S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Depo Taillight Condensation

Old 03-15-2018, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how hard was this install on the ap1?
Old 03-15-2018, 06:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jimcity21
how hard was this install on the ap1?
It was pretty straightforward for the most part, I accidentally had the cables coming out of the wrong holes at first, but it was pretty plug and play
Old 03-15-2018, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by phiaceko
It was pretty straightforward for the most part, I accidentally had the cables coming out of the wrong holes at first, but it was pretty plug and play
I'm not sure if this is something that is not mentioned in marketing material, but they did also condense at a recent track, but hasnt since
Old 04-03-2018, 04:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope this helps some of you. I wont make too much a lengthy explanation but after a bit of tinkering, I found what the issue was.

Anybody who has either a rear diffuser and or any body modifications in the rear or. Or even stock cars, this is an issue of the difference of air temperature between the trunk and the cooler air while the car is in motion.

When you remove the tail light housings, you'll notice holes between the rear bumper and the chassis. In my case, I could see, in one corner, directly to the rear tires and another towards the center of the bumper, looking down at my diffuser. The air coming from these spots, cools the already warm air in the tail light housings, creating condensation.

Ever notice how the condensation goes away after the car sits for a while?

With that said, I thought, why doesn't the OEM housing suffer from the same thing?? My only explanation is that the OEM housings both of vents to equalized air pressure (and temperature) and to drain any collecting condensation. And also, the OEM housings are thicker than DEPOs.

I was able to resolve my issue blocking the airflow from these parts of the bumper, blowing onto the housings. I can tell you that I tried to seal the HELL out of my housings to the point that I submerged the face in WATER and they remained air/water tight but I was still getting condensation. What finally helped me was blocking that cool air flow from the the holes in the bumper.

I'd be glad to help you guys because I know this is a huge pain point for us DEPO owners. And ironically, we keep going for returns and swaps but it's not entirely the fault of the housings. None-the-less, DEPO should recognize this and create a "pad" that rests along the bottom of the housing, blocking those holes.

What I did was sloppy using both soft foam along with gorilla tape but it's been effective after driving hundreds of miles in all weather. conditions.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Nippon
I hope this helps some of you. I wont make too much a lengthy explanation but after a bit of tinkering, I found what the issue was.

Anybody who has either a rear diffuser and or any body modifications in the rear or. Or even stock cars, this is an issue of the difference of air temperature between the trunk and the cooler air while the car is in motion.

When you remove the tail light housings, you'll notice holes between the rear bumper and the chassis. In my case, I could see, in one corner, directly to the rear tires and another towards the center of the bumper, looking down at my diffuser. The air coming from these spots, cools the already warm air in the tail light housings, creating condensation.

Ever notice how the condensation goes away after the car sits for a while?

With that said, I thought, why doesn't the OEM housing suffer from the same thing?? My only explanation is that the OEM housings both of vents to equalized air pressure (and temperature) and to drain any collecting condensation. And also, the OEM housings are thicker than DEPOs.

I was able to resolve my issue blocking the airflow from these parts of the bumper, blowing onto the housings. I can tell you that I tried to seal the HELL out of my housings to the point that I submerged the face in WATER and they remained air/water tight but I was still getting condensation. What finally helped me was blocking that cool air flow from the the holes in the bumper.

I'd be glad to help you guys because I know this is a huge pain point for us DEPO owners. And ironically, we keep going for returns and swaps but it's not entirely the fault of the housings. None-the-less, DEPO should recognize this and create a "pad" that rests along the bottom of the housing, blocking those holes.

What I did was sloppy using both soft foam along with gorilla tape but it's been effective after driving hundreds of miles in all weather. conditions.
Yea if you have some pics that would be great!
Old 08-14-2018, 03:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phiaceko
Yea if you have some pics that would be great!

Far shot

You can see a large hole closer to the center of the bumper

This is where it gets interesting. You can see light looking directly through the bumper

Zooming in, you can literally see the tire. Imagine the amount of air pressure that's coming from there.

I cut out some foam and placed them over the holes

Same on this end

I used gorrilla tape and made sure the foam attached to the sticky side

It's a rudimentary setup but it's held for over a year, dragon runs and high speed rain drives.
Old 01-03-2022, 02:53 PM

A bit of an unfortunate update, it looks like during this past rainy season, the condensation had gotten so bad that there's actually a 1/2" deep puddle at the bottom of the tail light. I think as mentioned above, this is probably due to the difference in air temps, but I actually think that some of it has to do with the exhaust temps somehow, as after I've put on an aftermarket exhaust, this issue now only on the side with the aftermarket exhaust exit.

Anyways.... does anybody know a quick and easy way to get rid of all this water?