S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Looking for brake pad recommendations

Old 01-16-2020, 07:16 AM

Received 1,282 Likes on 963 Posts

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire
Are’nt AP1pad,discontinued???
They may have been replaced with the Civic Si PN.

Really any "decent" ceramic pad described to have "performance" characteristics will work too. The OEM pads are probably the best you can get for the price.

Or maybe Akebono or EBC redstuff or some other pad with depressing performance for the sake of low dust.

Can't you people just not look at your wheels? They're the 2nd closest thing on the car to the ground. I can't figure out this "low dust" thing that so many people lust after.

Old 01-16-2020, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you're looking for big initial bite, but i love the Hawk HPS pads. I used them on both street and track. Great performance and not too much noise.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:22 AM

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm pretty happy with my Winmax w3 perfect for the street its not bad when it comes to dust. I would go W5's if you wanted to do a full track duty mostly a track car. I did 1 event on the w3 they held up fine; didn't even wear them much.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:29 PM

Received 419 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
They may have been replaced with the Civic Si PN.

Really any "decent" ceramic pad described to have "performance" characteristics will work too. The OEM pads are probably the best you can get for the price.

Or maybe Akebono or EBC redstuff or some other pad with depressing performance for the sake of low dust.

Can't you people just not look at your wheels? They're the 2nd closest thing on the car to the ground. I can't figure out this "low dust" thing that so many people lust after.
Even no or low dust still gets dirty, these are old cars, it makes no sense to treat them like show cars. Drive them, enjoy them, if they break, fix them and keep driving them. It's not like they're unreliable cars.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:28 PM

Received 3,415 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Carbotech's street pad hits all of the bases you noted, I ran them for years with great results. Great street pad, that can take light track duty if needed. No compromises that I could ever find with these pads.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the project mu 800s fit the bill. I run them on one my S2000s and they've impressed me with their performance. Good bite, relatively low dust and only an occasional squeal.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:24 AM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Pmu 800 of Winmax w3

Old 01-20-2020, 08:42 AM

Received 568 Likes on 398 Posts

Raybestos ST42 (slightly less aggressive than the ST43) - bite and heat capacity are very good. Rotor wear is excellent too, lots of dust and some noise (requires proper bedding to minimize squealing).
Old 01-20-2020, 10:44 AM
Community Organizer

Received 552 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by spaded.racer
a little is an understatement.
I was just going to say

Hands down these are the best option if you A don't mind wearing ear plugs and don't care about drawing attention to yourself with every approaching stoplight, and B. don't care about completely douching the side of your car and interior (if top down driver) and don't care about your lungs. and C rotor life will diminish drastically, like crazy drastically.

Once upon a time I thought id give these a go for a pad I could run on the street and track, and then soon realized they were good for neither. You cannot beat the cold bite/nice feel of these pads though.

These days I run Stoptech sport pads. Still waiting to find the magic pad that bites like the HP+ without any of the noise or dust. So far i've gathered they don't exist.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:47 PM

Received 1,282 Likes on 963 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
I was just going to say

Hands down these are the best option if you A don't mind wearing ear plugs and don't care about drawing attention to yourself with every approaching stoplight, and B. don't care about completely douching the side of your car and interior (if top down driver) and don't care about your lungs. and C rotor life will diminish drastically, like crazy drastically.

Once upon a time I thought id give these a go for a pad I could run on the street and track, and then soon realized they were good for neither. You cannot beat the cold bite/nice feel of these pads though.

These days I run Stoptech sport pads. Still waiting to find the magic pad that bites like the HP+ without any of the noise or dust. So far i've gathered they don't exist.
On iron rotors, a pad with low/no dust and good performance characteristics doesn't exist.

The HP+ is loud-ish, in the grand scheme of things. Its not ear bleeding when un-bedded like a track pad is.

Stoptech 309's are almost dead quiet, I'll admit. So are PMU HC800+ or whatever. But neither have much cold bite. They don't come alive until you heat them up.

Honestly, if you don't need a pad that can stand up to track laps...then a good semi-metallic retail grade or OEM grade pad is what you should be looking for instead of a pad with massive fade resistance that you'll never use.

Quick Reply: Looking for brake pad recommendations