S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Clutch recommendations please

Old 05-25-2008, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch recommendations please

Hi I have a MY07 s2000 and would like to replace the clutch.

I do not want anything heavy duty.

I'm not gonna get sc or turbo. I'm just gonna stay N/A.
only mod I will ever do is maybe intake and exhaust.

I want something little bit stiffer than OEM and more grabby.
I don't want anything too stiff. just little be stiffer that oem.

should I just get the kit from hardtopguy.com? which comes with ACT flywheel.

what do you guys recommend?
Old 05-25-2008, 03:02 PM

ACT HD pressure plate and oem clutch disk seems to be a popular choice. It's about 30~40% stiffer than stock from what others are saying. I don't believe there would be any difference with a lighter flywheel as far as the grab feel.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:55 PM

clutch masters and centerforce FTW..ive had both, both are amazing

no regrets.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:44 PM

Clutchmaster hands down for what your wanting. Something like the FX300 (Stage III) is what you are looking for. Go with carbon/kevlar for durability and longevity. You want something that has a sprung hub, and is not a puck clutch. This clutch will feel very much like stock except it will engage sooner (closer to the floor) and will bit much harder.

I would go ahead and get your flywheel resurfaced or upgrade to a new flywheel at the same time. You don't want a flywheel that is too light though. Something like the Spoon flywheel is a perfect application and is very proven. The flywheel will also allow the engine to spin without as much strain allowing you to rev match etc. much more efficiently.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:22 PM

should I go for FX200 or FX300?

also what kind of flywheel do you guys recommend?
what is too light?
what about AP1 flywheel?
Old 05-25-2008, 08:30 PM

In my opinion man don't bother with the clutch. Your cars practically brand new. The stock clutch will do just fine if your planning on lightly modding. Shoot I've seen people run FI on stock clutch and still be fine. Its a hell of a job changing out the clutch and it really won't do much since your clutch still has plenty of life left in it.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ACT stage1, oem disk, Comptech flywheel. I ran it for 4 years on my s/c S. Im about to do it on the new S as well. I had a bad experience with Centerforce on my old Honda.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:25 PM

should I go for FX200 or FX300?

(You can get by and be happy with either since you are not doing any hardcore mods. I stuck with the 300 since there was no real price difference and wanted the most durable clutch I could afford.)

also what kind of flywheel do you guys recommend?

(Spoon (4.2kg/9.25lbs), Comptech (4.4kg/9.8lbs); for anything balance related that is critical to the overall performance of the car stick with high-end equal or better than factory replacements. I have found that in the balance department Spoon is a step above the rest.)

what is too light?

(You don't want some crazy drilled out race flywheel or multi-piece that weights like 6lbs or less and has not been properly balanced and proven. Those flywheels are for race applications and trying to extract every last bit of horsepower; giving up balance, safety, etc. in the process. The Toda flywheel (3.8kg/8.36lbs) is probably the bottom line you would want to go with for what your looking to achieve.)
what about AP1 flywheel?

AP1 14+lbs still sluggish and since your already having work done it
Old 05-30-2008, 05:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by revhi,May 25 2008, 11:33 PM
ACT stage1, oem disk, Comptech flywheel. I ran it for 4 years on my s/c S. Im about to do it on the new S as well. I had a bad experience with Centerforce on my old Honda.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:37 PM

i have 1500 miles on my competition clutch stage 3 and when vtech engages it slips like crazy. Just got greddy turbo so Im going with ACT heavy duty pressure plate and street disk.

Quick Reply: Clutch recommendations please