S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Corbeau FX1 Pro Review

Old 03-27-2016, 02:49 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Corbeau FX1 Pro Review

Like many here I decided to try an aftermarket fixed back race seat in my S2k. In a MY 00 this is a relatively simple swap, with no sensors to be concerned with. Pretty much old seat out, new seat in. I looked over all the usual options; the ubiquitous Recaro PP, the Sparco seats and also Bride. I also considered the no name knock-offs from eBay. Ultimately I decided to go with a name brand seat, but the idea of 800-1000+ for a Recaro didn't sit well with me. That lead me to Corbeau, which I have used in the past with good results.

I went with a FX1 Pro, hoping it would fit both me and the car. Brand new the seat cost about $350 shipped. Once arrived and after a visual inspection, I feel like the seat looks more like an $800 seat. The fabric and foam quality were excellent, and quality of the workmanship and the finish were very good. I can't say they were any quality issues but the plastic rings around the belt holes good be more robust, and the high gloss finish on the back looks great, but needs to be kept clean.

Driver Fitment: I am 6' 185lbs with semi athletic build (32-34" waist). The seat fits excellent, the foam is supportive, comfortable yet firm. Its not too tight but you do have to watch what you put in your pockets. There is a very slight push on my shoulders from the upper bolsters, but it gives you as planted feel. It is way more restrictive than a stock, but once you are in you are comfy. I can empty a tank of gas driving in this seat.

Car Fitment: This gets more interesting. I decided to go with the simple solution of buddy club rails to mount the seats. If you want to use the middle or upper holes on the provided side mount, no problem, bolt and go. However being 6', sitting low has always been an issue for me with the S2k. I was on backyard seat rails with the stock seats. And in the lowest holes with the provided brackets, I felt like I sat higher than my OEM seat. I bought some very low side mount L-brackets off eBay. However to mount the seat that low took some decent modifications. There are bottom seat mounts that stick out about 1.5". I had to cut of the rear ones. I also had to chamfer the lower edge of the seat on the drivers side the clear the seat slider mechanism. Then I had to refinish all the areas I cut. Also, the front of the seat needs to slip under the bulge on the tunnel, and you need to carefully balance the lateral position so it does not hit the door badly. Looking back it does not seem like much work, but it was A LOT of trial and error to get the perfect fit.

Bottom line, the seat bottom was scraping the floor (as low as possible), the bolster barely kissed the door when closed, and the glove box could still be opened. The fit was a perfect as possible, and as low as possible. The end result was a slightly lower seating position than the stock seats with BYS rails.

I managed the seat belt by using an extender for a 1996 Ford Mustang. I bolted it to an extension plate that is bolted to the Buddy Club rail. It took some work, but again its as good as it will be.

The Drive: For holding performance and comfort the seat is awesome. I can't imagine it being much better. The front thigh cushion is a little high, and takes getting used to. But the comfort is there and you are locked into the car. If the seat flexes, I can't tell. However, it is a race style seat, so the accessibility is fairly limited compared to the stock seats. Its a bit more of a pain to get in and out, but once you are in, you are in. It defiantly takes the S2k from a Sport car/tourer to a sport/track car. Good for some, not for everyone.

Verdict: If you want a fixed back race style seat in your S2k for a reasonable amount of money, I can't see how you could do better. I have a pic below but will get some more.

Happy motoring...

Old 03-27-2016, 03:14 PM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

Well done. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man, can you post a couple more pics, one with the top down from the front and from the sides? Thanks and thanks for directing me here. This might be the route that I go seeing as I can buy both driver and passenger seats for cheaper than just 1 Recaro PP. Also, I would need the non pro series which is 1" wider than the Pro series. Do you think they would fit just fine? Do you think two could fit and still retain the ability to open/close the center box.

What exactly did you need?

Seats
Buddy Club rails

Anything else?
Old 03-27-2016, 05:38 PM

No chance on the regular fx1. The pro in the s2k was tight as a drum. It just kisses the door on one side and just allows the compartment to open on the other. I used:

Buddy club rails
96 mustang seat belt ext
Low mounting brackets.
Epoxy and black gloss paint.

I will get some more pics as soon as the temp goes up and I can open the top.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:41 AM

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Nice review!

So you didn't use the provided buddy club side brackets and instead used some L brackets for the buddy club rails? The price of this seat is certainly appealing. 1 recaro PP will cost more than 2 of these, and the harness holes are too low for many folks also..
Old 03-30-2016, 10:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you post a link to the lower side mounts you used?
Old 03-30-2016, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I need both buddy club seat rail and a seat bracket for a aftermarket seat?
Old 03-30-2016, 05:24 PM

No the buddy club brackets will work fine with the corbeau. However if you want to mount the seat as low as possible, you will need a different bracket, here is what I used:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seat-Side-Mo...dV~Fjt&vxp=mtr
Old 03-30-2016, 08:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex1.0
No the buddy club brackets will work fine with the corbeau. However if you want to mount the seat as low as possible, you will need a different bracket, here is what I used:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seat-Side-Mo...dV~Fjt&vxp=mtr
Thank you for posting the link.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:58 PM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Really appreciate you reviewing this. Was looking around for seats and I was wondering how these would fit inside the car.

Quick Reply: Corbeau FX1 Pro Review