S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Ballade sports tct vs billman

Old 09-28-2016, 04:45 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

" Do you know how many revisions any product goes through before it is ever sold" It had been selling for quite some time when all the revisions were done. I know Billman takes care of all his customers 100% but i'd rather swap a new one and toss the old one. We know what the OE tct needed, larger oil paths and stronger springs, while some agreed sandblasting will fix this issue permanently. What else are you going to keep "upgrading"? Is the newest one bluetooth enabled? Does it have a camera that takes pics of your timing chain? when a product is released with a newer or updated version it usually has some kind of a add on or simply updated aesthetically, especially when it serves for one purpose only.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also to go with this issue, you need to make sure and address the other problems with this noise, and that is with higher mileage 100k+ the timing chain starts to stretch and will actually start to retard timing a few degrees, not allowing the timing marks to line up perfectly at TDC. Ballade sports engineered a timing correction gear that offsets a few degrees to accomplish tightening up the slack and also correcting the timing. I would highly recommend doing this at the same time as the new TCT.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:33 AM

Received 1,157 Likes on 1,012 Posts

I'm sure both are good products,
Really? How are you sure?

Regardless I went with the Billman Gen-X two summers ago as preventive maintenance. The "bling" factor of the other TCT seemed too cosmetic for me -- like color anodized radiator mounts, etc. Show not Go.

-- Chuck
Old 09-29-2016, 07:44 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I have a Billman unit with roughly 40K miles on it. Continuous improvement and lifetime warranty was enough to convince me. On the plus side for me personally, it looks OEM.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:35 AM

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by EricLovato
Also to go with this issue, you need to make sure and address the other problems with this noise, and that is with higher mileage 100k+ the timing chain starts to stretch and will actually start to retard timing a few degrees, not allowing the timing marks to line up perfectly at TDC. Ballade sports engineered a timing correction gear that offsets a few degrees to accomplish tightening up the slack and also correcting the timing. I would highly recommend doing this at the same time as the new TCT.
Their gear has always sounded like snake oil to me
Old 09-29-2016, 09:02 AM

Received 1,464 Likes on 983 Posts

Originally Posted by EricLovato
I thought the timing chain on the S2000 was not as susceptible to stretch. At least, to the point where valve timing becomes an issue. If these were the case, a new timing chain is the best cure. IMHO.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:34 AM

Received 1,353 Likes on 1,019 Posts

Originally Posted by jr94513
We know what the OE tct needed, larger oil paths and stronger springs, while some agreed sandblasting will fix this issue permanently. What else are you going to keep "upgrading"? Is the newest one bluetooth enabled? Does it have a camera that takes pics of your timing chain? when a product is released with a newer or updated version it usually has some kind of a add on or simply updated aesthetically, especially when it serves for one purpose only.
I work in product development. We virtually never release something that isn't more reliable in some way. Sure, often there are new features, and perhaps that is what the vendor focuses their messaging on, and maybe its all most consumers realize is there. But trust me, there are underlying reliability improvements when something new is released, when you get an update on your phone, for example.

Maybe it seems simple. Its basically an oil pressure augmented spring. But Honda has designed a lot of these, and they still got this one wrong. So the idea that it shouldn't take more than one pass at improving it doesn't make sense.

Billmans first pass worked great. Ironically, while he kept finding ways to make it even better, some people would have more confidence in it if he never revised it.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:42 AM

Received 1,464 Likes on 983 Posts

In the X number of years, Billman's TCT has been available --- has anyone ever posted a complaint about its performance or reliability.?

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2016, 01:07 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I like Balladesports, however I would recommend (and use) Billman's first if I had the choice. I chose Billmans for my TCT.

Peace of mind is always nice.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ballade has a lifetime warranty also..

Quick Reply: Ballade sports tct vs billman