S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

K&N Filter or Performance Intake Kit?

Old 03-11-2008, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up K&N Filter or Performance Intake Kit?

I was thinking of replacing my OEM filter with one of these two:
K&N 57-3514
OR
K&N E-2435

What are the pro's and con's? And which one would be the most value for money, considering the filter is a lot cheaper than the intake kit, is it worth the difference?

Also does the K&N filter just replace the OEM one, i.e. just drops in, or is there more work required?

I did try searching and only found a few threads, nothing really covering the pro's, con's etc.

Another thing, is there a newer kit than the K&N 57-3514 or better kit by a different manufacturer?
Old 03-11-2008, 06:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a TON of discussions on intakes. The filter is, obviously just a replacement filter (with better airflow/less filtering).

As for value, that's subjective. Again, refer to the discussions on intakes and decide for yourself.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:31 AM

On the K&N filters and instakes'? I searched on the model numbers and only found about 10 results.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by xrapidx,Mar 11 2008, 06:06 AM
I was thinking of replacing my OEM filter with one of these two:
K&N 57-3514
OR
K&N E-2435

What are the pro's and con's? And which one would be the most value for money, considering the filter is a lot cheaper than the intake kit, is it worth the difference?

Also does the K&N filter just replace the OEM one, i.e. just drops in, or is there more work required?

I did try searching and only found a few threads, nothing really covering the pro's, con's etc.

Another thing, is there a newer kit than the K&N 57-3514 or better kit by a different manufacturer?
The K&N 57 series intake will give you a little more throttle reponse and more noise. I would use the AFE filter for a stock airbox drop in replacement. Comptec makes the "ice box" intake, but comes with a foam unifilter. And all of these "high flow" filters trade off filtering for more air flow. And thats another subject.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:38 AM

I have the Intake kit on mine and love it. Easy install too.
I took the best online price I could find to advance auto and they matched it. I think I paid $240 for it. It's worth every penny IMO... My 2 cents.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by oakfloor,Mar 11 2008, 09:07 AM
The K&N 57 series intake will give you a little more throttle reponse and more noise. I would use the AFE filter for a stock airbox drop in replacement. Comptec makes the "ice box" intake, but comes with a foam unifilter. And all of these "high flow" filters trade off filtering for more air flow. And thats another subject.
Have any links to the trade-offs? Is it on engine wear?
Old 03-12-2008, 08:39 AM

i think the trade off of the filters is one will provide better airflow but with less filtering sooo less filtering meaning more debri and crap will get into your engine...making it not last as long?
Old 03-12-2008, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Timphan84,Mar 12 2008, 08:39 AM
i think the trade off of the filters is one will provide better airflow but with less filtering sooo less filtering meaning more debri and crap will get into your engine...making it not last as long?
Most all of the high flow air filters will pass small, very small particals. K&N has stated that there filters are 99% effective. And what ever gets in the engine is too small to show any noticable engine ware. There has been a few threads here, and at bobistheoilguy's web site on this subject. I have read about cars that have gone 200 or 300K miles and never had a problem. K&N type filters have been around for many years. IMO its a good idea to change oil sooner, say 5k OCIs when running these filters, and keep them cleaned and properly oiled. And I see no problems. Anyway there is info on this so do your own research and decide.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:27 AM

I agree with oakfloor! I put the k&n filter on. the stock air box is a great design. Just needs more air. You must clean it properly but has better flow than a stock filter even when dirty. Never over oil. a little goes along way. I have always used k&n's on all my vehicles and loved the results. Cost effectiveness too. I picked up better idle, throttle responce and mid-range pull. better fuel eco when out of vtec as well. Anything is better than that paper crap!
Old 03-13-2008, 10:33 AM

Is it necessary to reset the ECU when you use the K&N replacement filter
Thanks

Quick Reply: K&N Filter or Performance Intake Kit?