S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Clutch

Old 07-27-2012, 09:13 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Clutch

what you guys think about this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXEDY-CLUTCH...28%26rk%3D2%26 seems like a good clutch kit.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:36 AM

Received 1,263 Likes on 955 Posts

Overall a good kit, but I'd rather have the OEM AP1 flywheel. Flywheels that are too light are a little annoying for DD. If it's only a track car, then a 9-10LB flywheel is great. The AP1 stock flywheel is like 13LBS. That's a good balance between quick revving and driveability.

I have the Honda Genuine AP2 clutch in my AP1. I also have an AP1 flyweheel and AP2 trans. It's all very confusing, but a good combo.

The difference between Honda Genuine pressure plates and the aftermarket "OEM" pressure plates is that the OEM feels a bit heavier (pedal feel, not actual weight) and I think has more clamping force. The AP2 genuine Honda disk also has stronger springs that don't break out/loosen up like the AP1 clutches do. Not sure if the aftermarket Exedy ones have the stronger springs in them or not.

So far, my Honda Genuine AP2 kit has been great thru track days with no clutch buzz at all. The disadvantage was cost. It's about 2x the price of aftermarket Exedy.

PS, I know that Exedy is the manufacturer of Honda clutches. However, there seem to be differences between the Honda Genuine clutches and the aftermarket Exedy clutches.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Just buy an oem one. They are super cheap!
Old 07-27-2012, 05:49 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think the oem will be cheaper than this...
Old 08-16-2012, 12:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Overall a good kit, but I'd rather have the OEM AP1 flywheel. Flywheels that are too light are a little annoying for DD. If it's only a track car, then a 9-10LB flywheel is great. The AP1 stock flywheel is like 13LBS. That's a good balance between quick revving and driveability.

I have the Honda Genuine AP2 clutch in my AP1. I also have an AP1 flyweheel and AP2 trans. It's all very confusing, but a good combo.

The difference between Honda Genuine pressure plates and the aftermarket "OEM" pressure plates is that the OEM feels a bit heavier (pedal feel, not actual weight) and I think has more clamping force. The AP2 genuine Honda disk also has stronger springs that don't break out/loosen up like the AP1 clutches do. Not sure if the aftermarket Exedy ones have the stronger springs in them or not.

So far, my Honda Genuine AP2 kit has been great thru track days with no clutch buzz at all. The disadvantage was cost. It's about 2x the price of aftermarket Exedy.

PS, I know that Exedy is the manufacturer of Honda clutches. However, there seem to be differences between the Honda Genuine clutches and the aftermarket Exedy clutches.
This post is not too old yet,just wanted to mention, Exedy is not the manufacturer of s2000 clutches. They are made by F.C.C.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:12 AM

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,458 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
what you guys think about this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXEDY-CLUTCH...28%26rk%3D2%26 seems like a good clutch kit.
Exedy is an excellent clutch, I don't know much about F1 though I've seen some good reviews on here, the construction of the flywheel looks good in terms of material. Personally I'd run that kit, it looks to be high quality and that is what you want given the expense of pulling the tranny on these cars. Exedy will have the proper construction, you should be happy with it. I've run Exedy on my last car and it was really nice, very smooth.

That flyhweel is almost 11 lbs, a few lbs lighter than stock but not too light IMO. I'm running the ACT 8.6 lbs and after the first clutch engagement I was totally used to it, I've never stalled it once and in daily driving I don't notice a difference anymore compared to stock. That flywheel is fine IMO particularly since the exedy pp won't be overly stiff like some others out there. I'd run that kit on my car.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd be nervous buying the exedy clutch from ebay. Definitely have been a lot of fakes it seems. I'd buy oem from Majestic if you want to stick with the oem setup.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm at work so I can't check the ebay link but I'm assuming the F1 flywheel is the chromolly type. If so then it's a great flywheel. Mine weighs around 11 lbs so it's slightly lighter than the Ap1 but not so light that it's a pain in day to day driving. I have it paired with an ACT HD pressure plate and street disk. OEM pilot and throw out bearings. The feel is great, I do still have the buzz though because I used the ACT street disk instead of the OEM. Exedy is a fine clutch company and I've helped install 3 of their clutches in different applications (Scion TC, Acura RSX Type S, and Nissan 240sx). All were great replacements and they never had any issues with them. The only parts I would stress need to be OEM are the bearings.