S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Help me understand this.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help me understand this.

I have been putting a lot of work into making sure everything is running well with my car to the best of my DIY knowledge thanks to this site for the most part. I DO want to do more in the future (supercharge possibly) but for now I wanna get some other stuff figured out.

Prior to owning my s2k, the most I've ever done as far as vehicle work was install a short ram intake, change plugs, oil, and wheels on my old civic. I just never had the opportunity or time to learn much about vehicles.

Since owning my s2k, I have changed the clutch, installed springs, installed a CAI, install exhaust, tp, and header, valve adjustment, made my own oil catch can, and a ton of other things, all own my own using DIY guides found here on these forums. I have saved myself a ton of money from doing my own work, and have actually learned something quite useful as I have begun to help my friends with their problems.

Thats why I paid for a membership here.

NOW, on to my question.

I have all the aforementioned parts installed and I feel that I may be in need of a tune. This is where everything becomes greek to me. There is VAFC, wideband, EMS and all the other neat little things around, and im not sure which one is right for me. I can say right now that I am not in a financial position to drop 1k on an AEM EMSII. I have done lots of searching on these forums for a dummies guide to tuning and havent come up with much to help me. All I want is to have my ECU recognize my mods and use them to the full and safest potential. I think EMS would be overkill for this since I'm not boosted, correct? Can I actually tune with just a wideband, or do I need some sort of special device to input settings into my stock ECU? Do I HAVE to go to a shop with a dyno and have someone tune the car, or is there a way I can drive on the road and tune.

Anyone care to pop my cherry on this?
Old 03-12-2010, 06:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A wideband is going to record air/fuel ratio, which will be necessary for best results. MY03 I think there's a haltech unit, greddy, aem EMS, K-pro, and I think I'm missing one or two.

Road tuning is best method, because your actually collecting real world data which a dyno can't fully simulate. However to do it right, you're going to have to be doing illegal speeds to really get the most accurate info. However, unless you can find a really extensive explanation of tuning I wouldn't suggest doing it yourself. Also look into Evans Tuning (If I'm correct), a sponsor on this board who does e-tuning for different systems, which he's done for quite some time now with solid results from my understanding
Old 03-12-2010, 06:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Since you have an AP1, you could do pretty well with a VAFC or NEO. However, you would have to upgrade if you add an SC in the future.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A VAFC will only change fuel trims at WOT. I'll be getting a Greddy E-manage Ultimate when it comes time to tune my car. There is a lot involved in order to see postitive results. I would suggest taking it to a professional to have it tuned.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike21,Mar 12 2010, 09:25 AM
A VAFC will only change fuel trims at WOT. I'll be getting a Greddy E-manage Ultimate when it comes time to tune my car. There is a lot involved in order to see postitive results. I would suggest taking it to a professional to have it tuned.
For basic bolt-ons, part throttle tuning really doesn't provide much benefit.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like the only practical option would be to upgrade to a standalone EMS and get it tuned by a tuner. Fair enough. Just want to put my money in the right place. There are a few Apexi VAFC 1 and 2's floating around craigslist for 150-225 and was just wondering if i should jump on it. I also keep seeing some AEM EMSII's for 800, but thats too steep for me at the moment.