S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Go boost or stay Nitrous?

Old 12-22-2011, 06:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Go boost or stay Nitrous?

My end goal is I want to have ~300whp as I've got 4.77s and much more than that would be too much for the gearing. I've got close to that with the nitrous but refilling the bottle is quite a pain for my situation.

Mods are in sig, but basically right now I'm running full bolt ons (I/H/TP/E) 4.77 final drive and a 75 shot of nitrous.

So basically I will have about $1200 to spend on the car and I can't make up my mind as to what direction I want to go. Here's the options I'm contemplating.

1) Boost.
I was thinking that I could sell my nitrous set up plus the N/A mods that I have and wouldn't need for a turbo set up (like intake and header) and try to find a used GReddy kit or something between 2500-3000. $3k would be my upper limit on how much I could spend however so I'd be afraid of not being able to complete the kit and get it running reliably for that much $$$.

2). N/A & Nitrous tune + J's style diffuser
I really like my nitrous, but where I live I have to drive ~30mins to and from a speed shop and pay $5/lb to get my bottle filled so it's quite a pain in the ass. With this options I would just buy a tuning system (thinking EMU) and either learn how to tune it or find someone to tune it and get a decent N/A tune and maybe a nitrous tune. I also really like the J's Racing diffuser and may have enough left over to grab one of the replicas a sponsor is selling.

3). Other options / misc.?
This option is just kind of pick up a few things / keep my money. Was maybe thinking about swapping out my wheels to 17" PF01s, maybe respraying my front bumper (starting to spiderweb due to it being polyurethane and hitting a tire a year ago) and getting a front bra. This may be the "smarter" move but I got the mod bug pretty bad and I love doing stuff to the car, so I'm mostly looking at the two options above.

Anyone else have ideas? Thoughts are welcome. Guys with experience think I could pick up some form of boost for $2.5-3k? Id prefer turbo but s/c would be awesome as well.

Here's a pic where you can see that the rear end is lacking in the aggressive department and the rear diffuser would really help to liven it up in that area

Help me out!
Old 12-23-2011, 01:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

nos+ j's diffuser! but you can never go wrong with boost. But i dont like greedy's turbo kit. i would rather go s/c than get greedy's kit.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to have a little more power, then get a base sc kit. It will run a lot better and won't have as much problems as a base greddy kit (with emu).

Decide whether you want your car to look cooler or be fast. You can always do the other later.

Sent using free Tapatalk - Android FTW
Old 12-23-2011, 04:00 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I say keep the header and sell the intake and nitrous and save up for a supercharger. They would work best for your power goals and superchargers are cheaper initially and cheaper in the long run.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:01 PM

Can a base S/C kit be had for ~$2500 though?
Thats gonna be my price range probably because Im gonna need to buy new tires and a camber kit. This -2.5 degrees of camber is awesome, but painful lol
Old 12-23-2011, 09:24 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd stay nitrous and buy 2 15lb bottles..
Old 12-23-2011, 10:20 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

You might be able to find a used supercharger setup for around 2.5-3k. It's all dependent on the market at the time. If you go the boost route you will need to increase your budget. Even if you can get a kit (supercharger or greddy) in that price range you will still need more money for little things here and there and a tuning session. Boost is not cheap. If you are going to do it- do it right the first time.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Supercharger imo.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by dc2-2-ap1
... Boost is not cheap. If you are going to do it- do it right the first time.

This is why Im kind of leaning towards keeping the nitrous. I've already got a perfectly working 75 shot set up, why ruin a good thing and try to go for more when it could start causing problems that I can't afford to fix.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:35 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You don't want boost with those gears anyways.. You'll be going through the gears to fast.. (spending too much time shifting)

Quick Reply: Go boost or stay Nitrous?