S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Moddiction/International grinding short shifter!

Old 04-19-2010, 02:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs down Moddiction/International grinding short shifter!

All Pre-orders have now been shipped out!!

The price on the short shifter is $319.99

If you are ordering a shifter extender along with the short shifter that will be $5 off the regular price as well.

I would like to offer another short shifter option that compliments the Moddiction weighted shift knob to the S2000 community:

These are now IN STOCK ready to ship. Very limited supply!!

Installation instructions have been completed and added to moddiction.com

To view instructions click link below and click on installation file for short shifter.

https://www.moddiction.com/Installat...struction.html

Shown below with optional 2.5: shifter extender.

Stock compared to Moddiction/I.G.short shifter

Here are some gifs to show the difference in shifting travel between the oem shifter and this shifter and then also with the shifter extender installed.

This one shows that the extender and SS combo has the same throw as OEM just a lot closer to the steering wheel.

Here are some reviews from the testing so far:

Info on first test cars.

UPDATE:
Installed 2 prototypes yesterday. I asked them to drive around for a couple of days, we should be getting some reviews tomorrow.

Test cars:
2003 AP1 with ~40k miles, all stock except for an ACT clutch setup and wheels.

2008 CR with ~ 16k miles, wheels and exhaust.

2007 AP2 with ~ 60k hard miles, stock clutch, 4.44 gears,wheels, and exhaust.

The prototypes are a little different from each other. One has a bit softer urethane and less of a bend (similar to OEM) and the other has a stiffer urethane with a more aggressive bend towards the driver and steering wheel.

Pics to come!

OFFICIAL REVIEW OF THE SHIFTER:

I have owned my S2000 (MY03) for 7 years and have logged 43,000 wonderful miles on it. I was recently given the opportunity to test the International Grind Short Shift Kit on my car. It may be important to first state that I have upgraded my clutch with the ACT pressure plate. I used a variety of counter-sunk shift knobs of varying weight during my test. I have no other significant modifications affecting the results of my test.

Installing the Shifter took less than 10 minutes. Paul at International Grind explained the physics behind his design, basically raising the fulcrum to minimize travel at the top. His design offered other improvements over the OEM unit, but I’ll let him decide if he wants to let out his trade secrets. Suffice to say I was impressed with the quality of his work and couldn’t wait to get on the road.

Shifting into first produced a gratifying, “CLICK” and the “throw” felt about half as long as I was used to. I eased onto the road and ran the tach up to around 7,000 rpm, stomped on the clutch and yanked back into second gear. What struck me was how INTENTIONAL the shift was. Let me explain: shifts with the OEM shifter (and this is admittedly nit-picking) feel the slightest bit lazy or indirect, as if there is a threshold of movement within which you’ll find a gear. If you pull your hand backwards (from 1st to 2nd gear) the OEM shifter will move a bit left and right, but still settle into 2nd gear without too much fuss. With International Grind’s shifter, the travel is not only shorter, but the shifter sinks into the next gear as if self-guided. There is ABSOLUTELY no wasted movement. It made me smile, I have to admit.

I blasted around on surface streets, eventually finding my way onto the highway. There was no additional noise from the shifter in any gear, at any RPM, and I was careful to monitor my clutch pedal to avoid grinding gears. Each shift clicked definitively and securely where it was supposed to go. The only time I got nervous was on a deserted on-ramp when, after running 4th gear almost to the end, I whispered a silent prayer that 5th gear would follow…and not 3rd. There isn’t much room for error, and, after about 45 minutes of driving, I was shifting quicker and quicker at that point.

Paul also lent me a 2.5 inch riser that threads into the top of the shifter. The install takes about 15 seconds and the additional height (designed primarily for track usage) raises the height of the shifter and elongates the throws closer to OEM length. The improved quality and direction of the shifts remain. The shift knob sits much closer to your 10-and-2 (well, the “2” hand, anyway) and, honestly, it’s unbelievably smooth. I can’t put my finger on exactly why it so greatly improved the driving dynamic, but suddenly I was ITCHING to row the gears. Would I sound too much like a late-night infomercial if I bragged about the additional length giving me increased confidence? ‘Cause it did.

I noticed and increased rattling noise with the riser, specifically above 4,000 RPM. It was hard to distinguish with the top and windows down. Louder with the windows up. Loudest with the top and windows up. It seemed at it's worst when, above 4,000 RPM, I let off the gas and let the car coast. Paul is looking into the cause of the rattling noise. But again, this occurred only with the riser. There was no increased noise without it.

I know I have to give back the shifter tomorrow, and honestly I’m not looking forward to going back to stock. I’d probably keep the riser stored in the cup holder for a quick red-light change-over. It’s rare to find a mod that is this easy to install and so quickly alters your driving dynamic, but Paul and International Grind have designed a high-quality Short Shift Kit that offers a simple, safe, and definitive change to your street or track driving.

A few pics:

International Grind Short Shifter installed

With 2.5" riser

With 2.5" riser and Moddiction shift knob

Another review from a 2nd tester.

thumbsup.gif I'm keeping it!

I'm just giving my first reaction while its fresh. I can elaborate my first impression and daily reactions at a later date.

I will say this is a positive feeling shifter. What I claim to be positive is the natural and direct path of the shifter. Going up and down my local canyon to and from work is a fair environment to test many products. Although this product will not make your car faster, it will raise your confidence level thanks to the closer connection between driver and machine. As good as an aftermarket steering wheel or seat provides.

