S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Coilovers or Header back exhaust system

Old 11-01-2019, 08:44 AM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I'd also agree and say save upa bit more for Ohlins.

HOWEVER. If you're doing it more for the stance. Then i'd say just get the Fortune Autos. They arent a bad coilover and are decent for daily driving your S2000 around.

Also dont bother with that exhaust. You'll hate it when you do supercharge, as it will get louder. Which means more attention from the people you dont want it from (cops).

Overall here is what i recommend if you are going more for the "show car" style.

Coilovers
Wheels
Bodykit
Supercharger

You dont REALLY need an exhaust and you can find many decent sounding exhausts for cheap, not to mention you can always do the UK mod for like 150$ and gain some volume and tone.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:45 PM

Received 564 Likes on 395 Posts

Coilovers

I've been tracking my car for the better part of 8 years now and have well over $10k worth of modifications, and I'm still on the stock exhaust with just a $100 test pipe.

Exhaust is literally the last modification for me, and every time I think i'm ready to spend $800-$900 on a cat-back exhaust, I end up spending it on another set of NT-01s and track fees instead.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:38 AM
nen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you everyone for your input and advice!

To clarify some things, I DO daily drive the car hence the reason why I'm leaning towards a suspension upgrade. I also haven't tracked the car at all since I've gotten it but I do plan to when I can afford some better tires etc. As for the exhaust, I'll probably go with one of the cheaper options: tp, hfc, uk mod.

Also, the purpose for this car, I want it to look and be track oriented even though the most I'm probably going to do for now is some spirited driving here and there. Being slammed to the ground with crazy camber kits is not my intention.

To put my financial status into perspective, I'd probably have to save for about 2-3 months until I'd feel comfortable enough to spend $2,000 on a set of Ohlins.

Anyways, thanks for the responses. I'll update with another post when I end up doing something!
Old 11-02-2019, 02:16 PM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by nen
Thank you everyone for your input and advice!

To clarify some things, I DO daily drive the car hence the reason why I'm leaning towards a suspension upgrade. I also haven't tracked the car at all since I've gotten it but I do plan to when I can afford some better tires etc. As for the exhaust, I'll probably go with one of the cheaper options: tp, hfc, uk mod.

Also, the purpose for this car, I want it to look and be track oriented even though the most I'm probably going to do for now is some spirited driving here and there. Being slammed to the ground with crazy camber kits is not my intention.

To put my financial status into perspective, I'd probably have to save for about 2-3 months until I'd feel comfortable enough to spend $2,000 on a set of Ohlins.

Anyways, thanks for the responses. I'll update with another post when I end up doing something!
Just out of curiosity, are you at the point where you really think your suspension is holding you back on the track?

I honestly think there's a lot that can be done to this car before you start swapping out suspension (like aeros).

Last edited by Say Chi Sin Lo; 11-02-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:43 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Ohlins are the most $ I have ever spent on a car, I do not track the car,
i waited for good price.
With ado8r too complement upgrade= a very satisfied
Old 11-03-2019, 01:06 AM
nen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
Just out of curiosity, are you at the point where you really think your suspension is holding you back on the track?

I honestly think there's a lot that can be done to this car before you start swapping out suspension (like aeros).
I don't think it will hold me back on the track right now since I have 0 track time exp. The thought process I had was that inevitably, I was going to tinker with my suspension in the future anyways. So might as well go big or go home since suspension is pretty pricey to upgrade from what I've seen.

Also I do agree with you, I was looking at different kits and I really like the look of the APR front bumper along w/ the Spoon bumper, whether or not just the front bumper improves lap times is beyond me but I really enjoy the look it gives.

