S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

The quest for no exhaust drone

Old 08-21-2013, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

electronic cutout?
Old 08-21-2013, 10:37 PM

I'm now looking at mufflers from Magnaflow and Flowmaster:

Name:  Magnaflowmuffler.jpg
Views: 3599
Size:  154.8 KB
Name:  Flowmastermuffler.jpg
Views: 3428
Size:  41.8 KB

Anyone have any experience with these guys?

Those Tanabe and Milltek both sound really nice. Anyone local to LB want to meet up and let me hear their Tanabe or Milltek exhaust?
Old 08-22-2013, 06:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by UC Gordon
I have made these threads myself, and also responded to them multiple times. Unfortunately the only REAL option with no drone is the stock exhaust.
You should take a ride in a car with one of my full systems.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:25 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ALaS
Hi everyone, Wow thanks for all of the responses!

Good suggestions out there... Is it true, the Greddy Se is doomed with drone?! I'd like to know if anyone has seen this exhaust with additional resonators or mufflers.

Can someone explain what the UK mod is? I most likely will switch back to OEM after a couple of creative attempts with the Greddy. Anyone have suggestions on good high flow muffler or resonator brands?

For everyone's info - I'm not concerned with HP gains from the exhaust. As minimal as they are, I care more about a quality sound that's bearable. Under 65% throttle sounding stock is kind of what I'm looking for. OR, if I could somehow get a good tone throughout the rev range (similar to a G35/350Z stock exhaust). Sounds great in all situations. Additionally, i don't believe in running sans catalytic converter on my daily driver. So - this test pipe I have will most likely be sold (probably in conjunction with the Greddy as I will probably find out that it's impossible to reduce the drone).

Last question: it was mentioned earlier that a big muffler in the back would reduce the drone the most (similar to the OEM set up) but I was thinking putting the muffler as soon as possible (directly after the cat). Any thoughts on what might be better for reducing drone?

Thanks again for the quick responses!
Best regards,
Ericson
This is exactly what I was looking for and found in the UK exhaust. Plus it means you get to retain the clean OEM look as opposed to two giant canisters out the back.

Basically, a small pipe is welded between the inlet and loop of the exhaust piping on the exhaust it self, one on each side. This allows some gases to bypass entering the muffler and just go straight through. Mine is an 1.5" OD and sounds perfect.

There's also quite a few videos on youtube, one person uploaded a very nice HD video

Video of UK Exhaust Mod

Lots of Pictures of Modification
Old 08-22-2013, 07:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JASMA approved exhausts are all subject to hitting specific noise levels. Of all of the reviews I've read on the 5zigen, Mugen, Fuji, etc and everyone will say their exhausts don't drone.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Gernby
Originally Posted by UC Gordon' timestamp='1377132534' post='22738105
I have made these threads myself, and also responded to them multiple times. Unfortunately the only REAL option with no drone is the stock exhaust.

I've been interested in your system - but wouldn't there be a lot of modification required to fit the gernpipe to, say, the Tanabe Medalion Touring? I have found a couple videos on youtube, but it is unfair to judge using speakers - I bet it sounds much better in person.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by arsenal
Originally Posted by ALaS' timestamp='1377137186' post='22738204
Hi everyone, Wow thanks for all of the responses!

Good suggestions out there... Is it true, the Greddy Se is doomed with drone?! I'd like to know if anyone has seen this exhaust with additional resonators or mufflers.

Can someone explain what the UK mod is? I most likely will switch back to OEM after a couple of creative attempts with the Greddy. Anyone have suggestions on good high flow muffler or resonator brands?

For everyone's info - I'm not concerned with HP gains from the exhaust. As minimal as they are, I care more about a quality sound that's bearable. Under 65% throttle sounding stock is kind of what I'm looking for. OR, if I could somehow get a good tone throughout the rev range (similar to a G35/350Z stock exhaust). Sounds great in all situations. Additionally, i don't believe in running sans catalytic converter on my daily driver. So - this test pipe I have will most likely be sold (probably in conjunction with the Greddy as I will probably find out that it's impossible to reduce the drone).

Last question: it was mentioned earlier that a big muffler in the back would reduce the drone the most (similar to the OEM set up) but I was thinking putting the muffler as soon as possible (directly after the cat). Any thoughts on what might be better for reducing drone?

Thanks again for the quick responses!
Best regards,
Ericson
This is exactly what I was looking for and found in the UK exhaust. Plus it means you get to retain the clean OEM look as opposed to two giant canisters out the back.

Basically, a small pipe is welded between the inlet and loop of the exhaust piping on the exhaust it self, one on each side. This allows some gases to bypass entering the muffler and just go straight through. Mine is an 1.5" OD and sounds perfect.

There's also quite a few videos on youtube, one person uploaded a very nice HD video

Video of UK Exhaust Mod

Lots of Pictures of Modification
Holy!! It's perfect!

Should I even bother with adding a muffler to my Greddy SE? Damn... Dilemma.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:39 AM

Oem catback cutoff at split. Piping ran to a single megan mfg muffler voila no drone nice tone sleek look.

Name:  20130822_151446_zpse85efd57.jpg
Views: 3562
Size:  142.1 KB

Name:  20130209_143914_zpsb302a9a5.jpg
Views: 3517
Size:  137.2 KB
Old 08-23-2013, 10:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by UC Gordon
Originally Posted by Gernby' timestamp='1377182433' post='22738991

I've been interested in your system - but wouldn't there be a lot of modification required to fit the gernpipe to, say, the Tanabe Medalion Touring? I have found a couple videos on youtube, but it is unfair to judge using speakers - I bet it sounds much better in person.
It really isn't that complicated to retrofit a system with one of my mid-pipes. However, now that I am offering a full bolt-on system, most people won't bother with retrofitting an existing exhaust.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:04 AM

When I bought the greddy SE, it droned but was somewhat tolerable...as soon as I installed the berk HFC 70mm, it became a great sounding exhaust. drone was gone and its not annoying loud

Quick Reply: The quest for no exhaust drone