S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

HKS SSM - 1st impressions

Old 06-07-2015, 02:36 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

The height seems decent, I had to adjust the hangers when I did my Mugen exhaust install, easy enough to do if you ever find that it needs adjustment.

Any idea on how much it weighs ? The smaller sized mufflers should offer some savings I would think.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Randizzle88
I have this exhaust. I like it alot. Wish it was a 70mm tho,
How long have you had it? Has it gotten louder over time? I wish it was just a tad louder.
Also what are you using it with? Cat/hfc/tp? I'm wondering how it will sound with a tp.

Originally Posted by diabloAP1
man, how to keep the car that clean? do you drive it in the river on the weekly basis? LOL
lol no river. Has a healthy coat of wax all the time so it always "looks" clean. Also helps it's not a dd.

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
The height seems decent, I had to adjust the hangers when I did my Mugen exhaust install, easy enough to do if you ever find that it needs adjustment.

Any idea on how much it weighs ? The smaller sized mufflers should offer some savings I would think.
How do you adjust hangers? I got excited and didn't weight them but it feels relatively light. The muffler sections are pretty light.

Here's another pic of car rolling.
Name:  3BEBFEF8-A378-4936-93FA-3F4F3DE49821_zpsmltpofst.jpg
Views: 5429
Size:  134.4 KB
Old 06-07-2015, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great and sounds great. Even better in person I am sure. Just picked up my car just over a week ago and it has the Remus exhaust on it sounds alright but the tip size is just to much. I think this HKS system will be in my future.

Side note, what coil overs are those? Tein I assume from the color but which set. My car also came with some springs that have probably been on long enough to ruin the stock shocks and I wanted Tein since I had super streets on my 89 civic hatch. But was not sure which model to go with. Mostly street driven, maybe some auto cross in the future.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review, and the exhaust looks pretty amazing on the S.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:51 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by nos4you
Originally Posted by Randizzle88' timestamp='1433662369' post='23639036
I have this exhaust. I like it alot. Wish it was a 70mm tho,
How long have you had it? Has it gotten louder over time? I wish it was just a tad louder.
Also what are you using it with? Cat/hfc/tp? I'm wondering how it will sound with a tp.

Originally Posted by diabloAP1
man, how to keep the car that clean? do you drive it in the river on the weekly basis? LOL
lol no river. Has a healthy coat of wax all the time so it always "looks" clean. Also helps it's not a dd.

Originally Posted by zeroptzero

How do you adjust hangers? I got excited and didn't weight them but it feels relatively light. The muffler sections are pretty light.

Here's another pic of car rolling.

If you find that you need to adjust the height of the exhaust tips, just take a set of vice-grips to the metal hangers and bend them up or down. There are hangers on the exhaust and on the body. To lower the height of the tips you can lower the body hangers downwards, or bend the exhaust hangers upwards. To raise the height you can raise the body hangers upwards, or pull the exhaust hangers downwards. I find bending the body hangers to be easier, but you can use either.

I think it looks great in that rolling pic
Old 06-07-2015, 10:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this exhaust sounds best with AP1 engine due to 9000 RPM. it creates a high pitch tone.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:40 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I love it! Good looking duals seem to be hard to find for AP2 rear if you ask me and this one is spot on. I'd rock it for sure.

That said, did you already sell your EVS single?
Old 06-07-2015, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Heikes
Looks great and sounds great. Even better in person I am sure. Just picked up my car just over a week ago and it has the Remus exhaust on it sounds alright but the tip size is just to much. I think this HKS system will be in my future.

Side note, what coil overs are those? Tein I assume from the color but which set. My car also came with some springs that have probably been on long enough to ruin the stock shocks and I wanted Tein since I had super streets on my 89 civic hatch. But was not sure which model to go with. Mostly street driven, maybe some auto cross in the future.
Tein SRC evasive specs which I'm happy with ride quality wise and performance wise.
Not the most comfortable ride but it's not the worst either. It's a good medium.

Originally Posted by jbee808
Thanks for the review, and the exhaust looks pretty amazing on the S.
Thanks and yw.

Originally Posted by //steve\\
I love it! Good looking duals seem to be hard to find for AP2 rear if you ask me and this one is spot on. I'd rock it for sure.

That said, did you already sell your EVS single?
Agreed. Even harder to find a good looking and sounding exhaust that doesn't drone!
I was really tempted to try the greddy se v2 but after having the first version I was scared.
Yes I sold the EVS locally. I really liked the sound of the EVS but the volume was a little too loud for me. But it is one of the quieter single 70's I've heard.
That's why I went to a 60mm as most 70's I've heard has just been too loud.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the tip zero. It's only off by about .25" so I'll just leave it alone.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:20 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

It looks great!

Quick Reply: HKS SSM - 1st impressions