S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

The BETTER Official Hardtop Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the interior harness is different for 00-05 and 06-09 (for the defroster). Interior panels are also different.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by red@10k
Originally Posted by Rubn1out4GudLuk' timestamp='1323016940' post='21209240
Forbidden USA Mugen Replica. This is not a hand laid HT, It was liquid injected into a Mugen HT mold. Fitment really is 9/10 and weighs 29 lbs w/ the seals, lexan window, Front latches and painted(17-18 lbs as a naked mold).

Looks amazing

17lbs is crazy. WHere can I buy this?
Forbidden USA HT
Old 01-06-2013, 02:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mugen_is_best
Is there any info on the extreme dimensions/carbon creations carbon fiber ht?

Here's a pic of mine, had to trim it to fit my rollbar better.
IMO, this hardtop is a horrendous pile of manure. It came on the car when i got it, I'm holding on to it because I'd have to slot any top I get, so it might as well be the crappy free one I already have.
All of whatever studs are buried in fiberglass are at cockeyed angles, and covered in resin, so you'll need to tap every stud very carefully. The stud are also not very precisely placed so you'll need to hog out the holes in your hardtop brackets. I wouldn't want to go through attaching the factory rear Q/R brackets on this top.
Additionally, the sides of the top are too close together, like the entire top has slightly curled up like a potato chip. When fitting it I really had to pry and pull the sides apart as I tightened it. Mine fits the front windshield well, but not the rear deck, although it fit better the more I forced the sides apart.
Ok, so then the door glass doesn't fit the upper opening well, I still have to get a final fit on the hardtop, and then I'm going to see where the door glass touches (I have already adjusted the glass in the door to its lowest point), and then get the grinder out.
For this top to look good painted, it's going to need a lot of blocking and prep work. So, in a nutshell, here is a great example of "you get what you paid for". I would not recommend this top to anyone, and should hope that all the other replicas are of much better quality.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:11 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Just wanted to add to this thread. The 06 AP2 glass window soft top assembly with motors and brackets absolute does not weight 97lbs. Removed mine today and weighed it on a very accurate large shipping scale and total weight with everything you see here is 61.8lbs. I weighted myself at 206.5lbs and then weighed myself holding everything I removed (including a few small additional brackets and panels) at 273.9lbs.

The additional brackets and panels were the metal brackets that go along the edge of the rear of the tub and the plastic side brushes/rain gutter as well as the soft top hold down brackets that are on the rear of the hard top (5.6lbs) for a total weight savings of 67.4lbs compared to having both the hardtop and soft top installed. I think this would be a pretty standard method of removing the top and maintaining the interior panels. It maybe be possible to remove additional small brackets but there is no way you would get anywhere near 97lbs without also removing the roll hoops (which actually aren't that heavy) or something else.

I will be getting the weight of the complete hardtop with all interior and OEM mounting when I go in for a corner weight of the car and will update this thread again.
The following users liked this post:
Spoon Fed (11-24-2017)