S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Lowering springs on OEM shocks

Old 07-21-2009, 04:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Lowering springs on OEM shocks

Hey guys, I searched around and most threads are either dead or really old, I'm looking for someone to just give me a bit of quick insight.

I'm looking to get some TEIN lowering springs, maybe a 1"-1.5" drop and I'm hearing horror stories about running springs on OEM shocks. Other people state that the stock shocks are really good and can handle it. Is it okay to use stiffer springs on the OEM shock? Also, what else is required to get an optimal ride? (example: alignment)

TIA
Old 07-21-2009, 04:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Stock shocks are fine.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running Tanabe GF210 springs on my Stock AP1 shocks and I've had this setup for about three years now with no issues, no leaking, or bottoming out. Lowering springs will eventually wear your shocks out faster than OEM springs.

Whenever changing out suspension components (specifically springs/shocks) is an alignment is a must. When I installed my lowering springs, my aligment was all out of whack and the car was very unstable. After the alignment, the car handles awesome. I went with UK/EDM alignment specs, main difference that I can recall is that you're rear camber is -1.5-2.0.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:35 AM

Just so you know I had that setup and stock spring rates felt better than the Teins. Tein S-Tech is good if you want a smooth ride though
Old 07-21-2009, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Almostlude,Jul 21 2009, 06:12 AM
I am running Tanabe GF210 springs on my Stock AP1 shocks and I've had this setup for about three years now with no issues, no leaking, or bottoming out. Lowering springs will eventually wear your shocks out faster than OEM springs.

Whenever changing out suspension components (specifically springs/shocks) is an alignment is a must. When I installed my lowering springs, my aligment was all out of whack and the car was very unstable. After the alignment, the car handles awesome. I went with UK/EDM alignment specs, main difference that I can recall is that you're rear camber is -1.5-2.0.
I have the Tanabe GF210's as well no issues at all just make sure you get an alignment.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:41 PM

i had springs on mine it felt fine.......
Old 07-21-2009, 01:45 PM

Cool, thanks for the info guys. Anything else I would need besides an alignment? Also, who can recommend me really good springs other than TIEN's? I heard Espelir's are awesome.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric220,Jul 21 2009, 01:45 PM
Cool, thanks for the info guys. Anything else I would need besides an alignment? Also, who can recommend me really good springs other than TIEN's? I heard Espelir's are awesome.
not sure if you notice this but most of the lowering springs out there has a higher spring rate in the back, which suit the ap1 suspension fine but your 07 have different biased in term of springrate, damper rate and roll bar size.

do your own research on it, sadly most people think if it fit it must be designed to work.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:21 AM

Some recommendations for you to look at compared against the Tein S-Techs....

Eibach Pro Kit
H&R Sports
Esplier ASD
Tanabe GF210
Skunk2 Race

When I was doing my research the factors that I considered were....
I needed something streetable, not to low of a drop, more resonable spring rates, price, and quality.

I picked the GF210 because they have the most balanced spring rates compared to stock. Even though the GF's were stiffer it was only by about 10-20% stiffer so I was able to retain all the ride characteristics of the OEM setup but with a lower stance and a bit more firmness. In all honesty, now I'm planning on going with some coilovers but for the four years that I had the lowering springs, they served their purpose.

I'll probably be selling my Tanabe GF210 w/ OEM shocks (the shocks have 40k miles on them but they were dropped back when the milage was 25k. I'm hoping to get $200 for the setup, if anyone is interested, having a buyer of my old suspension setup would greatly help me finance my new coilovers.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:44 AM

What are the spring rates for the tanabe GF210, i might be interested

Quick Reply: Lowering springs on OEM shocks