S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Purchasing new clutch kit for S2k

Old 04-12-2009, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing new clutch kit for S2k

A friend of mine who owns an 03 S2k (its mugen tuned from Japan, not in the US) wishes to upgrade his clutch since the stock one is worn out. Since he is N/A right now, i've recommended him to opt for the ACT HS1-HDSS + ACT Prolite 600350 flywheel. I did some searching on the forum but couldn't find any one who have installed this clutch.

I just had a few thoughts in mind i.e.

1) The car is a weekend ride, just want a better clutch which will help in drags besides have a longer life than oem

2) Obviously the new clutch will help clamp better and the new lighter flywheel will help the car rev faster

Is this the right choice or you guys have some other recommendations?. Your comments and feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2009, 08:06 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The OEM friction disk is Exedy and is very good. Very few complain about how long they last...they seem to last an impressively long time.

If he wants a stiffer pedal and more rapid engagement, then the ACT pressure plate is a common mod.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:11 PM

i think that is a great idea.

i would highly recommend an exedy stage 2 clutch kit or even the centerforce clutch kit. im not %100 sure if centerforce still has there clutch kit in production though...

either way out of those three- act, exedy, and centerforce; they are all good quality products.

please stay away from the cheaper clutch kits i see floating around ebay...

i can tell you from experience, quality control is extremely poor and i have seen warped clutch disks defective flywheels that generate a lot of clutch chatter.

but compare the other two kits available. especially the exedy.

im actually ordering an act kit for myself next week.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:37 AM

i found this on the hardtopguy's online store. anyone purchased it? im also due for a clutch change soon, but am new to s2k's and am trying to get a feel of whats around and available.

http://www.hardtopguy.com/store/product.ph...34&cat=0&page=1
Old 04-14-2009, 03:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hardtopguy ACT Clutch gets an A friggin Plus from me. its slightly stiffer than stock (you know its working hard) and engages nicely. yeah its pricey, but you get what you pay for. While i was going to open it up i figured i might as well just get the lightweight flywheel as well... revs up and down very quickly but not annoyingly at all. rev-matching is pretty simple now too
Old 04-14-2009, 05:09 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

If you are considering the ACT pressure plate you should wait a couple months and get the new version with less thrust forces. https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...f=142&t=663489

That said, I have been running an ACT pressure plate with a factory disk and Comptech light weight chrome moly steel flywheel for almost 7 years.

I am very satisfied with the light weight flywheel and the ability to drive it smoothly.

At 20,000 miles I pulled the clutch and both the flywheel and pressure plate looked almost new. No hot spots or wear. I drive easy and smooth most of the time with occasional releases.
The disk was paper thin and had less than 500 miles left. I just added a new factory disk and bingo, great clutch.

In the future I will be checking the clutch and probably replacing the disk every 10k miles or less since I upped the power output recently.

I am and have been very satisfied with this clutch/flywheel setup.