S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

berk high flow cat ftw!

Old 08-22-2010, 09:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default berk high flow cat ftw!

just installed a new 63.5mm berk high flow cat. and i couldn't be more happy with the product. so far, so good with the no test pipe smell, no check engine light and i was able to bolt on my factory cat heatshields. i just put both pieces on each side and bolted them together. when bolting then together, the bend the heatshiled slightly, making it super tight around the hfc. no rattles so far. i wanted to put flanges and weld them on the hfc like another member her did to bolt the cat heatshields onto. but seemed like a lot of work, also if don't have all the tools to fabricate something like that.
so far, so good, no rattles with the heatshield just bolted together around the cat. the only other thing i did is put that cremaic paper insulation that comes with the oem cat in between the cat and heatshield. and shoved it all inside and around the high flow cat before bolting he heatshiled, so that they actually keep it from touching metal to metal. the hfc looks oem now. sleeper.

as far as performance. i couldn't be happier with this product. i thought my exhaust sounded mean before but now is just sounds animal. way more response, less drone at 3-4krpms and freeway driving. found myself constantly taking the rpms up much higher now. berk high flow cat ftw!!!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2010, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds good.
any pics?
Old 08-22-2010, 10:39 AM

^looks like the stock cat with the heat shields on but with stainless steel piping. didn't take any before or after pics. was too excited to install it that i forgot to take some pics. but it is just a hfc. i have the hfc with an oem k&n filter, stock header, and tanabe concept g exhaust. the exhaust now sounds more like a racing exhaust but only @ 4k and up.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sweet dude! ive been looking at these, glad to hear no CEL with the 08
Old 08-22-2010, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by rossco,Aug 22 2010, 10:39 AM
^looks like the stock cat with the heat shields on but with stainless steel piping. didn't take any before or after pics. was too excited to install it that i forgot to take some pics. but it is just a hfc. i have the hfc with an oem k&n filter, stock header, and tanabe concept g exhaust. the exhaust now sounds more like a racing exhaust but only @ 4k and up.
ya i thought it was a bit silly after i said it.
keep us informed if you get a cel light later
Old 08-22-2010, 05:32 PM

the test pipe smell is still there if your pushing the car, if you drive normally, no smell. let us know how the oem heatshield holds up with no rattles. i might think about doing that as well.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:46 PM

When i had a berk HFC, it definitely cut down on the cabin noise.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Installed mine like a month and a half ago, I find myself also jacking up the rpms often. BTw still no check engine light, and the exhaust smell is very minimal.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:45 PM

ive run my berk for over a year..i would say a HFC is a MUST modification expecially if you have an aftermarket exhaust. Berk makes an excellent product
Old 09-04-2010, 07:54 AM

So far, so good. been over 2 weeks, still no check engine light or smell. heatshields holding up good, no rattles so far. it definately made the exhaust louder but less drone on freeway and decel at 3-4k rpms. makes me love my exhaust even more now. can't wait to get a good aftermarket header to go with the hfc and exhaust.

Quick Reply: berk high flow cat ftw!