S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

LED in high beam & DRL?!?!?!

Old 03-04-2016, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LED in high beam & DRL?!?!?!

hi everyone, i'm trying to replace the stock H1 bulb in our high beam / DRL, to LED to get rid of that ugly halogen bulb.

i'm aware that if you use LED, u will only get DRL lights function and lose high beam. so i'm planning to buy a load resistor hoping to solve the issue (much like the hyper blinking issue if you replace turn signals with LED). however i'm stuck on the wiring....the H1 bulb is 1 tab only, which then connects to our headlight socket that is 3 tab. looking at this "H1 LED load resistor", how does one connect the wiring????

pls help
Old 03-05-2016, 03:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can pull this off and retain full functionality of the DRL and the high beam it would be awesome! I agree the yellow halogen looks ugly on our cars. I've read somewhere that the low voltage of the DRL will burn out an HID setup. I could be wrong. Anyway, Goodluck on getting an LED to work. I hope you figure it out
Old 03-05-2016, 07:57 PM

sadly i'm fairly new to electrical stuff, so i can hoping any experts can chime in and let me know how does this wiring would work.

if i can get this working, i would love to share this with everyone since putting LED in our DRL is a fairly common topic but with no success....
Old 03-06-2016, 05:52 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Cosmetics again? (More "Barbie for Boys" this time with cars?)

What's ugly about the high beam/DRL bulb again? Any number of white temperature (wave length) H1 bulbs will fit there if you can find someone with small enough hands to do the installation.

The ideal temperature -- under the rash assumption you want the high beams to illuminate the road -- is no more than the 5000K range. Higher (whiter) light is not as visible as lower. Yellow fog lights were standard for decades (heck French highlights were yellow for decades) and provided excellent visibility. Our eyes can see the yellow wave lengths better as they use a combination of receptors in the eye. But this is all about visible light, not looking kool.

The current LED headlight bulbs put out bright light but the diode placements are spotty and light projection is also spotty. Halogen filament bulbs have a more even coverage and dispersion. Speciality LED headlight assemblies may minimize this but just slapping LEDs in stock housings produces less than ideal coverage and distance (if the color is too white).

-- Chuck
Old 03-06-2016, 07:06 PM

yes some of us do like to personalize our cars... lol @ your "more barbie for boys" comment in a s2000 forum full of aftermarket wheels, aero, and many other mods.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:11 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Try talking to euroboutique. They do lots of custom headlight stuff and may be able to help you out
Old 03-23-2016, 06:44 AM
Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

If you explain your situation we might be able to help!

Why are you using a load resistor - we do not understand your reasoning....

The LED DRL function can be done with a LED bulb, however it's from our experience certain cheap brands will melt so be warned. The high beam circuit is different path so you would need to isolate each circuit so one does not affect the other one. We have told our customers basically pick one or the other, can't have both easily without doing custom wiring.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@euroboutique/videos
Follow-Us Instagram/Facebook: https://www.instagram.com/euroboutique/

Old 03-23-2016, 06:46 AM
Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Our LED DRL solution is separate from high beam - other options include AUX bulbs such as the Porsche 4-dot version or the halo version.

Name:  IMG_1855_zps6797b7f5.jpg
Views: 3008
Size:  70.4 KB

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@euroboutique/videos
Follow-Us Instagram/Facebook: https://www.instagram.com/euroboutique/

Old 03-24-2016, 08:17 PM

thx for the reply, i'm just want to put LED bulbs in the highbeam so they will remain on for DRL and also at night when high beam. i'm told that if you put LED in the DRL, it will flicker because in DRL more there is lower voltage, and in high beam mode there is a higher voltage (since it was intended for halogen bulb). doesn't putting the load resister will remove the flicker and provide a constent voltage for the LED to be "on" in DRL and high beam mode?

thanks!
Old 03-25-2016, 06:46 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Are LEDs dim-able? That's all the DRLs are on my '06, just dimmed high beams.

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: LED in high beam & DRL?!?!?!