S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Skunk2 Shift Knob Review

Old 10-01-2019, 12:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Skunk2 Shift Knob Review

Perhaps a boring thing to review but I am doing this because the effect of the swap was much greater than I expected. In short, I am very happy with this knob and can highly recommend it. I bought it from Amazon and the seller was listed as Skunk2 Racing. I would recommend you buy from Skunk2 or other approved vendors as I have heard of counterfeit products out there. Mine came in a really nice little box with a brochure of other Skunk2 products and such.

When I bought the car it came with a Science of Speed Rapid Shift Knob and I drove it for about a year. Not a bad knob but it was a little small for my hands, I didn't love the shape, no shift pattern, it would back out due to vibrations eventually and have to be re-tightened often, and I read in another thread that the weighted Skunk2 knob improved shifting feel. It is worth noting that the SOS knob and the Skunk2 knob both weigh about the same (~400 grams) so perhaps the only real difference is the shape and the fact that the Skunk2 knob is not countersunk. Since it is not countersunk it sits just a little higher than the SOS knob. That fact is probably the real factor here since you will have a little more torque on the shift forks.

With the new Skunk2 knob I can serious say the shifting feel is much better. I feel like I have better control because the shape fits the hand better and the shifts are less "crunchy" now. I too suffer from a reluctant first gear from time to time and a second gear where you can often feel the synchros quite a bit. I have tried different fluids and recently replaced the clutch and clutch hydraulics for a different reason. While the new clutch and hydraulics much improved the shifting it was still very mechanical. I can't say exactly how or why but I can say this simple little upgrade has made a difference. Your mileage mar vary as they say but at the very least it is a stylish little knob that adds some pizzazz to the cockpit.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought one from amazon and returned it back to the sender as it was counterfeit. I sent him what a real one and a their version looked like and he got pissed. Oh well.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:22 PM

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

I had this knob. Feels nice and this is why. It’s almost 3x heavier than the stock knob, and heavier than a can of pop.

the renegade countersunk one is close, but the renegade extended shift knob blows it all the water. Same weight as the skunk2 but twice as tall which feels amazing!
Old 10-01-2019, 10:20 PM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by e28oo00oo

With the new Skunk2 knob I can serious say the shifting feel is much better. I feel like I have better control because the shape fits the hand better and the shifts are less "crunchy" now. I too suffer from a reluctant first gear from time to time and a second gear where you can often feel the synchros quite a bit. I have tried different fluids and recently replaced the clutch and clutch hydraulics for a different reason. While the new clutch and hydraulics much improved the shifting it was still very mechanical. I can't say exactly how or why but I can say this simple little upgrade has made a difference. Your mileage mar vary as they say but at the very least it is a stylish little knob that adds some pizzazz to the cockpit.
Yeah, I guess I am glad I'm not the only one with those 1st and 2nd gear characteristics. For me, they're intermittent where:
1st gear - it's reluctant every once in a while
1st -> 2nd - sometimes it feels and sounds like I'm rowing through a box of tools and wrenches

I also suffer from intermittent clutch drag as well.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:40 AM

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

I'm going to suggest here if you haven't already you should grease your shifter mechanism. While you're in there, if you have a lot of miles you might consider replacing the ball located on the end of the shifter as well.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:40 AM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Langelo DeMysterioso
I'm going to suggest here if you haven't already you should grease your shifter mechanism. While you're in there, if you have a lot of miles you might consider replacing the ball located on the end of the shifter as well.
Shifter was regreased by my previous owner and I don't experience any slop in the shifter.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:54 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup I have also regreased my shifter. It did help but 1st and 2nd gear are still notchy. The new clutch and clutch hydraulics helped and the shifter helped but still a little notchy. 3rd and 4th are fine and 1st and 2nd are better once everything is really really warm. I think it just it what it is.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think they are about 440g but then i sold it not long ago and got myself two sets of Power Shift knob

They are about 580 - 600g which feels very great and solid !