply: Axialflow Shortshifter review and problems - Will shift knob fix the issue?