S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

DIY: Ingalls Engine Torque Damper Install

Old 11-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: Ingalls Engine Torque Damper Install

Hi fellow S2K fans, Heeltoe Automotive is a direct distributor for Ingalls Engine Torque Damper kits! For more info on this please follow this link:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...f=186&t=840574

The Pros to this ETD over other options is:
1) No rubbing of the AC lines
2) No removal of the fuse box bracket
3) No need to bend over to try to thread the bolt into the side of the block
4) No drilling or new heat shield required
5) Install time is around 40 minutes, very easy
6) GB price

Here is a DIY guide on installing the Ingalls ETD

1)

2)

3) Remove the two shock tower nuts (OEM is 14mm) on the left shock tower

4) Place the bracket on the left shock tower.

5) Next remove these two bolts, they require an Allen Key

6) Now place the include Ingalls bracket over the two holes where you just removed the two Allen head bolts. Then thread the new bolt (included) into the hole to secure the bracket. Don't torque it down all the way (save this for the end)

7) The one behind the bracket is harder to get to, but I was able to get to it with my Allen head socket with extension.

8) Now find this bolt and spacer combo

9) Slip the spacer between the Ingalls bracket and slip the bolt through the spacer and into the engine block. Don't torque it down all the way (save this for the end)

10) Now find the VTEC solenoid bracket, we have to move it out of the way of the ETD. This is where you will find it, remove the top bolt (I believe its a 10mm)

11) Now just move it to the side as so, you can torque this bolt down, but don't over tighten

12) Now its time to connect the ETD! Connect one side to the bracket that is attached to the Engine block. Make sure the Ingalls logo is right side up!Don't torque it down all the way (save this for the end) Also there is a rubber gasket O ring included, this goes between the bracket and the bolt

13) Now attach the other side to the bracket connected to the shock tower.Don't torque it down all the way (save this for the end) Also there is a rubber gasket O ring included, this goes between the bracket and the bolt (hard to see)

14) Now when everything is connected, its time to tighten all the bolts up!

15) Now your done! As you can see this car had a strut bar....just remove the strut bar out of the way and reconnect it later.

Hope this helps!

** In steps 12 and 13 I forgot to add that there are two rubber O ring's that are included, these can be installed between the bracket and the bolt to reduce any noise, not shown in this DIY, but will post pictures up of it soon**
Old 11-12-2010, 09:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those 2 allen key bolts that the bracket bolts to, is it support bolts to attach the head to the block or something else?
Old 11-12-2010, 09:28 PM

hmmm, something to note is that the availability of the TCT is made more complicated. but those that are planning to do this have probably seen this already.

nice write up!
Old 11-12-2010, 09:46 PM

Great writeup! Just a question, what does the car feel like after installing this? More vibrations onto the chassis?
Old 11-12-2010, 10:13 PM

I had this on my car I liked it... not sure about feeling different since I didn't pay attention, however I had to remove it because it doesn't fit with x-brace strut bar.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Calamari,Nov 12 2010, 10:46 PM
Great writeup! Just a question, what does the car feel like after installing this? More vibrations onto the chassis?
Well the purpose of the ETD is to reduce the shake, rocking of the engine while under load. This translates into power being put to the ground instead of lost (this product will not increase hp, but allow you to use more of the hp if that makes sense)

You should also notice a difference in shifting feel while under full load, it reduces some vibrations felt in the shifter, and thus allows for a more direct and certain feel when shifting, even when cornering. This is because the ETD dampens the movement of the motor...and thus reduces the vibrations to the transmission.

Some have noticed a big difference in their shifting feel, others have not noticed much difference...It might be more effective while cars with higher mileage as well. And it is more noticeable when your driving more aggressively.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:14 AM

Great DIY, I have the NRG but this looks much nicer.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by whitebrad25,Nov 12 2010, 10:28 PM
hmmm, something to note is that the availability of the TCT is made more complicated. but those that are planning to do this have probably seen this already.

nice write up!
Thanks for bringing that issue up! The maintenance hole is indeed blocked by the Ingall's bracket. Of course you have the option of just taking the ETD and the bracket off (no matter how easy, still a hassle)

Or you can follow this tip/trick brought to you by fellow member Sideways on how to install a new TCT when the front maintenance hole is not accessible (like with a Supercharger)

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry18299769
Old 11-15-2010, 12:48 PM
Former Sponsor

I would like to add that the Ingalls ETD comes with full instructions in English as well. But some people are more visual
Old 11-19-2010, 06:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SOL1D,Nov 12 2010, 10:12 PM
Those 2 allen key bolts that the bracket bolts to, is it support bolts to attach the head to the block or something else?
Those bolts hold the upper and lower engine timing cover together.

Quick Reply: DIY: Ingalls Engine Torque Damper Install