S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Interior leather recolour

Old 08-07-2020, 01:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Interior leather recolour

Hey guys, has anyone had their interior leathers dyed or re coloured to something different? I've seen a couple threads about touching up worn out bolsters with same colour etc but I'm talking about a full on colour swap.

A lot of people have purchased new interiors for alternative colours but I couldn't find anyone that has done a re-dye? Been looking at the process and they basically prep the leather, spray several layers of your desired colour, top coat to seal it and then it's done. Takes a few days for it to fully cure but it's a permanent colour change like factory supposedly.

The only reason I thought of this was because some interior colours such as tan is really hard to come across and expensive to buy. I really like the tan interior.

I have an imola orange S and one of the previous owners installed some white and orange veilside seats and interior bits which I don't really like. For me personally, black is very common, red and black is amazing but I think would clash with the imola orange as its 2 contrasting colours. The tan is different yet subtle enough to not clash, it's still sort of in a neutral colour pallete if that makes sense.

Here's a few pics of my interior and some tan interior I found online. What are your guys thoughts on this, has anyone else done it that can give me some advice?

Thanks.

Old 08-07-2020, 01:49 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a set of black Clazzio seat covers with beige centers and stitching for sale if you want a cleaner look fast and cheap.
Had these combined with the black leather + beige stitch shift boot and arm rest cover I bought on Ebay and looked great.

Otherwise I think I would just bite the bullet and buy a bunch of black interior bits from a breaker tbh.
Unless redying everything is a much cheaper option of course.

The following users liked this post:
Fozzy786 (08-07-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 02:04 PM

They look quite nice tbh but I prefer the look of the circle cutout in the headrest and the design on the current seats. My seats are in excellent condition too, its just the colour that I wasn't feeling too much. Thank you though and good luck with the sale.

I got a quote of £250 to re-dye the seats, door card inserts, shift boot and the centre console arm rest. And figured if no one else has tried it, I'll go ahead and give it a go and let people know how it went.

​​​​
Bubbels** (08-08-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 06:59 PM

Received 139 Likes on 114 Posts

I don't think anyone has tried this and it would be great to see how yours turns out.
Fozzy786 (08-07-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 10:55 PM

Guess I'll be experiment #001 then haha. I need to remove all the bits from my car and they will take it from me. He said as its only the 2 seats and small bits it should take about 3 days.

What do you guys think of the colour combo, will tan go well with the imola? I'm hoping it comes out like factory, that way people who want the alternative interior colours aren't limited to buying the parts and can just re-dye their existing oem leathers. We'll see how it goes. Will take a few weeks until I get the time to do it but will update this thread.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:37 AM

Received 188 Likes on 162 Posts

That custom two tone interior in the Imola Orange S2K looks great. Personally though I'd rather have replacement OEM leather seat covers if I had to replace mine. I'm so happy with my red interior AP1 though, so I'd never change it's colour
My quest right now is to ensure the interior looks as clean and new and possible. That means removing artificial shine caused by previous owners who had no clue how to maintain it and leaving a natural sheen. So far so good
Old 08-08-2020, 02:26 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Just remembered I saw this post a while ago on FB from deltalima-engineering, damaged 08-09 birch S2000 seats repaired and redyed