S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Installed Tanabe Medalion Touring - have some concerns

Old 06-22-2021, 08:28 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
For the uk mod mod I used a sawzall to cut a slot half way through the uk bypass pipe. Then I bought stainless fender washers from Lowes. Used the ones with smallest hole available, 5/16" I believe. Washer OD matches uk mod bypass pipe OD, in my case 1.5". But you could use larger washer and grind to size.

Even if you find washer with OD that perfect matches your uk pipe OD, you still have to grind it to fit. Need to grind half the diameter of washer to match uk bypass ID. The washer OD ends up with a sort of keyhole shape.

The sawzall slot ends up being just smaller than washer thickness. So you have to hammer and large channel lock pliers force into place. That's a good thing, as it means it won't come loose, rattle, makes better seal, etc.

But you still need to use a hose clamp to hold in place, as once exhaust heats up washer can still fall out (don't ask me how I know!) If you need to remove one to try a different hole size, you can hammer the edge with a screwdriver to get it to slide out a little, then grab with vise grips and wiggle it out.

Once you're good with sound level, weld or jb weld in place.

Or just keep the hose clamp so you can retune for special occasions, etc. You'd want to add something to seal the slot along with the hose clamp for such long term use. Like maybe some
This has to be the most helpful post I've ever read on S2Ki !!

Thanks so much, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW I'm really bummed to hear this!
I recently purchased a GReddy Supreme SP exhaust and while the look, fitment, and deep throaty sound in between shifts and at VTEC sounds UHmazing the drone from like ~2K-4K is HORRIBLE (subjective).
For reference I had the prior version GReddy SP Elite exhaust on my RSX Type S and I freakin' loved it...made all the right sounds and no drone at all! Perhaps open top motoring would have a different effect?

In search for a better option and initial recommendations from your previous thread I hopped on the Tanabe Revel Medallion Touring which arrived today.
Based on your feedback I'm complementing not even opening it and returning (yep I'll have to eat the shipping cost).

Looks like back to stock for me...
Old 06-22-2021, 08:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zubster89
I recently purchased a GReddy Supreme SP exhaust and while the look, fitment, and deep throaty sound in between shifts and at VTEC sounds UHmazing the drone from like ~2K-4K is HORRIBLE (subjective).
For reference I had the prior version GReddy SP Elite exhaust on my RSX Type S and I freakin' loved it...made all the right sounds and no drone at all! Perhaps open top motoring would have a different effect?

In search for a better option and initial recommendations from your previous thread I hopped on the Tanabe Revel Medallion Touring which arrived today.
Based on your feedback I'm complementing not even opening it and returning (yep I'll have to eat the shipping cost).

That's a tough call. As you noted, loud is subjective. What I consider boomy and obnoxious might be just what you are looking for, who knows.

If you choose to install it post back with your impressions
Old 06-22-2021, 09:38 AM

Received 425 Likes on 320 Posts

You would likely like the Mugen exhaust.
The following 2 users liked this post by TsukubaCody:
Bri (11-03-2021), Feezy (01-07-2022)
Old 06-22-2021, 11:20 AM

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

After lots of reading and YT videos, I also settled on the Medalion. This is the first review I have seen that mentioned a drone at all. Perhaps there has been a design change, as someone else theorized.

Mine won't be here for a couple months, but now I'll be worried about it!
Old 06-22-2021, 04:52 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
You would likely like the Mugen exhaust.
That is just as or even more quiet than OEM, theses cars make greats noises with the right parts.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:43 PM

Received 425 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Hfreak
That is just as or even more quiet than OEM, theses cars make greats noises with the right parts.
A nice sound need not be loud and obnoxious.
The following users liked this post:
Feezy (01-07-2022)
Old 06-22-2021, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by zubster89

hey I would buy it off from you.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by MercGuy
This has to be the most helpful post I've ever read on S2Ki !!

Thanks so much, I'll let you know how it turns out.

hey so download a decibel sound app on your phone, and while you are in the “drone” rpm area let’s say in 4th gear, press the gas , see what the highest decibel reading you get. I have a hks 3 inch single and from 3k to 4K the drone is at 94 db. Which is loud!
Old 06-23-2021, 05:21 AM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I have similar results on my otherwise stock '04. Really loud at low rpms, great otherwise. My fit appears somewhat better than yours, but right side is off just a bit. I'm waiting to see if my wife can stand it long term. It does seem to have boosted power noticeably, which I did not expect. Highway noise is excellent, but I do a lot of low speed driving on backroads and low rpm resonance is borderline unacceptable. I listened to an older Tanabe system on an AP1 before purchasing, and did not hear any resonance at all. Has Revel changed things?
The following users liked this post:
MercGuy (06-23-2021)

Quick Reply: Installed Tanabe Medalion Touring - have some concerns