S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Brakes

Old 07-17-2018, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes

Hi I'm new to this site and would welcome some thoughts on brakes.

I have a 55 plate S2K with just over 60000 on the clock. The brakes are getting close to needing replacing and I would like to upgrade them from the factory fitted ones it currently has. Any thoughts/recommendations would be much appreciated
Old 07-17-2018, 04:41 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Why do you think you need to "upgrade" from the OE brakes? Just curious as these are good brakes and on the street your tires are what influences you stopping, the stock brakes can lock all four wheels -- or would if not for ABS.

-- Chuck
Old 07-17-2018, 07:56 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

This ?

Bigger brakes don't stop the car any faster or any better. They just stop it repeatedly more consistently. They have more heat capacity so they won't fade or cook in repeated heavy use that can really only be achieved in track use with track tires.

If that is your use case, then there are several good options, from stop tech to sakebomb garage to urge.

One thing to keep in mind is cost of consumables. How much are replacement rotors and pads for that setup, as you will use up a lot on track.

Or maybe you just want better LOOKING brakes? In that case they sell those red covers so your calipers look like brembos...
Old 07-17-2018, 08:17 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

What kind of driving do you do?
Old 07-17-2018, 01:38 PM

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

best brake pad i ever ran on the street was the tire rack akebonos with the lowest performance and least dust. they were quiet and kept the wheels looking like new forever. theres no sense in high performance pads for a street car being driven normaly. its all marketing. if you needed performance (race) pads you would have started the post like "i went for the brake pedal after several minutes of wide open throttle in the mountains and the pedal wouldnt go down and the car slowed less than before" thats brake fade and to fix it you need dusty dusty race pads.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:16 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Dead Serious
best brake pad i ever ran on the street was the tire rack akebonos with the lowest performance and least dust. they were quiet and kept the wheels looking like new forever. theres no sense in high performance pads for a street car being driven normaly. its all marketing. if you needed performance (race) pads you would have started the post like "i went for the brake pedal after several minutes of wide open throttle in the mountains and the pedal wouldnt go down and the car slowed less than before" thats brake fade and to fix it you need dusty dusty race pads.

Not really. Some people enjoy driving and want the brake FEEL to be better. Better brakes dont just mean brakes with higher fade temps.

Ceramic pads are junk. And I have no clue why dusty wheels are such a big deal to so many people. If anything is being over-marketed...its ceramic low dust shitpads that make the brakes feel like you're clamping two oiled kitchen tiles onto your rotor.

OP hasn't said what "better" means to him, though. Better could mean lower dust. Or it could mean more stopping power. Or better response/bite at low temps.

I'm sure he'll return promptly and give us something meaningful.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:42 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Yeah you need to provide more info. Do you just mean new pads and rotors or a BBK? There is a wide range and upgrade could mean anything. A BBK introduces a lot of other considerations like wheel clearance and the cost is much higher.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:23 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

For street consider stock rotors with Winmax2 or Ferodo DS2500 pads. Might be dusty compared to your current pads.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:02 AM

Received 348 Likes on 324 Posts

Just switched from ebc yellow too ds2500=a little less dust & Street use only.approx 5 yrs and 25k miles on the EBCs
Old 07-23-2018, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all your replies.

The main reason for thinking they may need up grading is just I may have foolishly assumed that brake technology had moved on since they were fitted 13 years ago.

As you can see I'm not heavy on them as this will be the first new set that will be needed with 60k on the clock. It's normal driving no high braking track days. I'm careful which tyres I buy and am aware brakes are not the only thing that's important in stopping the car.

Dust isn't a huge factor but I guess feeling it's doing something its whats important. I'm probably comparing them to a set of 2 year ols Audi brakes and they do feel les

Quick Reply: Brakes