S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

My MODS actually work!

Old 11-25-2007, 08:40 AM

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts
Default My MODS actually work!

this is a question and street encounter all rolled into one..

OK guys! my buddy and i both bought our 05 silverstone s2000's back in June within 2 days of each other.. we go way back so we always wanted something equal to play with and go cruising cuz i had a 1996 Eagle talon Awd Turbo heavily modded and he had a 2001 eclipse gs Spyder... no comparison hahah..

Anyways... so we go out and get our cars... FIRST thing we do is race each other and i mean we have both been racing for awhile so were not new to it... although i have to admit it was a lil tricky to get used to the s2000. We did alot of highway pulls, high end, low end and were both were ALWAYS equal. i mean it came down to reaction time.. thats how close we were to each other.. kinda fustrating hahaha..

Over the course of the months... i have been modding my car. First i had put a new stereo with a 12 inch Sub AND the box in the back.. added weight...THEN i got the FIPK K&N Intake... made a lil growl. Then i got the oem front lip, the oem wing spoiler and carbon fiber tailpipe cover thingys'. Then a billet aluminium grill.. *looks like an intercooler by the way* haha... THEN i bought the HKS HI power exhaust, Megan resonated test pipe, and before that, i put on 18x8 and 18x9 Tork Imagine rims!!!!!

So i got some heavy stuff and some goodies..

Last night we must of did about 10 pulls...ALL from a dig. Now.. before like i said.. from a dig or on the highway... we were equal.. Well last night ladies and gentlemen..
I PULLED EVERY SINGLE TIME. i mean i think around the 5th time we raced, my tires were spinning so much and he kinda got close to my right bumper and held it there until i hit 4th then i let go cuz i couldnt see hahaha since it was 12 midnight..

The PROBLEM i'm having now is, when i slam into 2nd, I'm spinning and wheel hopping like nobody's business..... and i'm chirping into 3rd.. I HAVE BRAND NEW HANCOOK VENTURA TIRES!!! i mean these are great grippy tires but do you guys think that the TORQUE Dampener will help me? cuz i need something.. Because if i had more traction from a dig AND when i hit second, i can pull harder but my car just goes sideways into second and third!

I just got my new ACT clutch street disk put in too.!! and NOT ONE TIME did it fade from all the racing!!! LOVE THIS CLUTCH!

So in conclusion.... i have heavy stuff on my car now.. BUT with the mods that i have, it seems to have made up the difference and then some. My headers are on the way weds and i'mma put those on and see whats up. Maybe get a VAFCII and tune.. neo maybe? is that good? Anyways..

HELP GUYS!
Old 11-25-2007, 09:12 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know if your mods made you actually any faster.

New tires are slippery. They take ~500 miles to wear off the "mold release" from the manufacturer. Your friend probably wasn't launching at high enough rpms to keep it in the powerband. With your decreased traction, you slipped your way up to the meat of your powerband.

Especially from a dig. Your lack of traction is similar to someone else having gears... you get to VTEC much quicker.

When you had your ACT setup installed... did they remove your clutch delay valve?

That in and of itself would cause the difference you experienced (and the increased tire slip).

Your friend won't be able to launch high with that sucker in.

So you're thinking your car is making more power, but really you're getting it to the ground better... and would still get smoked by someone with gears as their only mod (providing they removed the CDV and had appropriate tires).

For example, I'm putting down significantly more power (7psi CTSC) than you and have the ACT setup. Shifting at redline between 1st and 2nd gear spins for just a fraction of a second on S02s.

If you're spinning and spinning while NA, it's your lack of traction rather than your overwhelming power that's causing that. And slipping more than 10-15% is actually wasted forward momentum. It's not fast.

We spin off the line to get into the powerband. You don't want a lot of spin in between shifts.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:16 AM
Former Moderator

Rather than continuing to spend money on mods that make you think you're faster, why don't you get some objective testing.

And I'm not talking dyno-queen.

If all you're testing is straight-line. Test it at your local 1/4 mile strip.

Or get a BelTronics Accelerometer:

Use it to test your skills in the 0-60mph. You can even do this without breaking any laws. I can tell you that getting the right amount of slip on a launch takes practice. And having a clutch-delay-AP2 valve will make that nearly impossible.

That's another benefit of the Racelogic Traction Control. It keeps you at the perfect slip percent when launching. The 10-sec Supra vid on their website uses it in a quite impressive way.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:18 AM
Former Moderator

Oh, and if you don't believe me about slippery tires and launching...

I clocked a 4.7 sec 0-60 time on snow tires before upgrading the SC pulley.

And I don't think there's such a thing as a HANKOOK VENTURA tire.

There's the HANKOOK VENTUS and the GOODYEAR VENTURA.

If you have the VENTUS, be careful. Especially with the Sport K104s. They have a nasty reputation of popping sidewalls while heavy cornering.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:22 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by S2KSandy,Nov 25 2007, 09:40 AM
Last night we must of did about 10 pulls...ALL from a dig.

I PULLED EVERY SINGLE TIME.
And if you want to know how big a difference the slipping tire launch made over removing the CDV... race from a roll.

Bet it'll be a lot closer.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:13 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

pwnd in 4 replies!

Like CKit said, do a roll race and see how you match up... you might be surprised
Old 11-25-2007, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

maybe your buddy gained weight, or has not been maintaining his vehicle as well as he should
Old 11-25-2007, 12:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KSandy,Nov 25 2007, 09:40 AM
this is a question and street encounter all rolled into one..
Wow, you had two possible choices for a correct forum (Street Encounters and Mods) and you didn't put it into either one. I'm impressed with your obliviousness.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:58 PM

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

well first... the clutch delay valve has been removed out of both of our cars.

second, i dont spin off of launch, i spin when i hit second gear.

and 3rd, we finally got to play today ...

we did 5 runs..

2 from 20------I WALKED easily

2 from 45------I WALKED easily

1 from 65------same as the above

So i KNOW it made a difference. Your trying to make excuses and disprove me by telling me i won because i lost traction??

I lost traction when i hit second and 3rd at which point i saw him come up a lil since he wasnt spinning like i was but i pulled again every time.

I drove his car and he drove mine and he even told me my car definately felt faster and his car does feel slower than mine... but because i have an intake, i have that split lag in the beginning...

BUT the question i have is.... Does a torque dampener help with wheel hop?

and if still.... I have 18's, sub in the trunk? added weight and he's still bone stock. and he takes care of his car like he should

i also found when i feather the clutch out, at a lower RPM, i have traction and dont bog while not spinning VS...trying yalls 6 grand dump.. which i think is Very wrong specially for the rear. when i did the 6 grand dump a couple times... he beat me when we were both stock. cuz i was spinning like crazy and he already took off...
Old 11-25-2007, 01:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KSandy,Nov 25 2007, 12:40 PM
My headers are on the way weds and i'mma put those on and see whats up.
.....Header

It's the only thing CKit left out.
Oh and a title edit: My MODS actually works! -> My MODS actually work!

I think what everyone is trying to say is, your butt dyno and the truth are two different things.

There are too many variables in your extensive list of mods and stories. Go hit a dyno and see who makes more power -

Or

swap cars - let him drive yours and vice versa - a driver can make all the difference in the world.

Quick Reply: My MODS actually work!