S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Bolt-on Feeler...

Old 10-18-2008, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bolt-on Feeler...

So basically, my last car was fully bolted, internal work, and nitrous. From my experience I find that mods become a very expensive headache. I now drive a 08 s2k and looking to do a few mods but trying to avoid a headache of over modding a car.

Originally, I was thinking of going intake, header, HFC, exhaust, ecu reflash and call it a day.... Then in the distant future when car doesn't feel as fast or as fun anymore and I slap a supercharger on it.

Basically, here is what I gathered from researching each part....

Header -
PRO- Can get the hondata reflash for header for more v-tec goodness. Makes engine sound meaner.
CON- around $1k = Expensive. No gains (some even lose). A lot are cheaply made and fall apart. They hang lower then stock exhaust mani, so it sometimes scrapes.

HFC-
PRO - cheap. makes exhaust throatier. Better flow without CEL or dp smell. Performance gains.
CON - possible smog issue.

Exhaust -
PRO - slight performance gains. Useful for when/if I eventually get S/C.
CONS - Raspy with silencer, too much drone without silencer. Expensive. Muffler will scrapes. Attracts cops. I prefer the clean 08 stock exhaust look over any aftermarket.

Intake-
PRO - makes engine throatier. some performance gains.
CONS- Not much bang for you buck (would never pay $1k for 5hp). Possibly increase heat soak?

Reflash-
PRO - More v-tec goodness. Longer power band. Can shift later to get into power band sooner in next gear. great midrange performance gains!
CONS - Can basically void your entire engine warranty, as the stealership I mean dealership can find a way blame any mechanical problem on the increased rev line. That's if they can tell the car is reflashed. I have yet to confirm whether or not they can tell.

So based on my research and what I want out of my car, I think I should get the FIPK K&N intake, Berk HFC, and hondata reflash only. Header and exhaust doesn't seem to be worth it to me. I think the FIPK intake is my best bet because it is the only intake that makes power without the way over inflated price tag. Berk HFC to make exhaust a bit throatier and a bit of performance.

What do you guys think? Agree or disagree on some stuff? I would like to debate this to see if I am missing anything or not thinking clearly about something. Also does anyone feel the FIPK intake will create a heat soak affect on my car. As I go to the track often, I would like to avoid heat soak.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by gentek1145,Oct 18 2008, 05:12 PM
depends on why you are doing these things.
I want a bit more power for track/butt dyno. Also I would like the car to be a bit throatier/meaner sounding but with a stock feel for DD. Basically, my last car would drone like crazy (from header + full exhaust no cats) and everything would rattle (from motor mount inserts + torque damper) and I really do not want this car to end up that way.

So basically, I want a bit more power, a bit more bite sound wise, and while maintaining daily driveability.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:27 PM

Also adding some midrange power is important to me. More important then peak power to be honest as I feel midrange is the only area the car is lacking a bit.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The car is new so I'd suggest you keep the mods mild for a couple of years. Lip for appearence, exhaust, FIPK, HFC , wheels and a window tint . All these mods do add a lot to personalise the car and also add a degree of performance. Also , if you have to return for warranty work, there is little of substance that the dealer can say. Nice car, nice color, have fun.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:05 PM

So what is everyone's thoughts on getting a HFC before exhaust?

I want to keep my setup cheap and easy for the time being. One of the main reasons why I sold my last car is the fact that I was dumping in sooo much money into it month for month for repairs, new mods, supporting mods, etc.

So I was thinking.....
FIPK intake and Berk HFC now. Wait a year or two and get an T1R R-EM Dual 70mm exhaust and hondata reflash.

Also is there any word of Berk releasing a 70mm HFC?
Old 10-19-2008, 06:23 PM

Go to the Sponsors Engine and Drivetrain forum, Asura is now custom fabricating 70mm HFCs. I bought one, hopefully it'll get here soon
Old 10-22-2008, 10:31 AM

Has anyone seen a dyno for FIPK intake on a AP2?

Also I noticed that everyone that lists the FIPK for 00-07. My car is an 08 and i am assuming it is fully capable, right?
Old 10-22-2008, 11:48 AM

^^there is an official intake thread on this forum, check it out
Old 10-22-2008, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by westmobs2k,Oct 22 2008, 11:48 AM
^^there is an official intake thread on this forum, check it out
thanks but i already checked it out and it doesnt address my questions.

1.)Is there an ap2 dyno of this intake?

2.) Is there any reason why they do not include 08 on the list for the FIPK intake? Pretty much every website i check lists it as being for 00-07. I am assuming that they just didn't update the list to include 08. Or maybe it is no longer smog legal for 08+??
Old 10-23-2008, 10:11 AM

don't know about the whole 08 issue, but i'd assume if it works for 06+, it's fine for 08. this is an assumption though.

as for heat soak...a lot of people look at the fipk and start spitting off about how much heat soak you'll get and so on...the truth is the fipk forms a perfect seal with the hood of the car when closed, thus blocking out any heat soak. so unless you plan on driving around with your hood popped you're not going to experience any loss.

as far as performance, it has been my personal opinion that the fipk is the best bang for buck intake. I've supported this through my own dynos and others. more importantly, i was just a part of a major intake performanace shoot out which only further supported this claim. all the major brand intakes were tested. now there were intakes that made more than the fipk, in fact a good deal more, but also at a good deal extra in price as well.

the fipk makes a very consistent 6hp increase for roughly $250. not a bad deal at all.

Quick Reply: Bolt-on Feeler...