S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Mugen Hardtop

Old 10-15-2012, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by john82389
Forbidden Replica Hardtop

this is the first time ive heard of someone being dis-satisfied with their top...you sure you greased the seals and installed it correctly? just asking because im actually currently saving to purchase one of these tops
Old 10-15-2012, 03:22 PM

I used the seal he ave me which is te reason for some the noise. I need a larger seal..
Old 10-15-2012, 07:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

i have a forbidden top, never had problems with it. had a defect when i first got it, but it was paid for by the alberto so that didn't cost me a cent
Old 10-26-2012, 03:42 PM

The CF HT I received from Rockstar Garage a few weeks ago took a month and a half. It was supposed to take 12-15 days max. He had personal reasons, so I could put up. So I guess I placed the order at the wrong time. *Wish I was informed.

Service? It was quite difficult to get in touch with him. It got to an email every other week when I asked where the package was. When it did arrive, it came in a Floppy Box, spray-painted 'fragile' on the front with a 1mm thin foam sheet taped on the roof. I was surprised that when I opened it up it wasn't broken in 2.

The quality of the CF HT surprisingly seemed great at first glance. When looked at up closely you could see cracks around the inside of the rear window opening. When you lifted the ht you could hear the chips moving around the inside of the roof. Also where the drivers & passengers window opening edges are-there is just resin where it should be carbon fiber. Almost like they couldn't push the cf in the mold deep enough.

For the amount of TIME and MONEY I gave for this item, I was so disappointed. I'm very cautious with all my purchases now.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:19 PM

Umm which was it, a rockstar or forbidden hardtop?
Old 10-26-2012, 05:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BLacK FirE
In theory it shouldn't make much of a difference. They apparently both get their tops from extreme dimensions. I bought one from rockstar and have basically the same issues as the op. Though I finally just got it wrapped and installed.

The top isn't weathertight with the seals it comes with. I have two areas up by where the windshield meets the hardtop corners and side windows that doesn't have enough seal between the side windows and the A-pillar. Though its positioned in such a way that rain shouldn't be able to get in. The other area(s) are just behind each side window where the hardtop comes down to meet the side molding on the car. The rear seal wasn't long enough so this area just under the corners of the hardtop have about an inch on each side that have a nice opening between the hardtop and the car.

All that being said, its only been on the car for 2 days and I do need to re-adjust it. Tomorrow I'll be trying to find myself some grease and better seals from home depot.

Being honest, I'm not happy with my purchase. I read through all the reviews and didn't come across anything but praise for good fitment and few problems. I would've just replaced the soft top if I knew this would be so unsatisfying. With hope, I can make it weathertight with some good seals that will stay in place and my passenger window will stop hitting the top when the doors opened after I adjust it.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 4wheelsoffury
Originally Posted by BLacK FirE' timestamp='1351297158' post='22111460
In theory it shouldn't make much of a difference. They apparently both get their tops from extreme dimensions.
Got a source for that claim? Interested because I have a FRP Forbidden with carbon sides and am happy as f@#k with it.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:13 PM

I've had a few issues dealing with both companies... may or may not post a review later explaining the whole debacle.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:38 PM

Received 3,391 Likes on 2,462 Posts

I just received my Mugen carbon fiber hardtop, I bought it used from a local member. I am blown away with the quality of this part, I went from an OEM Honda hardtop to the Mugen and I actually thing the Mugen is a better fit. I know these hardtops are very expensive and many would say they are over-priced, but the quality of the part is exceptional, great fitment and the OEM Honda latches, catchers, and seals are a nice touch. Swapping it from the donor car to my car for the trip home resulted in a good fitment right off the bat , very quiet and weathertight (drove home in a big rainstorm) and that was before I could even do a full fitment adjustment.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:58 PM

Post here if you find yourself a good grease/seal from home depot.

Quick Reply: Mugen Hardtop