S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Brake Caliper Upgrade - FOR AESTHETICS ONLY!!

Old 06-10-2019, 06:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Brake Caliper Upgrade - FOR AESTHETICS ONLY!!

Hello everyone! I have a 2003 S2000 and I would like to upgrade my front and rear brake calipers, but only for aesthetic reasons! I love the way they look and I understand the factory calipers are extremely competent for what the S2000 is. I do like to drive my car aggressively on backroads at times but I do not auto-x or spend anytime on the track. Given that there are many folks retrofitting Acura TL, Acura RL, FK8/FK2, Calipers. Depending on those options, a bracket and/or modifying the knuckle/caliper is needed to bolt to factory rotors. I have seen someone install the older type r calipers on the S, however, the piston sizes equate to a loss in brake pad strength. I would like to go up in power or remain the same but improve the looks of the brakes. What are your thoughts on a cost-effective option that still maintains factory function and reliability? I realize there is some risk involved modifying the brake caliper to fit the S2k knuckle. Given the way I drive, would you still recommend any of the above calipers that need modifying?

DISCLAIMER: I AM LOOKING FOR GUIDANCE AND OPINION OF DEPENDABILITY AND PERFORMANCE. STAYING ON SUBJECT IS APPRECIATED! THANK YOU
Old 06-10-2019, 08:50 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Spoon comes to mind as an upgrade for the fronts that also looks better. The rear calipers are tough as there is far fewer choices. Not sure I have even seen many retrofitted options for that. The spoon calipers may cost more up front than some of the used options but having done through rebuilding a comptech brembo kit I would just buy a new brake kit in the future given the amount of time and money the replacement parts ended up costing.
The following users liked this post:
9KEVERYDAY (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Spoon comes to mind as an upgrade for the fronts that also looks better. The rear calipers are tough as there is far fewer choices. Not sure I have even seen many retrofitted options for that. The spoon calipers may cost more up front than some of the used options but having done through rebuilding a comptech brembo kit I would just buy a new brake kit in the future given the amount of time and money the replacement parts ended up costing.
Thank you Manga! I keep going back and forth on which direction.

I was doing some research regarding brake rotors on the rear to get a vented rotor. It's way to thick but a 2013 civic lx brake rotor "might work". Would take some modification to the caliper brackets and have to turn the rotors down a lot.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:39 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

2013 civic rear rotors are vented? Or are you planning on using the front rotor?

Sakebomb makes a rear brake upgrade with vented rotors and a RX8 caliper.

Acura RL Advics brakes are CHEAP and also massive.

That combination might work to balance out the brake bias also.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:56 PM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I make the kits for the TL-S retrofit and Im working on the FK8 retrofit now. Majority of the BBK's out there, you are going to loose a little bit of pedal stiffness when going to a larger caliper. That's just how it is. More fluid is being moved. The only way to offset that is with a larger master cylinder(which I don't know of any)
Sakebomb garage just released a brakebooster adjuster which they claim mimics a larger master cylinder. I have not used it yet though.

RX8 calipers for the rear are a common retrofit.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:22 PM

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Charper732
I make the kits for the TL-S retrofit and Im working on the FK8 retrofit now. Majority of the BBK's out there, you are going to loose a little bit of pedal stiffness when going to a larger caliper. That's just how it is. More fluid is being moved. The only way to offset that is with a larger master cylinder(which I don't know of any)
Sakebomb garage just released a brakebooster adjuster which they claim mimics a larger master cylinder. I have not used it yet though.

RX8 calipers for the rear are a common retrofit.
@Charper732
have you considered offering the rx8 rear along with the powdercoated tl fronts your currently offer?

I would likely be down for doing a front/rear combo
Old 06-10-2019, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
2013 civic rear rotors are vented? Or are you planning on using the front rotor?

Sakebomb makes a rear brake upgrade with vented rotors and a RX8 caliper.

Acura RL Advics brakes are CHEAP and also massive.

That combination might work to balance out the brake bias also.
My apologies, I didn't clarify. Yes, It's the 2013 Civic LX FRONT rotors.

I've seen the Sakebomb RX-8 rear brakes and was trying to stick with as much as oe Honda or Acura as much as possible.

I've looked at the RL's as well, but those need a special bracket and Different rotor, correct?
Old 06-10-2019, 02:06 PM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by outeiroj
@Charper732
have you considered offering the rx8 rear along with the powdercoated tl fronts your currently offer?

I would likely be down for doing a front/rear combo
I'm focused on the FK8 w/ 2 piece rotor conversion right now. If I offer a rear conversion in the future, it would probably be with a STI rear brembo caliper.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:15 PM

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Charper732
I'm focused on the FK8 w/ 2 piece rotor conversion right now. If I offer a rear conversion in the future, it would probably be with a STI rear brembo caliper.
@Charper732
ive had your site saved for a while now (have your roll hoop speakers) and been keeping an eye out for rears. Next year is the year I set aside for brakes/interior/top... hope by then you got something going because I like the use of oem
Old 06-10-2019, 05:07 PM
G2G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a good set of pads and paint the calipers. That's what I did on my old S2000, used EBC brake pads and some paint off of amazon. I autocrossed the car and the brakes were great. Looked pretty decent with the meisters on them as well.

Quick Reply: Brake Caliper Upgrade - FOR AESTHETICS ONLY!!