S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

New Steering wheel install - NOT centered!

Old 02-24-2018, 02:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New Steering wheel install - NOT centered!

So I installed a new steering wheel on my S. My car had a perfect alignment done about a month ago (below). My original steering wheel was perfectly centered (so don't think it is a tire pressure issue either). I used a steering wheel puller and marked the center point position on the rack.

When I installed it the first time and took it out on the road for a test drive my wheel was slight tilted to the right. I was like ok, no problem. I redid the process and adjusted the wheel one notch\spline to the left of its current position. When I test drove it the second time, the wheel was offset to the left (more severely than it was offset to the right - maybe due to road cambers). So I was like ok, I redid this a third time thinking that if I shift it one more notch\spline to the right, I should be dead center. Well guess what, I took it for a test drive a third time and it was back to the same situation as the first test drive (i.e slight tilted to the right, maybe a few degrees off).

So it seems I am stuck between two splines that either make the wheel to far off center in one direction or the other. Any ideas of how I can fix this without messing with alignment. The new steering wheel is a re-trimmed piece from a 3rd party. Could there be something wrong with the used wheel. Is there a center position marker on the steering column (I couldn't tell any difference between the splines).

New wheel:

Driving down (Almost straight road with minimal camber) wheel is slight turned to the right (point to just about 1 o clock)

alignment done about 25 days ago

Last edited by kasher_khan; 02-25-2018 at 02:47 PM. Reason: updated images of wheel
Old 02-24-2018, 02:33 PM

Received 1,251 Likes on 947 Posts

Get the car realigned. Unless that's not an option?

Steering wheels are molded plastic over a metal skeleton. Manufacturing tolerances exist. Your situation is not a surprising one.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:38 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

Very common when swapping steering wheels, I have the same situation with a custom wrapped wheel. Re-aligning the car is the only way to centre the wheel.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Put your old steering wheel back and you will know whether the new steering wheel is causing the issue.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:11 PM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

The teeth on the steering wheel aren't fine enough to correct this. It's happened to me several times before. Usually a fit like this has around .020" of gap between mating teeth. What I like to do is slide the steering wheel on and tilt it towards the direction you want to fix (notice how the wheel can whobble left/right before you tighten it) and have someone hold it there while you tighten the nut.

The only way to fix it perfectly is adjust your tie rods. If you do it correctly, you won't mess up your alignment. Mark both tie rods with white-out, then do a 1/4 turn on each. Check steering wheel and repeat until you're satisfied.
The following 2 users liked this post by roel03:
kasher_khan (02-24-2018), LagunaPearlAP2 (07-20-2020)
Old 02-24-2018, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by roel03
The teeth on the steering wheel aren't fine enough to correct this. It's happened to me several times before. Usually a fit like this has around .020" of gap between mating teeth. What I like to do is slide the steering wheel on and tilt it towards the direction you want to fix (notice how the wheel can whobble left/right before you tighten it) and have someone hold it there while you tighten the nut.

The only way to fix it perfectly is adjust your tie rods. If you do it correctly, you won't mess up your alignment. Mark both tie rods with white-out, then do a 1/4 turn on each. Check steering wheel and repeat until you're satisfied.
Adjusting Tie rods is what I was thinking. Removing the steering wheel is scary. Each time I use the steering wheel puller, it seems I'm messing up the steering column (can't use the puller pad, the S2000 hole is too small for it). Also it comes un-tight with a lot of force, I have no idea how people are doing it on youtube with just elbow grease.

Last edited by kasher_khan; 02-24-2018 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:34 PM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by kasher_khan
Adjusting Tie rods is what I was thinking. Removing the steering wheel is scary. Each time I use the steering wheel puller, it seems I'm messing up the steering column (can't use the puller pad, the S2000 hole is too small for it). Also it comes unlose with a lot of force, I have no idea how people are doing it on youtube with just elbow grease.
Weird, I've never had to use a puller. I usually just hit it with my palm moving in a circle and it pops off, especially after the first time.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:29 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

When I swapped steering wheels they had to adjust both toe rods to get the angle right. Just take it back in for realignment.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice steering wheel - I want to add [do not] re-position your steering wheel, that is not the correct way of fixing the alignment issue with it. Take it back in and have them align it so it is at a perfect 12 O'clock.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by OneSilverS2k
Nice steering wheel - I want to add [do not] re-position your steering wheel, that is not the correct way of fixing the alignment issue with it. Take it back in and have them align it so it is at a perfect 12 O'clock.
Thanks. To be honest I am having second thoughts about the wheel. Almost wonder if I put my stock wheel back on, if it would be still straight. I am double minded about keeping the wheel. The perforated leather looks good, but I might go for the all Nappa leather look.

I spoke to my body shop. They said they can't mess with the toe without doing a complete realignment (like most have recommended here). Too bad it costs $150 at my shop (this is my third on in three months Maybe they'll discount it.

Quick Reply: New Steering wheel install - NOT centered!