S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Crank Pulley removal tool BROKE

Old 05-30-2021, 09:53 AM

Received 433 Likes on 368 Posts

Heat and freeze does wonders, try what Car Analogy wrote first.
Also a sturdier tool might be good to get as well, I made this one myself.

The following users liked this post:
Kyle (05-30-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 01:57 AM

Received 188 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Scigheras
Yeah on some engines these crank pulley bolts are so tight, you really need a super heavy duty impact wrench.

I tried crank pulley holder tool + breaker bar too first. First the breaker bar bent. Got a bigger one. Then the crank pulley holder tool started deforming!
Then tried a decent impact wrench. No dice either.

In the end I drove to a garage where they had an absolutely massive impact wrench they said always got everything loose they ever needed to.
Even then, the guy had that thing hammering away at it for a good 30 seconds before it finally came loose.
I hope it doesn't come to that for me but i am asking around for shops that have pneumatic guns that can make quick work of this. My buddy Kyle has a Milwaukee that's off the shelf and it got his '02's bolt off so easily!

​​​​
Old 05-31-2021, 02:02 AM

Received 188 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by flanders
Heat and freeze does wonders, try what Car Analogy wrote first.
Also a sturdier tool might be good to get as well, I made this one myself.
That freeze approach had me hyped so i tried it but i was solo so what i did was, i wedged the holder tool against the EPS housing with a cloth in between and then tried to break the bolt loose. I expected it to be easy but instead i could see the engine lift up as if it was stretching the mounts. I tried again after repositioning the tool but it was still super tight. Either this approach was flawed and someone else needed to be there to hold the tool in place applying opposite lock to me turning the bolt left to loosen it or the bolt just didn't want to give. I sprayed the bolt with penetrating oil and let it sit overnight. Then this happened. I'm wondering now if by failing to remove it when i froze it the first time i made it harder for myself...

Maybe i must give this heat and freeze another try when my buddy comes around again to help.
​​​​
Old 05-31-2021, 08:16 AM

Received 433 Likes on 368 Posts

Make sure you drive it real hard so engine is really hot, then freeze that bolt, more temp difference is better.
Don't expect it to loosen with a normal ratchet wrench though, use a long breaker bar.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:08 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by zze86
Last ditch method: a breaker bar braced against the floor on the DS. Give it a crank, DON'T LET IT RUN! The crank wants to turn clockwise. The breaker bar holding the crank nut resists that and boom! Loose nut.

I've heard it could possibly lead to bad things. Not sure how or why. Always works for me with no issues. But I usually use it after exhausting other methods cuz of this. *Shrug*
if you do this, i would pull the fuel pump fuse to insure it wont start
Old 06-01-2021, 10:34 AM

Received 158 Likes on 121 Posts

This socket will get the bolt off every single time. This socket alone saves so much time and money, it's paid itself over time and time again. One or two 'braps' with my impact gun and it's off.

https://www.matcotools.com/catalog/p...lancer-socket/
Old 06-01-2021, 04:17 PM

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,013 Posts

As always, there is an Amazon version of that tool, for nearly half the price.

Its a Lisle tool, which is a name brand:

crank pulley socket crank pulley socket

I saw this earlier on Amazon and dismissed it. Thinking its just a fat socket. How's that gonna do anything? But the Matco link explains the extra mass helps transmit more of the impact guns energy to the bolt.

Maybe the Lisle Amazon listing explains that too. Didn't get that far.
Old 06-01-2021, 04:21 PM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy

crank pulley socket

I saw this earlier on Amazon and dismissed it. Thinking its just a fat socket. How's that gonna do anything? But the Matco link explains the extra mass helps transmit more of the impact guns energy to the bolt.

Worth trying this. Worse case scenario, you can return it for your money back.
Old 06-02-2021, 06:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy

crank pulley socket

Those weighted sockets are amazing. After trying breaker bars, heat/cold, etc, only with the weighted socket and a borrowed super beefy impact gun (I think it had something ridiculous like 1200 ft lbs breaking force) did that crank pulley budge.
Old 06-02-2021, 06:26 AM

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,013 Posts

I was going to buy the crank pulley locking tool, but am now leaning towards the beefy socket crank pulley tool. I have a powerful corded electric impact (in addition to a lesser cordless impact).

Is there room to get the impact gun in there, and a straight shot at the bolt?

Do you have to lift the motor to clear the steering rack or move radiator to make room for the gun?

Quick Reply: Crank Pulley removal tool BROKE