S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Ski Rack on a hardtop?

Old 09-05-2011, 12:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess it depends on how much gear you're setting onto the rack. If it's just a pair of skis or snowboards for 2 then I wouldn't worry about stressing the hard top. Don't be worried about the naysayers with s2k + snow because that is tire dependent; not car dependent. Best of luck and snap some photos for us.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say do it! It would be really cool to see.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:10 PM

I highly doubt there are any ski racks that were made specifically for the Honda OEM hardtop, let alone the Mugen hardtop. However, I would imagine the universal ski racks you find at your local sporting goods/automotive store (something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...YA7PSX8A7JQ453) would probably fit no problem. I am unsure about the amount of stress it would put on the hardtop though, or if it's even enough to do any harm but, I have yet to see any convertible hardtops with a rack on them so I'm guessing this might be an indication that it wouldn't be a good idea. But, then again you're only hauling I'm guessing less than 30-40 pounds of equipment so I don't think it could do much harm if any. I think the better option, one of which you are already aware of is either a trunk rack or installing a hitch and getting a hitch rack. I have seen many smaller convertibles and even other S2000 owners do this and none have reported any damage to their vehicles when used correctly.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:12 AM

I've driven my s2k in the snow n/a and now when it is turbo'd. All you need is snow tires and some driving skill. It's alot of fun drving in the snow

A roof rack would be nice, although i just put my snowboard and gear in my passenger seat. It fits just barely if you angle it. I'm 6'ft to so my board is pretty good size.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go for it!
Old 09-06-2011, 12:33 PM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I've thought about having a roof-rack on my hardtop... but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

I think the OEM would fair better than any of the aftermarket hardtops, since it's actually metal. but, with a bike rack on the OEM hardtop, I can't imagine the bike causing a huge amount of additional stress.

Now, the aftermarket hardtops are a different story. Methinks the resin and build quality would play a role in how well it'll handle an additional 50lbs? of equipment.

What I would do is... test it. Buy a yakima roof rack (or borrow one)... and mount it up. drive around to see if it causes any problems. then toss some gear on it, retest.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:04 PM

consider the amount of stress that would be on the hardtop latches at speed. When a snowboard is on the roof of a car, it produces lift. I'm not sure if the hardtop latches are designed to handle that type of load.

I wouldn't do it. You could drive a minivan at the racetrack but why would you?
Old 09-06-2011, 01:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

S2k is a great car in the snow with proper tires.

But since this is about mounting a roof rack on a hard top and NOT ABOUT DRIVING ON SNOW, I'd advise against it.

OEM top would be best to handle increased stress since FRP might not be strong enough at the mounting points of the brackets to support the additional load.

Then the question is HOW would you mount it to the top??? If it simply clamped on to the sides I'd think it might damage the window seals and I don't think the windows would roll up all the way.

I'd get a removable boot rack, or get a trailer hitch and mount up a extended thing on to it to attach your board.

In other words, no I don't think it can be done and I've never seen it done.

Good luck though
Old 09-07-2011, 09:12 AM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by unison21
I wouldn't do it. You could drive a minivan at the racetrack but why would you?
cause it's awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KiC03_wVjc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XvjVvFdMIY

Old 09-08-2011, 01:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Alternate option: Hitch mounted ski rack.

Quick Reply: Ski Rack on a hardtop?