S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Crank Pulley removal tool BROKE

Old 05-29-2021, 05:18 AM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Crank Pulley removal tool BROKE

In an attempt to remove my crank pulley to tack the supercharger pulley onto, after many attempts to crack the sucker loose, the pulley removal tool snapped!!!

Seriously??? What now??
Old 05-29-2021, 05:28 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Impact wrench
Old 05-29-2021, 05:42 AM

Received 1,320 Likes on 998 Posts

Try the freeze bolt using upside down canned air spray trick. The canned air used to clean keyboards, etc.

Drive car to warm engine, hold can upside down, spray bolt, remove.

WEAR GLOVES, so you don't frostbite your hand.

You probably won't even need the crank tool. Just car in gear and ebrake.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:20 AM

Received 139 Likes on 114 Posts

Last ditch method: a breaker bar braced against the floor on the DS. Give it a crank, DON'T LET IT RUN! The crank wants to turn clockwise. The breaker bar holding the crank nut resists that and boom! Loose nut.

I've heard it could possibly lead to bad things. Not sure how or why. Always works for me with no issues. But I usually use it after exhausting other methods cuz of this. *Shrug*
Old 05-29-2021, 07:25 AM

Received 617 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by zze86
Last ditch method: a breaker bar braced against the floor on the DS. Give it a crank, DON'T START IT! The crank wants to turn clockwise. The breaker bar resists that and boom! Loose nut.

I've heard it could possibly lead to bad things. Not sure how or why. Always works for me with no issues.
Lol that's what I was telling him. Also could try the rope method down the cylinder like you do for doing the valve retainers to hold the crank in place by not allowing the piston to reach TDC. I've heard people have done this on other cars.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Try the freeze bolt using upside down canned air spray trick. The canned air used to clean keyboards, etc.

Drive car to warm engine, hold can upside down, spray bolt, remove.

WEAR GLOVES, so you don't frostbite your hand.

You probably won't even need the crank tool. Just car in gear and ebrake.
Tried that but maybe I should give it another shot for good measure
Old 05-29-2021, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Scigheras
Impact wrench
Mine didn't work. Trying to get my hands on a more powerful one
Old 05-29-2021, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by zze86
Last ditch method: a breaker bar braced against the floor on the DS. Give it a crank, DON'T LET IT RUN! The crank wants to turn clockwise. The breaker bar holding the crank nut resists that and boom! Loose nut.

I've heard it could possibly lead to bad things. Not sure how or why. Always works for me with no issues. But I usually use it after exhausting other methods cuz of this. *Shrug*
I'm afraid of those "bad things" though.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Kyle
Lol that's what I was telling him. Also could try the rope method down the cylinder like you do for doing the valve retainers to hold the crank in place by not allowing the piston to reach TDC. I've heard people have done this on other cars.
I could try the rope but it seemed like between my buddy and I the max strength we each had with the jack handle on the breaker bar at varying lengths wasn't enough. Need to get some huge guy to come give it a try lol
Old 05-30-2021, 03:03 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
Mine didn't work. Trying to get my hands on a more powerful one
Yeah on some engines these crank pulley bolts are so tight, you really need a super heavy duty impact wrench.

I tried crank pulley holder tool + breaker bar too first. First the breaker bar bent. Got a bigger one. Then the crank pulley holder tool started deforming!
Then tried a decent impact wrench. No dice either.

In the end I drove to a garage where they had an absolutely massive impact wrench they said always got everything loose they ever needed to.
Even then, the guy had that thing hammering away at it for a good 30 seconds before it finally came loose.

Quick Reply: Crank Pulley removal tool BROKE