S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Shocks Blown: It's Suspension Time!

Old 09-18-2018, 07:30 AM

Received 1,254 Likes on 948 Posts

IDK why there's apprehension to buying an adjustable system because you don't want to constantly play with the setting.

Set it how you want. Then forget its adjustable. You still get the first part of that equation...which gives the product an edge.

If you're constantly playing with the settings "against your own will"....that's a self control issue.

I really like Bilstein PSS9's for their versatility and simplicity and tank-like build quality.

Ohlins are great too. The initial setting is maybe slightly more complex. It requires a measuring tape and peice of paper. Just like they do at NASA. Not sure what they cost nowadays though. They are slightly overkill if you're ONLY street driving.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:13 AM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
IDK why there's apprehension to buying an adjustable system because you don't want to constantly play with the setting.
Adjusters stick/freeze up, shock body threads/perches become corroded and then become another issue. Cheaper coilovers need rebuilds more often due to inferior parts.
He doesn't want nor need the adjustability. The OEM CR units are built to withstand all weather conditions without some sort of service schedule. Keep It Simple Stupid.

I was going to mention the Bilsteins as well.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:32 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

FYI for those that are not aware, the H&R coilovers are Bilstein pss shocks (the non adjustable ones) with H&R springs in place of the Bilstein ones.

The spring rates on the H&R are different than pss.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car_Analogy are you saying H&R coilovers are Bilstein PSS w/ higher spring rates?

I came from the BMW scene a decade ago and Bilstein was king in terms of quality affordable coilovers. They seem to be too soft amongst the S2K group. My knee jerk was to go with Bilstein at first until I heard they are pretty soft.

Manga: I really want to go with new parts... that list adds up real quick.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:20 AM

Bilstein pss spring rates: (both pss & pss9)
345/285

H&R coilovers spring rates:
345/345

So basically the H&R just aren't as understeer happy as the pss.

Now, its been said the pss shocks can handle a much siffer spring even without getting them revalved. But then that is extra cost, and you're approaching Ohlins territory, which are clearly superior.

The pss internals are the same as their race shocks, so lots of parts, lots of knowledge out there for customizing these. So an option is buy a well used set cheap, buy the springs you want, have them revalved for that spring, then have an awesome set of rugged, beautifully performing shocks.

But I think you really want Ohlins, you just don't know it yet. As was said, once they are setup right, you don't need to touch them again.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:45 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Also, IMHO, CR shocks are also waaaaay too stiff for a daily. Lol!
Old 09-18-2018, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by spaded.racer
Adjusters stick/freeze up, shock body threads/perches become corroded and then become another issue. Cheaper coilovers need rebuilds more often due to inferior parts.
He doesn't want nor need the adjustability. The OEM CR units are built to withstand all weather conditions without some sort of service schedule. Keep It Simple Stupid.

I was going to mention the Bilsteins as well.

Idk man.

If the adjusters freeze over time...well, now you have non-adjustables....which is what you'd be getting from day 1 with non-adjustables.

I live in IL, and I haven't ever seen a stuck shock adjuster. Stuck spring perches sometimes happen...but antiseize can prevent that.

Also...these things only matter if you're making changes. Again, with adjustables...you can set it how you want it from the beginning, and then forget it. The advantage is the initial ability to customize.

CR shocks aren't really meant to be used at lower ride heights than stock. People do it...and it works out in some ways...but they're not designed to do so.

The cost is the same or more as a quality adjustable setup.

Some people prefer CR shocks...and that's totally fine. I guess I'm just not seeing the downside to having adjustment.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:44 PM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

I'm trying to decide between the Ohlins and Buddy Club coils... The car will mostly be a street car.
Any insight into which are better?
Old 09-19-2018, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by MrFunk
I'm trying to decide between the Ohlins and Buddy Club coils... The car will mostly be a street car.
Any insight into which are better?
This can't really be a serious question...
Old 09-19-2018, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
This can't really be a serious question...

The only things I read were "be serious".
How can I help you?

Quick Reply: Shocks Blown: It's Suspension Time!