S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Good motor mounts?

Old 05-20-2012, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good motor mounts?

Does anyone know if Megan motor mounts vibrate less than Innovative? I'm due on new motor mounts. I am thinking on getting stock ones but I was at billmans place getting clutch replacement when he noticed my mounts are no good he told me not to get innovative because of the vibrating issue. He also thinks Megan racing are a good set of mounts better than stock that don't have such a high vibration, but to find out cuz he's not 100% sure.
Am I better going stock? Please help share some info
Old 05-20-2012, 10:54 PM

sorry i cant help, but in for answers.... in the same situation, think i have a bad motor mount because my valve cover has a spot that has rubbed off. was debating between the megan and innovative 75.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by monks
sorry i cant help, but in for answers.... in the same situation, think i have a bad motor mount because my valve cover has a spot that has rubbed off. was debating between the megan and innovative 75.
From what billman explained to me he doesn't recommend innovative mounts to anyone. He went on saying that it makes your engine sound loud and the vibration is very high so unless u don't mind those aspects go for it. I just got in contact with Megan they said their mounts are OEM mounts but modified to be stronger and last longer without giving the vibration or cabin noise to the car. I will be ordering mines this week, I should have them installed by mid June.
Remember this is what I was told by billman who has driven a couple cars with innovative mounts so I would go research on them before you buy them.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:27 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k809
Originally Posted by monks' timestamp='1337583258' post='21715746
From what billman explained to me he doesn't recommend innovative mounts to anyone. He went on saying that it makes your engine sound loud and the vibration is very high so unless u don't mind those aspects go for it. I just got in contact with Megan they said their mounts are OEM mounts but modified to be stronger and last longer without giving the vibration or cabin noise to the car. I will be ordering mines this week, I should have them installed by mid June.
Remember this is what I was told by billman who has driven a couple cars with innovative mounts so I would go research on them before you buy them.
Billman's advice is confirmed by myself firsthand. I removed my Innocvative mounts. I track my car regularly, but it's also my daily driver, and I couldn't take the vibration.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by davidc1
Originally Posted by s2k809' timestamp='1337628313' post='21717464
[quote name='monks' timestamp='1337583258' post='21715746']
Billman's advice is confirmed by myself firsthand. I removed my Innocvative mounts. I track my car regularly, but it's also my daily driver, and I couldn't take the vibration.
[/quote]
What mount do you have now? Have you herd anything on Megan mounts.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by s2k809
Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1337628423' post='21717474
[quote name='s2k809' timestamp='1337628313' post='21717464']
[quote name='monks' timestamp='1337583258' post='21715746']
[/quote]
What mount do you have now? Have you herd anything on Megan mounts.
[/quote]

Given that I had already paid for Innovative mounts, I went with their street mounts. They feel the same as OEM mounts. Unfortunately, the street mounts don't have a reputation for being very durable, so, I'll probably have to replace them. I guess that's why the come with a lifetime warranty. On parts, I'll still have to pay the labor. Given a choice, I would have stayed with OE mounts.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:36 PM

Yep, I remember reading recently that billman recommended OEM mounts, also installing an Ingalls engine torque damper to prolong the life of the mounts. Sounds like solid advice to me, that's the route I'll go when up for replacement. Billman really knows his stuff
Old 05-22-2012, 12:20 AM

I have Hardrace Mounts on my car and the difference is night and day. Car feels much more solid in the on/off throttle transition. The vibration is definitely present but not too bad, anymore and it would be almost unbearable, I can only imagine how bad the Innovative mounts are. If you daily your car these are the perfect blend of comfort and performance. I believe Hardrace makes the Megan Mounts
Old 05-22-2012, 02:08 AM

I have 95A Innovative. Honestly, its not that bad. Cold starts will shake my mirror glass but it dies down from idling at close to 2k and stops. Unless I am too low in a gear or really on it. Its completely fine I don't really notice it. The only very noticable thing with these are more direct shifting and engine response. And transmission noise. I can hear my clutch spinning at a redlight if I turn off my music and its quiet out. Also the beginning of first gear sounds like a little go-kart as far as transmission noise along with if you have the 'clutch buzz' I do. It gets amplified in volume but again. Nothing ridiculous.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by rmk232
I have 95A Innovative. Honestly, its not that bad. Cold starts will shake my mirror glass but it dies down from idling at close to 2k and stops. Unless I am too low in a gear or really on it. Its completely fine I don't really notice it. The only very noticable thing with these are more direct shifting and engine response. And transmission noise. I can hear my clutch spinning at a redlight if I turn off my music and its quiet out. Also the beginning of first gear sounds like a little go-kart as far as transmission noise along with if you have the 'clutch buzz' I do. It gets amplified in volume but again. Nothing ridiculous.
The 75A is what I started off with. The 75A is their "Track" mount. Then, you have the 85A "Race" mount, and finally the 95A "Extreme" mount, which is almost just no mount at all it's so stiff. (I assume MK232, that you actually meant the 75A. If you really mean the 95A, then your opinions are definitely of an outlyiier nature, and shouldn't be considered in anyone's decision.) Then I took them off, and put on the 60A street mount. To give a little more detail....there was a very strong pronounced resonance at 1500-1800 rpm and 3800-4200 rpm. Other rpm's were tolerable.

But those two rpm ranges are exactly were you are at when in stop and go traffic and when on the freeway. Considering I drive 25,000mi a year, it was in no way tolerable. Take into account I would occasional drive other people in my car who don't know about performance mods, well, they thought something was seriously wrong with the car.

The resonances were bad enough that there is no doubt in my mind that after time, it would cause far more rattles and squeaks in the car to appear.

I did forget to mention earlier the noise as well. You can hear every little thing in the engine and especially tranny.

While it is something that someone could get used to, to say "honestly, its not that bad" is simply a matter of opinion, not fact. It IS that bad. It's just whether you, and anybody you drive in your car, can tolerate it.

An analogy would be to compare the ride and noise quality between my car (with CR suspension) and my previous Integra GS-R. I've gotten completely used to my suspension, doesn't bother me in the least. But my wife, who didn't have any issues with the GS-R, can't tolerate my CR suspension. After a long drive, she feels just beat up by the noise and ride.

In summary....as Billman and other's have mentioned, the noise and vibration difference with the mounts is HUGE, don't let anyone tell you otherwise, but, the question is whether it's a bother to you.

Quick Reply: Good motor mounts?