S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Installed Tanabe Medalion Touring - have some concerns

Old 06-23-2021, 05:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cycled through alot of different exhausts too, and finally settled on Tanabe. It was happy with the loudness and lack of highway drone. I was stock other than the exhaust. If this is too loud for you, I don't think your going to find anything quieter. Consider going back to stock.

Maybe try a stock intake if you have a CAI on. You'd be surprised how much that helps low end torque and quiets things down.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:36 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Does anyone have feedback on the HKS Exhaust Hi Power 409SS.

My '07 came with it and the K&N cold air intake. I like the sound, it's not obnoxious, not too loud and doesn't have the low RPM loud drone....at 3k to 5k cruising it's got a nice pleasing tone.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I, too, just last weekend installed the Revel Touring on my '04. I was waiting on it for months like a kid waiting for Christmas morning. And I, too, am dissatisfied with it so far. My fit is far better than yours (actually it looks so good that alone is almost reason to keep it), but it's super boomy right at 2K. When I first installed it I did a Berk HFC at the same time. The first time I started the car cold, it settled at the high RPM idle for warm-up right at the resonate frequency of the exhaust. Holy cow, I literally almost needed to exit the car or shut it off. I drove it for about 35 miles and have since removed the HFC, replacing it instead with the stock cat. That has made it somewhat more tolerable, but I agree that low-RPM boom is just annoying. I also agree that anywhere else in the rev range it's totally awesome. Steady-state cruise it's barely louder than stock. But put any load on the engine and it gets a little too boomy for my taste. I'm bummed because I also sampled other exhausts at C+C and the Medallion seemed the most civilized. Now I'm thinking about going to stock with the HFC--maybe that's just enough extra noise? I do think the stock car is just too quiet, like a sewing machine LOL! Fingers crossed that mileage will mellow the exhaust a touch. It still smells terrible after I drive so I know stuff is still burning off inside.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:10 AM

Just installed a Tanabe Medallion and I actually think it’s too quiet. Was hoping that the higher RPMs would be louder. Maybe I’ll add a high flow cat.

Also, based on my research, almost ALL exhausts have drone from 2-4k. There is NO exhaust that is louder and not have a drone. Drone comes with the game!
Old 06-23-2021, 08:24 AM

To me the high-RPM behavior is perfect because above about 6K the intake noise still wins out over the exhaust noise (at least inside the car). @Yeej's review is just proof-positive this is all so subjective LOL! I keep meaning to have my daughter rip by me in the car because I'm guessing from outside it sounds pretty glorious. My wife will hate it no matter what, though....
Old 06-23-2021, 08:30 AM

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

OP, if you think the medalion/medallion is too loud you will NOT have success with other exhausts unless you get your hands on a gernby or asm. The design has been bought out by a different company (maybe renegade?) and may have affected quality but my experience witht he medallion was that it was ever so slightly louder than the uk mod and by far quieter than any offerings from invidia, hks, and greddy.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:38 AM

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ex36
I, too, just last weekend installed the Revel Touring on my '04. I was waiting on it for months like a kid waiting for Christmas morning. And I, too, am dissatisfied with it so far. My fit is far better than yours (actually it looks so good that alone is almost reason to keep it), but it's super boomy right at 2K. When I first installed it I did a Berk HFC at the same time. The first time I started the car cold, it settled at the high RPM idle for warm-up right at the resonate frequency of the exhaust. Holy cow, I literally almost needed to exit the car or shut it off. I drove it for about 35 miles and have since removed the HFC, replacing it instead with the stock cat. That has made it somewhat more tolerable, but I agree that low-RPM boom is just annoying. I also agree that anywhere else in the rev range it's totally awesome. Steady-state cruise it's barely louder than stock. But put any load on the engine and it gets a little too boomy for my taste. I'm bummed because I also sampled other exhausts at C+C and the Medallion seemed the most civilized. Now I'm thinking about going to stock with the HFC--maybe that's just enough extra noise? I do think the stock car is just too quiet, like a sewing machine LOL! Fingers crossed that mileage will mellow the exhaust a touch. It still smells terrible after I drive so I know stuff is still burning off inside.
Have you tried with a stock sized///exhaust sized test pipe? that may help the exhaust flow more freely throughout the system.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:07 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ex36
This has been my experience EXACTLY. I didn't mention the 2K high idle boom for the sake of brevity, but holy cow is it there.

One other observation related to your comment about the stink as things are burning off inside. Many of the posts I read in the past about this exhaust mention white smoke as it is first run. I have never had a bit of smoke, white or otherwise. This is is one more piece of the puzzle that indicates something is different about these new exhausts compared to the old ones.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:50 AM

Received 1,344 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by Yeej
Just installed a Tanabe Medallion and I actually think it's too quiet. Was hoping that the higher RPMs would be louder. Maybe I'll add a high flow cat.

Also, based on my research, almost ALL exhausts have drone from 2-4k. There is NO exhaust that is louder and not have a drone. Drone comes with the game!
Is yoursan older, used one you picked up, or a new Revel branded version like they are talking about in this thread?
Old 06-23-2021, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Is yoursan older, used one you picked up, or a new Revel branded version like they are talking about in this thread?
Sorry, forgot to clarify. I bought mine used. It’s most likely an older model. And the drone at 2-4k can be slightly annoying but I’ve gotten used to it. It definitely could be a little louder up top. I’ve had my fair share of after market exhausts on different cars and the Tanabe is super quiet for an aftermarket exhaust.

Quick Reply: Installed Tanabe Medalion Touring - have some concerns