I'm testing the more aggressive shifter plus the extension atop plus a Moddiction knob.

I'm going to test it without the extension tomorrow to compare.

ANOTHER

From the moment you see the craftsmanship in your hand you know that there was alot of R&D for this shifter.
I was given the honor to test out this shifter as a daily driver and let me tell you this totally completes the car driver feel heart.gif .
No more play in the shifter; you can shift into each gear with confidence.
Makes driving around town that much more enjoyable.
Thanks,
IG

Moddiction/International Grinding short shifter benefits:
- 303 stainless or better material machined to aerospace tolerances
- all sphericals precision ground to a 16 micro finish for smooth movement and least friction
- Maintains the OEM "lean" towards driver (LHD, for now) for a reduce gap between steering wheel and shifter for faster shifting.
- 100% made in USA
- Serviceable (it can be taking apart to be repaired if ever needed)
- Lifetime warranty to original owner.
- Perfect fitment, absolutely no modification necessary
- Easy 15-30 min install
- Isolated from any resonance or vibration noises, similar to Honda's design, but with a stiffer insulator for a more direct feel.
- better finishes than any other shifter on the market.
- built without any compromises.
- Track and "daily driver" tested by S2000 owners

***Depending on quantity made, pricing will be between $275-$310 each. Of course with a better Introduction Group Buy price.

Couple prototype pictures to show some progress on this!!

Interest list:

1. NoBottleJustThrottle
2. S2K Medic
3. prancer
4. Sarek
5. mister x
6. CharlesAP2K
7. AP2uner
8. irv_usc
9. buggy1129
10. rosscoe21
11. M Theory
12. 2004Hs2k
13. Munnerlyn
14. ans2k
15. 06S2k07Si
16. Jeff456
17. teanza
18. Blue_AP2
19. camuman
20. mathiss2k
21. JDMkai1224
22. chef-j
23. trebor8915
24. aCab
25. nak205
26. Sakai
27. HLN A55
28. young buck
29. nak205
30. pakman08
31. lylballero8o
32. MurderS2K
33. S2SmuySlow
34. Gilly_S2KFreak
35. orangebarius
36. Soul Coughing
37. JoeyBalls
38. shur
39. blueducatikidd
40. BBS2KLyN
41. appeartobelosing
42. yupyup
43. oastjc
44. s20009k
45. DTP525
46. rugsr
47. herrjr
48. toyrunner
49. fastD
50. J-GO
51. llckll
52. Booztin
53. MikeyCB
54. ima5exyindo
55. airborne.s2000
56. Vik2000
57. inmys2k
58. ManiacManny
59. unison21
60. s2kpwned
61. Tengoku
62. Tenkies
63. Siccished
64. hondaguys2k
65. TreyDM
Old 04-19-2010, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have me sold. The price is a bit much, but that is me coming from FWD Honda's, and Acura's where you can add just a little $40 adapter piece. I know its a different story here. Sounds like a great product though. Can't wait to see some images!
Old 04-19-2010, 03:39 PM

Im in! Pic...
Old 04-19-2010, 03:58 PM

I would have been interested--just bought a short shifter from Axial today.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:05 PM

You wont' be selling any at that price.
Axial Flow is about $250, been making these and improved since 01.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Well this is a different design compared to that short shifter. Depends on what you looking for really. Once they are all tested and completed final pricing will be available as well as an introductory Group Buy price.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Civicvtec1ps,Apr 19 2010, 05:05 PM
You wont' be selling any at that price.
Axial Flow is about $250, been making these and improved since 01.
I've owned the AF SS, great shift feel! But I sold it because of the noise it makes. I've been following Richard Paul's thread. The only improvement it needs is to rid itself of the noise/vibration which they haven't done yet since 2001. IMHO it's an inherent flaw of the one piece billet design (at least in our cars ). Axial Flow SS is very well made.

From what I can see, it seems that the fulcrum is still in the same spot as OEM, just lowered in height. Billman also noticed the same. This was just eyeballing before I installed it. I never took it apart to really look.

It was VERY noisy, unlike the Spoon, OEM, or C's which are insulated with rubber or other dampening material. And this one boasts that too.

EDIT: I do have to say that AF's customer service is awesome. When I bought my SS used, Richard Paul still updated me with the latest plunger, rubber, 'improvements" without charge. for follow through... unfortunately, it didn't help much with the problem/noise with my setup.

Edit 2: (in response to Richard Pauls post) I only believe the fulcrum was not raised from eyeballing side by side with the OEM. I didn't take it apart. It functioned as described with the ONLY flaw of the vibration noise. Still a great product if you don't have/mind the vibration resonance.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

All solid billet shifters will "buzz" and playing with different knob weights just change the RPM at which it occurs (I have the AF and 10 different knobs). The insulator moddiction is talking about is the only real solution. Price isn't cheap but seems fair.

BTW, my OEM shifter leans to the right, not to the driver. ????
Old 04-19-2010, 05:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would be interested. I have your knob, and love it. If the short shifter would be as high quality as you say it will, count me in!
Old 04-19-2010, 06:21 PM

[QUOTE=mister x,Apr 19 2010, 06:05 PM]All solid billet shifters will "buzz" and playing with different knob weights just change the RPM at which it occurs (I have the AF and 10 different knobs).

Quick Reply: Moddiction/International grinding short shifter!