S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Tein coilovers question

Old 04-04-2017, 05:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tein coilovers question

Looking to buy flex z's. Tein's website says the "base ride height drop" is -1 inch front & rear, is that the set height out of the box? Have you guys ever opened a box of coilovers that had random heights adjusted? This would be my first time buying coilovers and I'd like to save the trouble of measuring & adjusting over and over, as -1" is exactly what I want.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:40 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

They give you a reference measurement.

Example:
If you want your ride height to be (X), then:
-set your preload to (--)
-set the spring height to (--)
-set bottom bracket height to (--).

you do all this BEFORE installing them to the car.

Every car is different. Every install is different. Springs have small differences in rate even though they are rated the same.

So your final value may vary, even after making all the written settings.

So you can then adjust the thread length to get where you want to be.

For the sake of the most consistency:
-measure properly
-follow directions
-CLOCK YOUR BUSHINGS (or your ride heights will vary wildly...and you'll tear your poor bushings).

Why are you buying a full body coilover if you want simplicity? These promote massive amounts of adjustment and different ways to adjust to customize a setup. Its fairly complex to get it right. Manufacturers just provide reference values.

Are you buying them for price? Brand recognition? Other reason?
Old 04-04-2017, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B serious
They give you a reference measurement.

Example:
If you want your ride height to be (X), then:
-set your preload to (--)
-set the spring height to (--)
-set bottom bracket height to (--).

you do all this BEFORE installing them to the car.

Every car is different. Every install is different. Springs have small differences in rate even though they are rated the same.

So your final value may vary, even after making all the written settings.

So you can then adjust the thread length to get where you want to be.

For the sake of the most consistency:
-measure properly
-follow directions
-CLOCK YOUR BUSHINGS (or your ride heights will vary wildly...and you'll tear your poor bushings).

Why are you buying a full body coilover if you want simplicity? These promote massive amounts of adjustment and different ways to adjust to customize a setup. Its fairly complex to get it right. Manufacturers just provide reference values.

Are you buying them for price? Brand recognition? Other reason?
Very helpful information thanks!
My oems have 80k on them, and spring has some sagging on passenger side, so its time I change it. I'm also hoping going aftermarket will give me a more comfortable ride. I'm choosing Tein flex because it seems to have the best reviews in this particular price range.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:06 PM

What is your price range? Although I do genuinely like Tein...I am not sure that the Flex Z will be more comfortable than stock...unless you spend a good amount of time on setup.

Again, any full body coilover is a bit complex.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:26 PM

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by jXxviii
Looking to buy flex z's. Tein's website says the "base ride height drop" is -1 inch front & rear, is that the set height out of the box? Have you guys ever opened a box of coilovers that had random heights adjusted? This would be my first time buying coilovers and I'd like to save the trouble of measuring & adjusting over and over, as -1" is exactly what I want.

I'm in the process of installing Flex Z's and the rears were a bit off from their suggested measurements. I'll be going lower so it wasn't an issue to me.

With most of the coilovers you'll either have to assemble them or make fine adjustments for them to be within the recommended specs. Perhaps lowering springs are a better option for you.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:21 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just installed a set of Tein Flex Z Coilovers this past weekend, just a hair over an hour for all 4 corners. The Flex Z's ride smoother than factory, no harshness when hitting bumps or cracks in the road, but are slightly stiffer than factory as I'd expect with a 10k front and rear spring rate, They can go as low as you want, or you can put them at factory height. As far as recommended heights, inside the box included a book of height adjustments and how-to's for the heights and where to set everything at.

Pay attention when tightening the bolts down as you need to pre-load the suspension as B Serious mentioned, the bushings WILL tear if you don't.

The instructions and a measuring tape are your best friends.

Also, I keep seeing that everyone says you need to remove the fuel filler pipe to install the driver side rear, With a swivvle and the right extension, you can get around it.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:05 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

You guys are also loosening and re-torquing all the a-arm bushings as well to reclock them?
Old 04-20-2017, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by DefSport
You guys are also loosening and re-torquing all the a-arm bushings as well to reclock them?
Of course. Always clocked to current height.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:51 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Just making sure. Not sure how one could get 4 coilovers in and reclock all bushings in an hour, so I was questioning if I was missing something.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by DefSport
Just making sure. Not sure how one could get 4 coilovers in and reclock all bushings in an hour, so I was questioning if I was missing something.

About 45mins to 1hr is my timeframe for install (not including final height setup/adjustments).

But...my car has never seen winter, I torque things so they come apart as they should, and I've done this a bunch of times.

I also use power tools to disassemble and re-snug.

45mins-1hr also does not include assembly of the actual coilover...but DOES include initial height setup.