S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Battery - Pure OEM substitution.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by speedjunky01
autozone, lifetime warranty I swap mine every other year in all my cars haha
Lifetime warranty? Since when did Autozone offer lifetime? It's been a few years since I bought batteries from them. I've always hated their batteries because they die right after the full warranty expires. Prorate means crap to me if they're going to raise up the price within a few years. After they prorated my battery, the price ended up the same as what I bought it for initially. For the past who knows when, Costco offered their batteries for $65 and it's still the same in my area.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Huh good call i noticed it's 3 years my bad

I guess they just like me and took it no questions asked
Old 11-03-2011, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had a duralast gold battery die after 1 year.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:46 PM

I go for the pricey Optima batteries but i've never had an issue with those before.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just bought the Duralast last week. Warranty is 3 years free replacement and another 5 years after that it will be pro-rated. 500+ CCA vs 350? for stock.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Boricua
Die hard work the BEST for me
I am 100% for Diehards... but Sears discontinued the Diehard Gold in the 51/51R group sizes, leaving the standard/silver Diehard as the only option with a 18free/72total warranty. I'd go with Autozone's Duralast Gold to get the decent warranty & good quality/cost.
Unless you are sold on the Diehard Platinum's AGM legacy... in which case you can buy a smaller sized battery from Odyssey (the mfg of the Platinums)

Originally Posted by GSteg
Interstate is one of the larger manufacturers of batteries. Chances are whatever you buy will be from Johnson or Interstate.

I personally buy the Kirkland from Costco. Warranty is outstanding, price is much cheaper, and cranks my car just like any other battery.
Interstate is not a manufacturer of batteries... Interstate batteries are actually manufactured by JCI (Johnson Controls Inc.).
Most batteries DO come from JCI/Johnson though. East Penn is another large manufacturer. Some companies use both mfg's depending on location - for example, Diehards are made by JCI on the West coast, and EP on the East coast due to mfg to store shipping costs.
Although, most people don't realize that just because 5 different name brand batteries are made by the same MFG, this doesn't mean they are of the same quality. Each company/brand has their batteries built to specifications/cost/quantity. Larger warranties also don't always mean higher quality. Some places require you to physically have the original receipt for the warranty exchange/credit - they can nearly double the expected lifespan of their batteries with their warranty because they are expecting that most people will not have their original receipt or not be the original owner, etc.

Originally Posted by conzetts2k
I go for the pricey Optima batteries but i've never had an issue with those before.
My only beef with Optima's is that their warranties suck! They are fantastic batteries and I've bought several but sometimes it seems as though their lifespan is hit/miss and with their warranties that don't reach that far out, lately I've steered clear of them.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PUT your reciept in a plastic baggie and place under your new battery and you will always have it if needed. I asked the clerk this question when I purchased mine. He stated that if address and phone number didn't change, there should be no problem but to keep the reciept handy anyway to simplify things.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:48 AM

Just got an OEM replacement from the dealership. 98 bucks with a three year warranty. Not a Panasonic like my original, but just seemed like the easiest solution. It is 500 amps where the Panasonic was rated at 410 IIRC. This is my first new battery in a 7 year old car, so I'm happy with that. Starting is unsettlingly faster, haha. Seems to have stopped the stumble I occasionally had at idle as well.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:53 AM

Went with the autozone gold, it was $100 and the car never started up better than today. Thanks guys!
Old 11-23-2011, 10:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Consider sales and warranty support when choosing a battery. In my town, Sears and the mass market dealers are uneven in working with warranty issues don't know much beyond looking up a fitment in the computer, no consideration about ICE mods or driving habits. There's a great Odyssey dealer though and I've had great success with the PC680 over the past seven years. Very knowledgeable sales staff and my Odyssey has had no defect or performance issues.

Quick Reply: Battery - Pure OEM substitution.