S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Electronic Hobbyist looking to have some fun!

Old 04-28-2019, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, right now here is the list of items being asked for/brought up/I thought was cool.

Let me know if i missed something! I can "work" on a cruise control relocation, but I don't have an aftermarket steering wheel to really get it tuned in.

Keyless Start (Full) Both Secured and Non-Secured
LED Screen showing Ratios, VTEC Engagement, Fuel Pressure
Electronic Adujustable Mirror modification
Steering Wheel Extension
Cruise Control Relocation
Roof Switch to control windows (Hardtop guys)
Integrated Garage door opener (Modify has a real nice one, would have to investigate if something else would be desired)
Automatic Headlights at Night
Collision detection
Old 04-28-2019, 09:50 AM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

FWIW Over the years I've added stuff that I wanted for one reason or another. Here is a list.
  1. Separate under dash fuse block for "ignition-on" powered accessories.
  2. Separate under dash fusing for "constant" power features (dash USB, outlet for pc/iPad).
  3. Garage door opener in console.
  4. Footwell lighting
  5. AFR, ECT and Boost on dash.
  6. Rear view (WiFi) camera
  7. 12v 5.5 millimeter plug outlet for heated clothing/seat heater.
  8. Headlight-switched DRL (COB LED strips)
While the dash gauges mounted into the audio control and onto the steering wheel cover work well a better solution would be to have a steering wheel cover band or bar holding 3-5 outputs (oilP, oilT, AFR, ECT, MAP) would be better. My current configuration, which can be greatly improved, hides part of the rev meter, idiot lights for seat belt, e-brake, battery, high beam, trunk open, and door open monitoring. I'm looking around for digital gauges that I may disassemble to incorporate into such a single bar-like display.

Here is the current setup.

For the garage door opener, I bought a used MY08 console module off eBay and installed it into my MY04 console and then converted the defrost button into a console-embedded, garage door opener.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by hecash
FWIW Over the years I've added stuff that I wanted for one reason or another. Here is a list.
  1. Separate under dash fuse block for "ignition-on" powered accessories.
  2. Separate under dash fusing for "constant" power features (dash USB, outlet for pc/iPad).
  3. Garage door opener in console.
  4. Footwell lighting
  5. AFR, ECT and Boost on dash.
  6. Rear view (WiFi) camera
  7. 12v 5.5 millimeter plug outlet for heated clothing/seat heater.
  8. Headlight-switched DRL (COB LED strips)
While the dash gauges mounted into the audio control and onto the steering wheel cover work well a better solution would be to have a steering wheel cover band or bar holding 3-5 outputs (oilP, oilT, AFR, ECT, MAP) would be better. My current configuration, which can be greatly improved, hides part of the rev meter, idiot lights for seat belt, e-brake, battery, high beam, trunk open, and door open monitoring. I'm looking around for digital gauges that I may disassemble to incorporate into such a single bar-like display.

Here is the current setup.

For the garage door opener, I bought a used MY08 console module off eBay and installed it into my MY04 console and then converted the defrost button into a console-embedded, garage door opener.

One of the most exciting things I am planning is a dash add on (either where the audio controls are or a custom formed plastic insert in the corner of the dash, piller, windshield) for an LCD showing all the relevant info you want!
Old 04-28-2019, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by KaizenKody
One of the most exciting things I am planning is a dash add on (either where the audio controls are or a custom formed plastic insert in the corner of the dash, piller, windshield) for an LCD showing all the relevant info you want!
There are lots of devices and smart phone apps that show you all of the relevant info that you want in a multi-line display. But, when you are between turn 6 and 7 at Gingerman and you want to know what your oil pressure (OP) is and then look back to the track in about 1 second, they all fail because you need to eye-search the data display. That's why I put in full gauge displays. I can flick my eye to the large OP display and be back to the track in an instant. But, if I had a band of large digit displays on top of the steering wheel cover, it would be just as easy.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:55 AM

I just noticed that you can see my footwell lighting in the first picture of the gauges.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:32 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by KaizenKody
I can, and it is fairly easy/cheap.

But there is a saying in the infosec world "Security by obscurity is not security at all".

Which means that hiding something or obscuring the methods alone is hardly enough.

Now that I have that out of the way, that is actually how I ran my Tacoma, despite having better versions simply cause I was focused on improving the unit rather than installing it in my truck lol!

I can help design a simple "harness" that would start the vehicle with a 3 pole switch (off, acc, on) and a "hidden" master switch. Super easy, but disable built in security (VATS/chip in key) is not something I would directly recommend as a long term solution. If you are fine with that, then once I get the harness made up (need to do it anyway mostly for the secured system too) we can talk.
Yea works for me. Send me a PM when you are ready.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:23 AM

So it begins!
Old 05-02-2019, 01:45 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
I just wanted to guide you away from luxury type features that few here would want,

Not sure I would make that generalization.

OP - keep going! most of us are silently watching
Old 05-07-2019, 03:54 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Repair/updating of the old McGyver analog/digital windscreen lights. Mine died years ago and they're no longer supported by the original manufacturer.

Tim
Old 05-07-2019, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by timg
Repair/updating of the old McGyver analog/digital windscreen lights. Mine died years ago and they're no longer supported by the original manufacturer.

Tim
I'm not sure I am following what you are asking for?

Quick Reply: Electronic Hobbyist looking to have some fun!