Question to all S2k owners who want to drop some sense: Do you think I should look into getting an aftermarket set of wheels now? Originally I wanted to lower the car first and then look into getting wheels but I don't know if that would be a smart move... What did you do?
Old 11-03-2019, 04:46 AM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by nen
Question to all S2k owners who want to drop some sense: Do you think I should look into getting an aftermarket set of wheels now? Originally I wanted to lower the car first and then look into getting wheels but I don't know if that would be a smart move... What did you do?
Again, depends on what you're going to do with the car. If it's just gonna be regular driving and some 'canyon' then do whatever you want. Nothing wrong with the stock wheels.
If the track bug bites in the future you'll most likely want bigger/wider wheels and possibly take BBK fitment into the equation as well. If you drop money on some baller wheels right now you may be kicking yourself in a few years when you can't run the tires you want or have to sell to fit a brake upgrade/ect.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:09 AM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by nen
I don't think it will hold me back on the track right now since I have 0 track time exp. The thought process I had was that inevitably, I was going to tinker with my suspension in the future anyways. So might as well go big or go home since suspension is pretty pricey to upgrade from what I've seen.

Also I do agree with you, I was looking at different kits and I really like the look of the APR front bumper along w/ the Spoon bumper, whether or not just the front bumper improves lap times is beyond me but I really enjoy the look it gives.

If you haven't driven it on the track yet, why "upgrade" the car? You don't even have a baseline of what the car is capable of, how are you going to be able to tell the difference between coilover A, coilover B, and stock? (Other than being lowered)

You're doing yourself and the car a dis-service if you don't experience the extremely capable suspension setup from factory first. I mean, the fact that most people here will tell you unless you go KW V3 or Ohlins, and everything else below is a downgrade, that says a lot about how fine tuned the dampers/springs are from factory.

Here's what I've done to prepare for my (first) track day
- Stainless Steel Brake Lines
- Brake fluids (Motul RBF 600)
- Winmax W4 (will throw them on the weekend before)
- Suspension bushings refresh with factory stuff
- Blacktrax Baffle Oil Pan (will install on my next oil change)
- AP2 banjo oil bolts (will install on my next oil change/oil pan install)
- AP2 retainers/keepers on the intake side
- Tires (still deciding)

I have a set of KW V3 in my garage, but I won't put them on until I think the factory setting are limiting my driving skills. And I know for sure that in factory form, this car is still far beyond my skills at the moment and if I just start throwing performance upgrade parts, they will not benefit me much other than a 5 minutes talk and brag about parts I have on my car in the next car meet.

Coilovers can be had for less if you are willing to buy used. But I recommend you get more seat time on stock suspension first, use that money to pay for track days instead and get a better understanding of the car. THEN, you really know what you will want out of your coilovers upgrade in the future.

Lastly, about wheels. Are you looking to run a different spec'd tires other than factory? Or are you trying to clear a big brake kit? Otherwise, get ready to spend a pretty penny because not a whole lot wheels fit these cars.

Last edited by Say Chi Sin Lo; 11-03-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:48 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Agree as above
https://www.showa1.com/en/product/au..._absorber.html
Old 11-04-2019, 03:22 AM

Received 1,136 Likes on 999 Posts

Modifying the suspension for street and back road driving is a waste of money as far as I'm concerned. Even the Mighty Car Mods lads documented tires make more of a difference than "coil overs." Adjustable suspensions are ideal for tuning the car to a specific race track where you take the same corner dozens of times in an afternoon and practice it all the time. These conditions don't exist on streets and back roads.

"College student" and "supercharger" seem pretty much mutually exclusive unless Daddy is funding one or both and you have a daily driver. Last time I priced a professional supercharger (LHT) installation, which requires a more robust clutch and perhaps other drive line changes, an aftermarket ECU (since your car is pre-2006), and good tires the cost approached $10,000. Hack job with used parts is gonna be $3,000 - $5,000 when all added up.

Zoomy exhaust will add power if the car can be tuned. High flow cat will allow a lowered VTEC (mine is 3600 rpm) for significant mid range power. No drive train changes needed.

-- Chuck
The following users liked this post:
nen (11-08-2019)

Quick Reply: Coilovers or Header back exhaust system